Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-17, 10:59 AM  
Eibhinn

Ruth Bader Ginsburg Workout

I stumbled across an article on Politico today where the reporter went to Ruth Bader Ginsburg's personal trainer and went through her regular workout routine. Caveat here - obviously, given the source, the fitness component of this article comes intertwined with a lot of political opinions that some of us will agree with, some disagree, and none of us will discuss here because it's against the rules. Agreed?

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...-breyer-214821

I'm really impressed that 83 year old Ginsburg can do this workout. I'm about 50 years younger, and I must sheepishly admit that I currently can't do 10 regular push-ups. And I now feel adequately shamed to fix that.

Along with the goofy commentary, there is some important discussion of the importance of exercise as we age. I was particularly glad to see the part about the need for squats to make sure we can get up from the toilet unassisted. I remember reading something about that here on VF years ago (that most people end up in nursing homes due to the loss of posterior chain strength) and it always stuck with me.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-17, 11:22 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I am chuckling over the image of Justice Ginsburg doing a side plank in her robe and lace collar!
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-17, 12:43 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

love it.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-17, 12:47 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

That's why she's The Notorious RBG!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-17, 04:01 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I hadn't known that she works out; sounds like she's strong. I had read about how she kept working during chemotherapy, following Sandra Day O'Connor's advice to get the chemo right before the weekend.
monterey vidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-18, 07:34 PM  
LAC

Old Thread Alert

I vaguely remember seeing this story about RBG's workout last year, but didn't really pay attention. This week, the RBG Workout book by her trainer, Bryant Johnson, popped up in my Amazon recommendations and I decided to order it.

It's a relatively small book and consists mainly of the workout (warm up suggestions, stretches, strength training, repeat stretches for cool down), without a lot of extraneous chatter. One complaint I have is that it isn't spiral bound and won't lie flat. I think that should be mandatory for exercise books. It shows the exercises at the level RBG currently performs them, together with modifications for people who need to work up to her level (i.e., she does full-on pushups on the floor, but it explains how to start with wall pushups and work up to the floor). It also shows at home alternatives for the exercises that require gym equipment. Once someone is familiar with the workout, it should take about an hour, two times a week.

Interesting fact from the preface of the book: after RBG had been doing this workout for a few years, her bone density increased and has continued to be good. That was music to my ears!
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-18, 08:19 AM  
DCW

What a role model she is!!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-18, 08:26 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

LAC thank you for posting about the book. Staples and other photocopy type places can spiral bind a book for you if it's paperback.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-18, 10:54 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I gave this book to my brother in law last year since he sent me the original article in Politico about her trainer.
My BIL is pretty active and in addition to running and yoga does some weight training in his small NYC apartment so I thought he would like the book.

ETA: I saw a video of RBG doing her workout ( I think it was with Steve Colbert??) and she does do push ups from her toes but does not lower more than halfway down. Still she is awesome.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-18, 04:02 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

thanks for the head's up about the RBG workout - our library has 7 copies, so i requested it.

i hope she's recovering well from her surgery this past week.

wow, she's survived cancer twice before this latest diagnosis.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rbg, rbg workout, ruth bader ginsburg