Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-17, 11:04 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

A Pokemon get together in DC would be awesome! Funny, everyone on this thread, I've met in real life. I can totally picture all of you chasing virtual critters.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 12:05 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Cleda, I didn't know you were fluent in another language!

I didn't understand a word you just said, as a non-player.... but just the other day I was driving out of my neighborhood and there were about a dozen well-dressed kids at the neighborhood entrance, in a loose group, all looking at their phones... I bet they were Pokémon-going!!

I'm all for anything that gets people out and moving and grouping up! HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE OUT THERE!
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 12:13 PM  
sherry7899

Susan-so glad to see you! I could have written your post

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 01:16 PM  
alisoncooks

This thread is amazing because I didn't realize Pokemon Go was so INVOLVED! My kiddos got the app in July, after watching the cartoon. They don't know any of the above stuff, lol. We don't even walk it, haha; they just hold my phone when we drive slowly around downtown and get Pokeballs and catch Pokemon.

(We live in a rural suburb; limited walkability.)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 05:09 PM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
This thread is amazing because I didn't realize Pokemon Go was so INVOLVED! My kiddos got the app in July, after watching the cartoon. They don't know any of the above stuff, lol. We don't even walk it, haha; they just hold my phone when we drive slowly around downtown and get Pokeballs and catch Pokemon.
Yes, there are many layers to Pokemon Go! My 79 year old dad plays it but he doesn't do anything at the gyms (other than get items). I play with my young niece and nephew and they just want to catch pokemon and don't care about anything else.

Personally, I love the new gym system, like Sue B, because I can actually get my pokemon in there without too much effort and I get free coins.

The raid system is a whole other level and it scares me. Working with and meeting people I don't know when I'm playing a game on my phone is out of my comfort zone. I'm not as friendly as Cleda!! Also, I like Pokemon Go as a walking game and it seems like there might be less walking since you would have to stick around a gym to participate. And even though Cleda has explained it to me twice now, I'm still confused.
Old 08-19-17, 05:43 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleda View Post
Maybe DC should be on my list of cities to visit !

Cleda
Absolutely. I open up Pokemon Go in my office and there are gyms and Pokestops all the way to the horizon.

I had Pokemon Go open in the grocery store once and a girl was giving out samples near the entrance. She glimpsed my screen and was so excited that I played. I don't think any of the old people in her life play that game (or any others).

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 06:28 PM  
sherry7899

I ran across this on you tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN6K0-bvFlo

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-17, 07:53 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

too funny

Sherry! You always find the fun-nest things Check out the Pokemon decor. I didn't watch all of it, but that's cute.

Laura: It's amazing the amount of kids that light up when they see my screen or we get talking about Pokemon Go! I ran into a gal at one of the parks who not only plays Pokemon Go, but goes to WW as well, so we had a LOT of common ground. She said she wished HER Mom played!

I am still overwhelmed by who fights with what. Sometimes I do not have the energy to look it up so I ask ... "What is best to fight {fill in the blank} ___________ Articuno, Moltres, Zapdos, Ttar, etc, etc, etc, ...." They tell me "Fighting, rock, water, fire" whatever we have to use.

Dh and I didn't realize that we have to use the "trainer" to find out if our Pokemon we caught was good or not, so we've been weeding through the Pokedex and getting rid of anything that is decent or below. . . Only keeping the Strong and Amazing (which is the language for my team - Valor - I haven't a clue what the others "key" words are)!!! And with Gen 3 probably coming out - I don't want to throw away what seems like useless Pokemon. Can we say Murkrow? Who I personally CANNOT stand - hard to catch, useless, but I do understand that in Gen 3 or maybe it's 4 he will evolve and become useful, so therefore, I continue to catch him - gather candies and save the good ones. (there you go Susan - more of that foreign language - I guess we'll call it "Poke-speak" tee hee.)

