Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-20, 09:49 AM  
Gams

Counting steps

Is anyone here still counting steps? I’ve gotten back into it and after I was regularly getting 10,000 steps a day, I now aim for at least 11,000. It’s usually not a problem unless the weather is bad and I can’t walk the dog and it’s a strength training day because I don’t get many steps with a weight workout. I’ve gotten a little obsessive - one of the dogs needed to go out last night at 2:00 a.m., so I made sure I grabbed my pedometer when I got out of bed. 😂
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-20, 10:23 AM  
Vantreesta

I've been obsessively tracking my steps since at least 2004. I haven't given up my very accurate pedometer even though I also have been wearing Fitbits since 2014.

I'm pretty sure there's a step tracking check in here.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-20, 10:29 AM  
Gams

I love my pedometer, too. I think it’s the Omron HJ-112. I’ve had it a long time.
Old 10-12-20, 11:15 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I love my pedometer, too. I think it’s the Omron HJ-112. I’ve had it a long time.
I don't use mine anymore, but this is the one I used for many years and loved it. It always matched the steps on my iPhone pretty closely, too.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-20, 12:06 PM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

I've worn my Fitbit One for a gazillion years it seems.
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-20, 12:31 PM  
Mickey12

I still wear my fitbit every day, but I don't track my steps unless I'm in a workweek challenge. One of my co-workers invites me every once in a while. It's definitely a motivator to get more steps!

When I first started wearing it, I was pretty compulsive about it. At the end of the day I would march in place just to get to the next milestone.

I get somewhat irritated though that when I'm sitting at my desk just pushing papers (literally), it tracks my arm movement as steps and when I'm doing things like weight training it doesn't count it as active minutes.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-20, 12:42 PM  
Gams

Kim, we did a challenge once among family and friends to see who could get the most steps. If I was in the bathroom longer than usual at night, my husband would holler, “I know what you’re doing in there!!’l 🤣
Old 10-12-20, 01:18 PM  
Vantreesta

My pedometer is a New-Lifestyles. I have had two of them since 2004. Though the price was higher, in the end they saved me money after buying junky one after another at stores. This brand was used as a bench mark to test the accuracy of other pedometers.

I have been known to march in place to hit my goal as well.

And accuracy is the biggest reason I won't give up my pedometer. My wrist Fitbits usually actually are lower than my pedometer but oftentimes are way higher if I'm doing a lot of cleaning or baking.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-20, 03:05 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I don't use mine anymore, but this is the one I used for many years and loved it. It always matched the steps on my iPhone pretty closely, too.

Erica
i used that Omron model for many years.

i recently started using a FitBit Charge 2! it was a gift from DH 2 years ago. it works pretty good, and i get little reminders about standing up and moving around.

There is a VF FitBit check-in where Vfers log their steps. i went there to get help on setting up my FitBit and they were very welcoming.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-20, 03:36 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

I still wear my fitbit, it's an old one that you put into a soft holder that clips to your waistband or bra. They don't make it any more, and I don't want one with a wrist band because I didn't think they'd be accurate.

I got in the habit years ago of walking or jogging in place while I brush my teeth or wash my hands to get more steps in.

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pedometer, step count, steps, steps per day