Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-13-14, 09:28 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Spartacus Workout Total Body Blitz

This is my review of Spartacus Workout Total Body Blitz from Men's Health & Women's Health (not to be confused with other Spartacus workouts out there).

The Men's Health & Women's Health Spartacus workouts have a backstory. Rachel Cosgrove was asked to design a workout to get the actors into shape for the STARZ TV show Spartacus. Spartacus 1.0, 2.0, & 3.0 were created. They appeared in the magazines as paper workouts and videos that served as circuit timers for each of the these workouts were developed. When it came time to create DVD workouts based on the one's created by Cosgrove with a lead instructor and background exercisers, David Jack was added to the mix. Total Body Blitz and Triple Set Torchers were the first two DVDs in the Men's Health and Women's Health Spartacus series. Since those first 2, 3 more workouts round out the Spartacus workout set.

While designed by Rachel Cosgrove, the workouts are led by David Jack. In addition to David, there are 4 other exercisers, 2 males and 2 female. The set reminds me a bit of a loft with brick walls, cement floor, and a large window in the background. All the exercisers are wearing athletic style clothes and no one is scantily clad or falling out of their clothing.

The workout is structured into 10 exercises that make up a round. This round is then repeated two more times. In between each round is a 1 minute rest. Each time the round is repeated the exercise is changed slightly to make it harder than it was done in the previous round (progressive intensity). Since there is no separate warm up, the first round has pretty simple versions of the exercises and functions as the warm up. The workout also follows a HIIT format, with a certain amount of time spent doing an exercise followed by a rest period. In round one it's 20 seconds work followed by 20 seconds rest. In rounds 2 & 3 it's 20 seconds work followed by 40 seconds rest. In addition to the 3 rounds, the workout ends with 5 exercises done twice to create 2 rounds (David Jack calls this a 'finisher'). In the bonus rounds the work periods are 20 seconds with either 20 seconds (first round) or 10 seconds (second round) rest.

In terms of equipment, 1-2 sets of dumbbells are needed. A kettlebell and a mat are optional.

Below are the exercises. I've tried to describe the progression for each move. These may not be in the exact order they are in the workout.

1)Reverse lunge/reverse lunge faster or with weight/reverse lunge with weight or explosive reverse lunge
2)Alternating T-Stand/alternating T-Stand with push up/alternating T-Stand with push up and leg raise
3)Renegade rows on knees/renegade rows in plank/moving renegade rows in plank
4)Alternating split lunge/explosive split lunge/deeper explosive split lunge
5)Goblet squat with rotation/weighted goblet squat with rotation/more weight goblet squat with rotation
6)Squat with overhead press/weighted squat with overhead press/weighted squat with alternating arms overhead press
7)Skaters/skaters landing on one foot/explosive skaters
8)Hip hinges/dumbbell swings/heavier weight dumbbell swings
9)Upright rows/heavier weight upright rows/explosive upright rows
10)Squats to calf raise/squat jumps/higher squat jumps or tuck jumps

Bonus 5 exercise finisher
1)Biceps curls
2)Triceps presses
3)Glute bridges
4)Rotating planks
5)Prone back raises

This workout starts out feeling easy. If you keep to the round one presentation of each exercise this workout is very doable for beginners. If you do the progressions and really push yourself during the work phases this workout is suitable for low advanced exercisers. I consider myself low advanced and by the end I was breathing heavily and broke a good sweat. Hardcore exercisers will probably find this workout is not enough for them as presented. They could make it harder by working through the rest periods, using heavier weight, and really picking up the pace. The onscreen exercisers are all going at their own pace and are using various weights. Most people will be able to find someone who matches their effort level who they can follow along with as far as pacing, etc. David Jack is typically not doing the exercises and is instead walking among the background exercisers pointing out form, showing how they are modifying, urging encouragement, etc. He's quite handsome so is very easy on the eyes. His comments don't focus on 'getting into jeans' or 'getting ripped' and instead focus on technique, pushing yourself, being explosive, etc.

The music is pretty non-descript and didn't stand out as either exceptional or hideous to me. There is a music off option from the main menu so you have the option of playing your own.

I need shorter workouts that get a lot accomplished in the short amount of time due to my work schedule. Total Body Blitz certainly fits the bill and clocks in at 33 minutes. Overall, I enjoyed it a lot and give it a thumbs up!

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard

Last edited by dutchgirl; 09-14-14 at 11:24 AM. Reason: updating the evolution of the program
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 06:42 AM  
amoodygirl

Sabine - is this a new one or more recently released? I have the original Spartacus workouts but don't have this one.

Thanks!
Diane

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 06:43 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Thanks for the breakdown! I was looking at this yesterday.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 08:04 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

There's an original? This one is part of the set I purchased within the last year.
Old 09-14-14, 09:55 AM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Quote:
Sabine - is this a new one or more recently released? I have the original Spartacus workouts but don't have this one.
Oops! I might have messed this up. From what I could gather, the two disc set of Total Body Blitz and Triple Set Torchers were the first ones released of the current Spartacus workouts available. The copyright is 2012. I didn't know there was another workout before these. Is it no longer in print? I can't find it on either the Men's Health or Women's Health sites.
Quote:
There's an original? This one is part of the set I purchased within the last year.
By original I meant Total Body Blitz and the second workout in the set, Triple Set Torchers, were the first released of the current 5 Spartacus workouts available. Diane corrected me that there may be a workout that was released before and is no longer in print. I'll amend my review as I get more information.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rachel cosgrove