Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-03, 03:38 PM  
Julia R
VF Supporter

way to go suebella!

I am so impressed that you said nothing nasty to your co-worker despite extreme provocation. I admire your patience and your emotional maturity.
Old 02-06-03, 03:58 PM  
*pet*art*girl*
VF Supporter

No advice or words of wisdom here, just a sympathetic nod, and a shoulder to lean on. Been there, understand, empathise. I'm just sorry you have to see this person five days a week (or however often you work).
Kathy

“Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you must first set yourself on fire.”
- Reggie Leach

“A big shot is a little shot that kept shooting” - Unknown
"I caught myself cheating! Shame on me!" - Cathe
*pet*art*girl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-03, 04:21 PM  
Celia M

Boy am I lucky!

Reading through this thread makes me realize how lucky I am. I work in a 6 person office, and three of us either now or in the past have worked out with videos though I'm the only one you'd really call a "vidiot"! For example, our Admin Assistant has around five tapes she rotates, including Intense Moves. I've tried to get her interested in more variety, but she knows what she likes. Needless to say, lots of support around here.

I'm also lucky at home, because my family knows that exercise is a big priority for me and without their support (indulgence?) it just wouldn't work.
Old 02-06-03, 05:36 PM  
Tami S.
VF Supporter

suebella, this would be such a FRUSTRATING issue to have occur, espcially when you were trying to reach out and be helpful. Please know that it is your co-worker's problem, not yours. Apparently she's not willing to make the changes she wants/needs to make, and is instead, belittling you to make herself feel better.

You should be proud of the dignified way you are handling this situation. I commend you and encourage you to continue to be a good role model for your co-worker. Later in life, she may look back at this and realize how gracious you were and hopefully, she'll pass this lesson of kindess and patience on to someone else.
Tami S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-03, 08:16 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Re: My last thought on the subject... no really!

Quote:
Originally posted by suebella
My co-worker is one of those who likes to do things as part of a group - hence the walking group. She may have been catty with her “all alone in the basement” remark, but I think it just highlights a fundamental difference between the two of us. I have always found that I make more progress outside of a group setting – for example, I always did much better academically on my own than as part of study group. I’ve made far greater progress exercising on my own than I ever did as part of an aerobics class, or even in a gym.

I don’t know that one experience is really better than the other – it is personal preference. I know for me that exercising and socializing just don’t go together. Not if I want either one to be a truly beneficial experience.
I'm the same type of animal you are--I do much better working out on my own than in a group setting. I would rather compete with my own last "personal best" than worry about being able to lift more or less than someone else. I also get self-conscious in group settings and don't do my best (and some moves I'm awkward at I'll do anyway at home, but would feel like a dork doing in public!).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-03, 11:37 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Some general thoughts...

My DH works with many middle-aged, sedentary men. Some have had strokes, heart attacks, have diabetes, breathing problems - you name it. Just about all of them live on fast or junk food at work. Now DH is "naturally thin" but he works out (the truth be told he is a better VFer than I am!) and eats pretty healthily (they just stare in amazement at some of the soybean/tofu/tempeh creations I send in for his lunch).

His co-workers often ask what he does to keep in shape. He will admit to them that he is genetically lucky. He will give them an idea of what he does. They seem to listen, but can't seem to stick with anything. These guys who have MAJOR health problems just can't get it together to take an active role in saving their own lives.

I can't quite figure out what holds folks back. Especially when their lives are at risk. I do think that the media has made fitness look like an obsession. The new exercise guidelines are confusing and intimidating. It seems like the world wants people to work out full tilt for hours every day. It must be overwhelming to these guys who haven't worked out since high school or college. Then there is the fear of failure (which seem to be worse than the fear of death in some cases).

No one has ever ridiculed DH for his healthy habits. They wouldn't have the nerve. Still, we both have only pity for folks who have only excuses and no ambition. I'm sure some of them don't even remember what it feels like to feel well. It seems like slow suicide to me.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-03, 06:42 PM  
Lenore Levine
VF Supporter

Re: Some general thoughts...

Quote:
Originally posted by Alta
I do think that the media has made fitness look like an obsession. The new exercise guidelines are confusing and intimidating. It seems like the world wants people to work out full tilt for hours every day. It must be overwhelming to these guys who haven't worked out since high school or college. Then there is the fear of failure (which seem to be worse than the fear of death in some cases).
Alta, I think you have a point there. There are a lot of people who have given up on fitness because they think it's too hard. They don't know that very moderate lifestyle changes can make a lot of difference if you keep them up year-in, year-out.

That reminds me...we always see people like Arnold Schwarzenegger in fitness commercials. You know who I'd like to see instead? Don Rickles. I'd like to hear him talk about how he does a half hour of walking each day, and he's started a "positive" eating plan of eating more fresh fruits and vegetables. That's all. He's kept this up for a couple of years.

And you know what? He feels a lot better. And his blood pressure is down. But he still looks like Don Rickles (and he's MAD about it ).
Lenore Levine is offline   Reply With Quote