Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-31-03, 08:39 AM  
Stac

Angry Why are people so rude?

Sorry in advance everyone, but I just had to vent.

I went to the gym yesterday to do a class and to lift some weights. So, I started with lifting. I noticed a personal trainer working out his client on a nearby machine. They did two sets of tricep and bicep exercises and moved on. I figured they were done, so I walked over to the machine and the idiot trainer steps in front of the machine and says "We need to finish up." I said to this person, "You're client is working on another machine, can't I just do two sets of tricep dips." And the trainer is like, "We are using this machine."

I was ticked so I go to complain to the manager. The manager, who is smacking his chewing gum while I'm talking to him, practically blows me off.

Ugh. Finally, I go back upstairs to the studio for my step class. I've already set up my step and the class is about to begin. There is a lot of room up front by the instructor. As the instructor is about to begin, this idiot woman sets up her step right next to me and the person next to me. There is no space for the idiot woman (my step is an inch from hers now). And she has the nerve to tell me that I can move up front where there's room. I looked at her and said, "Why don't you move?"

What is up with people? Do you lose your courtesy genes at the door of the gym? Now I know that I made the right decision to quit this gym.

Sorry, for the diatribe. Stac
Stac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-03, 08:55 AM  
Mindi
VF Supporter

That's one reason

why I like to work out at home. I deal w/enough rude people during my working hours, I don't need em at my workouts too.

Sorry that happened Stac. Don't let em get you down!
Mindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-03, 09:11 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Stac,

Yes there are jerks in every gym. The trainer's behavior is pretty shocking in that he should SURELY know about gym etiquette where you always try to let people work in. He also must be aware that there will be crowded times where he will need to ask someone to let his client work in. Eventually, it will come back to him. Obviously the management cares only about $$.

As for the woman in step class, I would just assume she's clueless. If she doesn't respond to a polite suggestion, IMO, it's easier to just move your stuff, than to argue with her. Next time consider putting some stuff like a water bottle and a towel around you until class begins. Some people feel that a particular space in class is theirs. That's fine, as long as they get there early!

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-03, 09:18 AM  
SassyGirl
VF Supporter

Hi:

I also have noticed that kind of rudeness at the gym and it's one of the reasons I started working out with videos. The gyms I have belonged to usually have minimum wage staff who really don't care about their jobs (and they are always gum-cracking as well). You are lucky if they barely LOOK at you when you come in, let alone say hello. And I have also experienced the "equipment hogs" who think that everyone should wait while they take their 2 minute break in between sets. I don't miss the gym AT ALL!!!!

The only rudeness I suffer now when working out to videos is from my 4 "boys" (cats) who like to sit on my mat when I am exercising or who climb on my rebounder or my step. But their rudeness is just so cute it actually makes me smile!

SassyGirl
SassyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-03, 09:22 AM  
MelissaPC

That trainer is a jerk. The trainers at my old gym were always very considerate of the other people in the weight room. I miss my old gym, they were all very professional - and them members in general were great. I moved, I had to give up my membership.
BUT, I used to see that kind of stuff in classes all the time. I just didn't get it. There was a woman who had to be in the exact same spot every class, no matter how crowded. And if you were within a few feet, she would look at you as if you invaded her private spot. And if someone new came into the class and took her spot before she got there - she would literally get as close as she could to the person until she was almost physically moving that person out of her space. I kept expecting her to actually push someone.
I just didn't get it.
There was another woman that would literally stand right next to the treadmill and wait til you were finished. I mean inches away. That drove me nuts! :rolleyes: This gym had about 30 treadmills, she never had to wait that long.
Oh, and the people that wouldn't wipe down the machines after using them, YUCK!
MelissaPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-03, 09:33 AM  
ScooterChick
Registered

Gyms are like everywhere else

Sometimes PTs think b/c they're a trainer, they have a little more priority on machines. But they should always work in, and, more importantly, always project a positive image for the club to everyone else, not just their client.