So we spend lots of time watching You Tube videos by "The Trainer" and others that give us hints and how to do things and to learn, learn, learn. Yes. It's super involved (if you choose it to be).

Lisa; You are right - we don't walk as much when we are raiding because we all stand around and chat and battle and wait for others to arrive. And then we caravan to the next place. i.e yesterday, nothing really appeared on the gymhntr map. As we got in the truck, there was a Articuno at a local to us train station. We went, met 16 other people and from there we went and battled a Moltres. Sadly, it was not my Pokemon Day and I got nothing. But dh did get Articuno (which he had accidentally deleted and needed). BUT ... after we battle - we head to our local park (we switch between 2 of them) and we walk and recharge to get potions, hatch our eggs, etc, etc. A friend just got a shiny Pikachu (which I REALLY want) and the friend who told me believes it may have come from hatching an egg. If that's the case, I'll keep walking and hope my 10k egg is a Pikachu. Stay tuned for that one. I also got three Heracrosses when I was visiting my mom in FL and didn't realize we don't have it around here. I did NOT get a corsala though. Maybe this trip? And since I'm naturally SHY (not .....) I don't have a problem with the raids. I LOVE seeing the interaction of people and it's quite a fun thing to me. . . . . AND ... You have to do the raids to really understand them.

I have seen mothers taking children around (mothers not playing). I've seen kids catching for their parents after a raid cuz the parents aren't that good at catching. I've seen young adults, old people, people walking dogs, people with Ipads, notebooks and phones. I've seen one man who drives a van full of kids around from raid to raid cuz no one raids in his town. I've seen him come out with their devices to recharge their potients and do a raid or two. That's a hoot ..... On new year's eve day - we came across 2 kids (probably about 10 ???) who were very impressed with my pokedex. (they took my phone and were going through it). The little boy said, "I can't play on my phone - see??" and showed me this totally shattered screen. He said to me, "All I can do is video chat with my mom ... watch" and proceeds to call his mom and say, "Mom - look - I'm showing this lady what my phone can do..." It was adorable. . . . Then when his friend found something good, he would catch it, sign out and let his friend sign into HIS device and capture the pokemon. Quite the team effort. We also ran into them later that day on the main street of town (which he gave us directions on how to get there. I didn't have the heart to tell him we grew up there and went to high school in that town.) It really has renewed my faith in humanhood. . . . . Really. And I suppose that part of me likes it because it takes me back to a "simpler" time and life. Where kids were kids and people got along with each other and have to work together. It really has renewed my faith in humankind.

But, again, that's not to say I'm not careful, cuz I am. I know there's a lot of riff raff out there and we need to be careful. Then again - I've gone on roadtrips to meet these crazy people who exercise at home and post on a forum on the internet.

It definitely is tougher in rural areas and I'm guessing people would probably just not play. I am fortunate to at least be able to drive to several parks. . . .

Anyway ... back to your regularly scheduled Pokemon thread. I (obviously) enjoy the game !!!! And I enjoy being able to interact with the younger generation(s).

Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-17, 10:07 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Cleda, please chat away in Poke-speak to your heart's content! I read it all, but I don't have much to say since I'm way down on the totem pole - level 20-something, I can't even recall exactly. I'm one of those, like Lisa's awesome dad, who mainly walks and collects. I would love it if they came up with a trading system or some way to interact online at a distance. But I also love that this game gets people outdoors, exploring their home town and meeting other people face to face.

I mentioned last year on the other thread, my daughter and I took tons of walks together to collect Pokemon. To me, that was SO valuable. I also saw an article about a seaside cliff in Japan where many people have gone in past years to commit suicide. Since PG came out, the area has been swarmed with trainers, and suicides were way down.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-17, 10:40 AM  
bubbles76

I wish I had the time for Pokemon Go! Honestly, I don't even know much about Pokemon, outside of the yellow Pikachu. But some of my friends are really into it I like hearing about it.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
active gaming, apps, pokemon, pokemon go, walking apps