Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-30-02, 04:07 PM  
SassyGirl
VF Supporter

Biggest Video Disappointment in 2002???

I thought this might be an interesting "survey" -

The question is:

What video purchase in 2002 were you most disappointed in? Name the video and 1-2 sentences about why you were disappointed.

Let's see....for me...

"Women with Balls" by Charlene Prickett. I couldn't WAIT to get this video because I was really looking for a tough ball workout, but the endless chatter all through the video made it unbearable for me. Too much talk, not enough exercise.
SassyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-02, 04:25 PM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Leslie Sansone, Yoga Walk

I went through a huge Leslie kick this past year, and had been very excited to get this tape in a trade. Well...it was the first irredeemably bad review I ever wrote for VF. Leslie is just not a born yoga teacher, and the stretches were ineffective, dull and came off feeling like a poorly executed gimmick.

Joanna
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-02, 04:52 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Gin Miller's Simply Strong

I found it boring. I don't like tapes that do different levels, one after the other. That may be interesting for beginners, but when all you want to do are the advanced moves, it's a waste of time.

Cynthia
monterey vidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-02, 04:57 PM  
Tami S.
VF Supporter

All the Right Moves

I just got this, did about 90% of it, and turned it off feeling frustrated. It just seemed like a lot of Yoga with a few light strength moves in it. I really expected it to be more interesting. It was neither relaxing nor challenging because it moved from one type exercise to another.

Is something wrong with me? Why don't I like this workout?
Tami S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-02, 05:04 PM  
horsemom2

Fit to the Hits

The music on the Motown VHS was too soft and the Rock Hard Assets didn't inspire me at all. I had expected better from Tami Lee Webb and had hoped she would pick up where Richard Simmons left off, not fall short of even his oldest Sweatin to the Oldies videos. This set was pretty pricey for two 30 minute workouts.

Barb S
who is enjoying the Richard Simmons Blast-Off set so much more
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-02, 05:10 PM  
Trish
VF Supporter

It's a crowded field, Sassy Girl! Is it just me. . .

or are there a TON of substandard, unmotivating workouts out there for the uninformed? It makes me feel sad for the people who individually take the initiative to start exercising more, but get dissuaded after buying a crappy tape

That is the fantastic thing about VF (and collage video, and the ya-ya's)

Because of VF, I don't waste my money as much as I used to. . .
It's wonderful to get referred to a great workout here, buy it, try it, and love it!
And if it's not right for me, it goes off to the ya ya swap!

Trish
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-02, 05:21 PM  
Kimba

Re: Is it just me. . .

It's not just you! I went on a video buying binge in 2001-2002 and the only tapes I use regularly are Cathe and the Firm, with Victoria Johnson on occasion. I rarely use my other tapes -- and I have at least 100!! What's really frustrating is the lack of great high-intermediate/low-advanced videos on the market.

I like Kathy Smith, but every tape of her's that I purchased this year was a waste of money. Thank goodness I didn't pay full price for them. I use them on sore days or as an add-on to other workouts.

We won't even discuss Denise Austin! And I like her, too! Why are the workouts on her show better than the workouts on her tapes????

Karen Voight has great workouts, but they are so dry and unmotivating that I can barely get through them. I have really tried to get into her, but I just can't.

Complaints aside, I can't bear to part with them! Go Figure.

My name is Kimba -- and I'm a hopeless vidiot!

Quote:
Originally posted by Trish
or are there a TON of substandard, unmotivating workouts out there for the uninformed?

That is the fantastic thing about VF (and collage video, and the ya-ya's)

Because of VF, I don't waste my money as much as I used to. . .
And if it's not right for me, it goes off to the ya ya swap!

Trish
Kimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-02, 07:09 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Weights First. Need I say more?
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-02, 07:20 PM  
Willow
VF Supporter

Thumbs down

Weights First, without question.

I was so stunned by the terrible production quality and hideous set. The picture was terrible and the moves goofy. I got angry just watching it.

I traded my beloved Tough Tape for WF so was extra-po'd. I immediately sold WF on the YaYa's swap and rebought TT. I felt like a schmuck listing a tape for sale the very day I'd gotten it in a trade, but I couldn't wait to get the darned vid out of my apartment and get TT back.

Willow
Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-02, 08:00 PM  
Kimba

No Tough Tape???

Oh no!!! I'm glad you got another TT immediately.

Quote:
Originally posted by Willow
Weights First, without question.

I was so stunned by the terrible production quality and hideous set. The picture was terrible and the moves goofy. I got angry just watching it.

I traded my beloved Tough Tape for WF so was extra-po'd. I immediately sold WF on the YaYa's swap and rebought TT. I felt like a schmuck listing a tape for sale the very day I'd gotten it in a trade, but I couldn't wait to get the darned vid out of my apartment and get TT back.

Willow
Kimba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best of, worst of