Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-14, 01:09 PM  
topfitmama

Losing My Attention Span!

I used to do 45-60 minute workouts and not feel bored or like it was taking too long. I enjoyed that hour to myself.
Then last winter I started doing only short workouts, never more than 30 minutes, preceded or followed by a walk outside on days when I didn't have to go somewhere when the kids left for school.
Now all I want to do are short workouts, and I have no patience for total body workout DVDs, with the typical UB+LB+Abs. I want DVDs with either short total body workouts or 10-15 minute workouts that I can string together, and then I don't usually do more than 2-3 (for 30 minutes).
I go for a brisk 30-40 minute walk most days, so it's not like I don't want to exercise, I just need to break it up.

Am I alone?
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-14, 01:14 PM  
3ks

Nope...I used to love 60-90 min workouts. Not any more. I am good at 20 min and 30 min. LOL...I think that as we get older (some of us), we are either too tired, too busy, too overwhelmed or just too exhausted to give up more than those 30-40 min, tops, of our life. I am good. I'll take it.
Old 09-09-14, 01:26 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
Am I alone?
LOL, you *know* you are not alone Ruth. I am loving the 20-40 minute slot, sometimes even 15 mins at a time feels refreshing. Some longer workouts still feel pretty good once in a while but most long workouts just feel like they drag on and on. But doing 20 minutes in the morning, 20-30 in the afternoon, plus a brisk walk or two - it's adding up to 60-90 minutes, just on my terms. It's all good!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-14, 01:35 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

No, you're not alone. The way I exercise and the amount of time I spend on it has changed considerably. I'm the proverbial clock watcher.
Old 09-09-14, 01:44 PM  
sewoodson
VF Supporter

You are not alone. I used to workout for 90 minutes and now I'm doing good to do a 45 - 60 minutes in a day. I was wondering what happened to me. I hated doing Tapout XT 2 because most of those workouts were over 60 minutes. I hated every minute of it and they were not bad workouts.
sewoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-14, 02:06 PM  
marya

Well, I've never been one for exercise marathons. From 45 mins. up to an hour has always worked well. More than that--I feel exhausted. Less than 45 and I usually don't feel any effect--with the exception of flexibility routines; for those, I prefer the shorter options.

One change I regret: although I'm retired, I just don't seem able to work out in the evenings any more, and evenings used to be my prime time.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-14, 02:21 PM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ks View Post
Nope...I used to love 60-90 min workouts. Not any more. I am good at 20 min and 30 min. LOL...I think that as we get older (some of us), we are either too tired, too busy, too overwhelmed or just too exhausted to give up more than those 30-40 min, tops, of our life. I am good. I'll take it.
Here here! Never thought I'd see the day when I was completely satisfied with giving it my all for 30 min!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-14, 03:39 PM  
Indy

I am right there with you. I used to think that if anybody put out a workout video that was less than an hour - then it wasn't a serious workout and it wasn't worth my time. I remember doing 120mins at a time - it was premix on a Cathe dvd and I thought, what does it matter - once I get started I'll finish 120mins and I did. Now, I don't even want to do a 45min workout and I don't want any puke in the bucket things anymore. I don't want to do burpees or any other high powered, high intensity movements. I have calmed way, way down.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-14, 03:45 PM  
topfitmama

It's nice to know I'm in such good company.
And, seriously, 90-120 minute workouts? I don't think I've ever gone over the 60 minute mark

Right now I'm doing The Firm Express. I'm enjoying the sweat and the intensity, but only in short bursts. I know I'll probably have to go for more gentle workouts in the colder months so I'm enjoying them all the more. It's nice to be told that I only have to do that one 20 minute workout. Nothing like being told what you want to hear
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-14, 04:01 PM  
vigirl

I can totally relate. I used to do 60min+ workouts before my daughter was born. Now I cannot tolerate anything longer than 30min. Occasionally I'll do an Ellen Barrett that's 45min. But more often than not, I'm doing 20, 30 min tops. And I've stopped buying workouts that are longer too.

In fact I noticed that I'm not using many DVD's these days. I'll usually just do online streaming workouts since there are so many good ones. They're usually short and if I want I can string a few together.
vigirl is offline   Reply With Quote