I guess it depends on the club, but I think a lot of people who work at a gym work there as opposed to other not-very-well-paying jobs b/c they like the environment of a gym, either for their own personal workouts and/or b/c they like to help people. (Uh, I don't think it's b/c they want a good outlet for their gum cracking.)

As far as the step lady--sometimes people just like "their spot" and freak out if they can't have their spot. I had a woman open the shower door on me b/c that was her favorite shower, and she wanted to know when I would be done! Boy, was I mad!

I had a guy try to bully me off the bench press station b/c he wanted it "reserved" while he alternated between that and *another* machine. Not only that, but he was bench pressing the same weight I do! Man, there were so many nasty things I almost said.

Anyway, those are a few bad experiences in a whole lot of good experiences. I know this thread hasn't gone this way, but I always get defensive when people start to bash gyms as filled with a bunch of skinny bimbos & big meatheads yelling and sneering at everyone. There are soo many types at the gym, just like in life.

Overall, I don't think folks at the gym are any more rude, or less rude, or whatever, than people in any public place. When you're with a lot of people, not everyone is going to get along. Some people are going to try to get away with a little more than they should (using the treadmill for more than 30 min. when others are waiting, for example). Others will be helpful and nice, like the girls I saw run to the aid of someone who passed out on the elliptical. (Yikes!)
ScooterChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-03, 09:35 AM  
ScooterChick
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by MelissaPC
Oh, and the people that wouldn't wipe down the machines after using them, YUCK!
My trainer and I joke that when he owns a gym he'll have hidden cameras, and create a "I don't rack my weights" hall of shame with pictures of all the folks who can lift big weights, but are too lazy to rack them. More importantly, he's going to have an "A** sweat hall of shame" for all the people who don't wipe down their machine. That would end that practice real fast, huh?!
ScooterChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-03, 09:43 AM  
Pilar
VF Supporter

Re: Gyms are like everywhere else

Quote:
Originally posted by ScooterChick
As far as the step lady--sometimes people just like "their spot" and freak out if they can't have their spot. I had a woman open the shower door on me b/c that was her favorite shower, and she wanted to know when I would be done! Boy, was I mad!
OMG! What could she have possibly been thinking?!?!?!

One of my biggest pet peeves is when otherwise well-groomed, well-educated people chew gum in public. I was brought up to think that this was classless, yet I sat behind a lovely woman in church once snapping her gum throughout. Then again, I sat across from a pediatrician in church who pulled out a nail clipper and clipped his fingernails during the sermon. Maybe it was just my church. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I often get aggravated by the chuckleheads I meet. What planet are some of these people from? Thanks for letting me join in your vent session, Stac!

Pilar
Old 01-31-03, 09:44 AM  
MelissaPC

Re: Gyms are like everywhere else

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ScooterChick
[B]

WOW! Maybe I shouldn't have been that upset with "the spot" lady!

I'd like to say too, that my experience overall in gyms has been very positive. Like I said, my last gym was a great place. The staff was very professional and helpful; and the members were respectful, friendly, etc. Maybe that's why those "rude" people stick out like they do!
MelissaPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-03, 09:50 AM  
Lisa TV
VF Supporter

Re: Why are people so rude?

Quote:
Originally posted by Stac
I went to the gym yesterday to do a class and to lift some weights. So, I started with lifting. I noticed a personal trainer working out his client on a nearby machine. They did two sets of tricep and bicep exercises and moved on. I figured they were done, so I walked over to the machine and the idiot trainer steps in front of the machine and says "We need to finish up." I said to this person, "You're client is working on another machine, can't I just do two sets of tricep dips." And the trainer is like, "We are using this machine."
I had the same experience, except the trainer & client were bogarting one of the 2 power racks the gym had. It was the main reason I didn't renew my membership at the end of that year. Well that and people who sat on machines and watched the tv's up front, even when they knew other people were waiting for the machine.

Lisa
Lisa TV is offline   Reply With Quote