Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-17, 07:10 PM  
geojill

I am interested in branching out to some non-Vinyasa styles. I think I have developed arthritis in my right thumb, and I really need to avoid a bunch of vinyasas and a bunch of downward dogs. They seem to aggravate my thumb. Not sure where to start with this, although I did search and find some super old threads about people hating vinyasas. The threads were several years old, so I wonder what else is out there.
Old 02-09-17, 08:39 PM  
hollymarie

I have just started taking live yoga classes, and so far am enjoying them. There's one instructor I really like, but she's only there for one class.
hollymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 09:12 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I have never taken a live class. I am too intimidated and shy. There is a yoga studio five minutes from my house and Erin Motz from Do Yoga With Me is holding a workshop a half hour from me next month. Maybe next year...
Sherry, I practiced at home for about 5 years before going to a class. My first classes were through my town's community education program and the local JCC; these might be good alternatives for you. Some studios are more intimidating than others--the one where I teach now is small and extremely welcoming to beginners.

Mary, Pam gave you some good options for Yin. If you make a playlist or two, it definitely helps with the pre-planning--I don't like having to spend time searching either! Of the YT practices Pam has listed, I especially like SarahBeth Yoga and Yoga with Kassandra.

Jill, unfortunately most DVDs out do seem to have some version of vinyasa, although not all. Style-wise, Yin is great if you still want a deep stretch, and restorative is perfect if you just want to relax. A couple of DVDs I would recommend that are more of a gentle flow (but NOT vinyasa) are Jillian Pransky's Calm Body Clear Mind and Yoga for Stress Reduction by Hala Khouri.

Betsy, your class sounds nice! One of the instructors I used to go to was also a nurse; I've also had several instructors who are massage therapists, which I think translates well to teaching yoga. I wish I had more anatomical knowledge to guide my own teaching!

Penny, thanks for the mention! I'm wondering what review it was I wrote where I talked about contraindications--maybe that was something that they discussed in the video itself? I truly believe that yoga is safe for the vast majority of people, BUT it is important to listen to your body, as you should NEVER feel pain. You also should know if you have specific limitations based on a specific health condition (e.g., those with detached retina shouldn't do inversions, those with a bulging disc need to restrict forward bending, etc.). Otherwise, yoga is probably safer than most other forms of exercise.

Rhonda, I have another YJ DVD with Jason Crandall that I like. Also, I subscribe to his blog, and he posts sequences there--I use them sometimes to help plan classes. I find him a bit dry at times, but I also like how he explains things clearly and simply.

Phyllis, I've been doing yoga daily since January 1st too--in fact, today is officially the last day of my 40 day sadhana. However, I do yoga more days than not, so this isn't all that significant any more.

See, when you get me started talking about yoga, I can't shut up.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 09:59 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hi Beth, an excellent post! And congrats on finishing your sadhana!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 10:02 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geojill View Post
I am interested in branching out to some non-Vinyasa styles. I think I have developed arthritis in my right thumb, and I really need to avoid a bunch of geniuses and a bunch of downward dogs. They seem to aggravate my thumb. Not sure where to start with this, although I did search and find some super old threads about people hating vinyasas. The threads were several years old, so I wonder what else is out there.
Hi Jill, this YouTube playlist might interest you if you can stream as it's all standing practices. I compiled it when I was traveling and didn't have much space or a yoga mat.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...c_TwnlRepYqwUg

[EDIT] I especially like the Mountain Warrior practice with Rudy Mettia

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 02-09-17, 10:04 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pam, ((waves))--I am always stealing from your YT playlists!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 10:13 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Pam, ((waves))--I am always stealing from your YT playlists!
Lol, please do!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

Old 02-09-17, 10:55 PM  
geojill

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Hi Jill, this YouTube playlist might interest you if you can stream as it's all standing practices. I compiled it when I was traveling and didn't have much space or a yoga mat.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...c_TwnlRepYqwUg

[EDIT] I especially like the Mountain Warrior practice with Rudy Mettia
Thank you!! I will check it out this weekend.
Old 02-09-17, 11:44 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

For those wanting a shorter length yin that focuses on hips, I just did this one and it really relieved some pain I was having:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBaY8yYwd88
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 04:16 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Another one who hates vinyasa style classes! I am really enjoying hatha yoga classes where you hold a pose for 3-6 breaths and then move on to the next; maybe some gentle movement here and there. Most of the classes that I did during the 30-Day Transform Your Life Challenge were like that. It seems that most classes in that format are considered gentle, or beginner. I wouldn't mind working up to more challenging poses, but not within a vinyasa sequence.
-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amy weintraub, biff mithoefer, legs up the wall, namaste yoga, nirvair, yoga, yoga audios