Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-20, 07:08 PM  
Leonana

I've always wanted to live in Canada. Vancouver would be nice, although we'd never be able to afford it. Quite a change from the desert though! My daughter has mentioned she would love to move there. However, I guess it will be a long while before they let any of us even visit.

My dream place to live would be New Zealand. Although, it would be hard to be that far from extended family. Of course, it's not likely to happen anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
cataddict - I'm very sorry for what is happening w/ your DH's work place.

I have looked into Irish citizenship as a result of all this - but i think, if I'm reading correctly, my grandparents had to have been born in Ireland....and they weren't.

But, yes, the U.S. now.......not great. As with most things, it is the few ruining it for all.

Donna
That's interesting. I have Irish ancestry. So, there is no way to become an Irish citizen unless you had immediate family born there?
Old 07-26-20, 08:29 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
cataddict - I'm very sorry for what is happening w/ your DH's work place.

I have looked into Irish citizenship as a result of all this - but i think, if I'm reading correctly, my grandparents had to have been born in Ireland....and they weren't.

But, yes, the U.S. now.......not great. As with most things, it is the few ruining it for all.

Donna
My friend's mother born in Ireland so she got a passport for herself. A few years ago she got them for her kids.
The only place I get automatic citizenship is Israel and I have no interest in living there. Great and fascinating place to visit but for me not someplace I want to live.
Old 07-26-20, 08:59 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I was handling this pandemic thing fairly well. I can work from home as can my husband. My daughter's semester got cut short but she has a home to study remotely from and my son and his wife managed to stay employed as well. We have been very careful and have stayed healthy. I have no place complaining because there are so many people who have been devastated by this tragedy. Plus I am kind of anti-social to begin with so the isolation didn't bother me much. I do however miss seeing my son and DIL.

Now I am just so fed up with the way people are acting. Like many others have said if there was a national strategy and people listened to experts we could have been back to almost normal by now albeit with some modifications. I was reading an item in the Washington Post " 'We have given up on defeating the pandemic'-readers grapple with the country's reopening" One guy from Florida stated that he made sacrifices to flatten the curve and now his return to work is being delayed because of the resurgence. He feels like his efforts were not honored by selfish people who squandered hard earned gains. I feel the same way. The people who follow the rules get screwed by people who can't pass the marshmallow test.

I was exercising alot from home which really helped keep my mood stable but I had foot surgery on July 15 so obviously haven't been able to continue that routine.This is one reason why I am now finding myself more anxious than usual. Less exercise means more time reading the news. Bad combo.

We are going away in August with DD, DS and DIL-renting a place in a state not affected much by the plague and there are plenty of outdoor activities. I won't be able to hike or anything because of my foot but it will be nice getting away from here and to see son and DIL again, play board games etc.
Old 07-26-20, 09:05 PM  
kiwichick

The messaging around our very tough 6 week lockdown was very much about community - you weren’t following these rules for your own safety - you were doing this for everyone else. We are very much a team of 5 million. That messaging is still going strong - it is 87 days since we last had a case within our borders.

Life is normal with no restrictions. Our economy is starting to recover, although we have had approximately 50k kiwis return home from living overseas during the past few weeks. Still, they will help the economy further by buying or renting properties and starting businesses.

We are still incredibly vigilant at the border - only citizens are allowed in. Our PM’s mantra through all of this has been to ‘be kind’, I think it’s pretty cool that as an entire nation we have stepped up to the plate to do just that.

It can be done.
Old 07-26-20, 11:24 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

kiwichick - Your government has done an awesome job! It’s certainly advantageous to live on an island, easier to control who comes in. We’ve done an okay job, we definitely could have done better in some respects. Our citizens have been united & have followed the rules & restrictions for the most part.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
Old 07-27-20, 12:47 AM  
kiwichick

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
kiwichick - Your government has done an awesome job! It’s certainly advantageous to live on an island, easier to control who comes in. We’ve done an okay job, we definitely could have done better in some respects. Our citizens have been united & have followed the rules & restrictions for the most part.
I think mentality rather than geography plays more of a part - look at the amazing results Vietnam have had with a huge, dense population. Also Thailand. I think following the science is key. Going hard and fast with the lockdown meant we had a short burst of ‘pain’. I don’t think we would have had the success we did if it had been a long drawn out approach.

Last edited by kiwichick; 07-27-20 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Grammar!
Old 07-27-20, 01:04 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Yes following the science and acting quickly is key for sure along with compliance by your citizens. Our large eastern provinces have suffered the most due to not reacting quickly enough. We are pretty good out west here, but it’s a slippery slope when things start opening up & people move around. I think we will quite possibly have a second wave, just hope it’s not too big. And I hope the border stays closed for the foreseeable future.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
Old 07-27-20, 11:18 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsim View Post
I actually would like to move to Edinburgh, Scotland when I retire ...
Many years ago, I had the most magical Christmas in my life in Edinburgh! It was snowing and I felt like I'd walked into a fabulous Victorian snow globe.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 07-27-20, 11:38 AM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
DH and I were talking about the whole pandemic thing. He said that one of the worst parts is that people will never feel the same about each other after all this is over. The main point being that too many of my fellow Americans don't give a rat's ass about me or anyone else.

I am actually embarrassed to be an American at this time. I regularly read the BBC news and we are not currently well-regarded by the rest of the world due to the poor compliance to mandates.
Ditto
Old 07-27-20, 11:41 AM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwichick View Post
The messaging around our very tough 6 week lockdown was very much about community - you weren’t following these rules for your own safety - you were doing this for everyone else. We are very much a team of 5 million. That messaging is still going strong - it is 87 days since we last had a case within our borders.

Life is normal with no restrictions. Our economy is starting to recover, although we have had approximately 50k kiwis return home from living overseas during the past few weeks. Still, they will help the economy further by buying or renting properties and starting businesses.

We are still incredibly vigilant at the border - only citizens are allowed in. Our PM’s mantra through all of this has been to ‘be kind’, I think it’s pretty cool that as an entire nation we have stepped up to the plate to do just that.

It can be done.
That is just awesome! We have too many selfish, "I'm not giving up my liberties", pandemic is a hoax people here in the US.
Closed Thread

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, face masks, masks, pandemic, what a drag it is