Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-03, 07:40 PM  
LCC
VF Supporter

Re: Richard Simmons

Quote:
Originally posted by dansamy
Bear in mind, I'm a total fitness video newbie who didn't know any better. Bought 'Tone Up On Broadway', 'Broadway Sweat', and 'Broadway Blast-Off'. Only did the toning video 3 times, the blast-off one twice. Never even watched the sweat video. Sold the whole kaboodle on eBay to help pay of the debt I owe my husband for giving me $250 to buy the Firm Body Sculpting System, the '6-pack', and the original Leslie Sansone WATP set. I've been doing the Firm for 2.5 weeks now, and I'm very happy.

Amelia
Hi Amelia!

Doesn't it feel really great when you find out that there are really good, effective workouts out there?

Enjoy!

Laura (LCC)
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-03, 08:40 PM  
dansamy

Thumbs up

Yep! So far, I'm very happy with the new Firm vids. I know 'old Firmies' have mixed feelings about them. For me, sedentary since my 1st pregnancy took me away from martial arts, the new Firms are kicking my butt! I know eventually I'll need some more stuff, but what I've got right now is more than adequate and will grow with me for a bit. I bought the Simmons' vids thinking 'How hard can they be?' No cues, too dancey. Choreography isn't my strong point!

Amelia
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-03, 09:41 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

A little backpedaling...

Okay, I admit, I have a new appreciation for the Totallies now that I have the new CIAs thanks to the serioushomefitness sale. On the all-step tape, Mark's warmup is great - I can see adding it to other videos - but the woman who follows him has me all confused. And that's too bad, because her choreography looks like a lot of fun if I could only catch on to it. (Maybe that's how klutzes feel about Christi!) But the way Christi breaks everything down, and weaves it all together so seamlessly, is unsurpassed. I stopped the CIA and put in TCS and felt SO much better.

So Christi is awesome even when she's... not at her awesomest But I am still looking forward to totally awesome choreo from her this year!
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-03, 10:25 AM  
Carol L

Sue is right...

Christi is a very gifted teacher & choreographer.

She is the instructor, above all others, that made me love step and complex choreography. I certainly did not mean to say the Totallies were not good workouts. As another poster said, they are still far above and beyond many other workouts put out last year. The problem is, she just outdid herself with CIA 9801 & the Heavenly duo. They are tough acts to follow......

BTW, I did like CIA 2204(Mark's section), even with the difficult step-overs. He cues well and it's a fun routine.

Carol L.
Carol L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-03, 11:02 AM  
Barbara F
VF Supporter

Christi . . .

Even though Step Heaven is definitely my favorite cardio video of all time -- and it remains so year after year -- I was never disappointed in Still Steppin or TCS; I think I like them as much as 9801 (maybe because of the music). (I mean, I couldn't do Step Heaven on a light day, but I could do TCS . . . and what else is there to do besides Christi??)

I don't know what it is about Christi, but she's my favorite instructor, whether doing complex or easier choreography. I used to think it was her complexity, but I guess maybe it's the "danciness" of it. I don't know. My only problem is that -- since her videos are my primary form of cardio -- I wish she'd make more
Old 02-01-03, 04:02 PM  
ksleeth
VF Supporter

Barbara F!

I could not agree more. I love Christi whether she is dishing out the complexity or just giving a good workout. Her music is just the best, hands down, which makes her workouts even better IMO. I also wish she would make more...

Kim
ksleeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-03, 04:11 PM  
Lenore Levine
VF Supporter

Barbara...

I have nothing more to say in this thread. I just wanted to say, Barbara, that you have really beautiful cats. I would love to see more pictures of them.
Lenore Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-03, 07:38 PM  
Barbara F
VF Supporter

Smile Thanks Lenore . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Lenore Levine
I just wanted to say, Barbara, that you have really beautiful cats. I would love to see more pictures of them.
I don't have many digital photos, though, mostly because I'm technologically ignorant . . . so, to get a nice picture (1) I must accidentally catch them in a good pose, and (2) DH must be around and willing take a picture, upload it, crop it, etc. at my request (he's a good guy, but #1 and #2 don't often happen at the same time).
Old 02-17-03, 03:04 AM  
lissalaurel76

Ok, I have a few that I thought were stinkers.

A couple of them wasn't really NEW to me in 2002, but I had bought it when I was like 17 (that's almost 10 years ago now, so I hadn't tried it in a long time)
Another was bought just a few years ago, but I just really started trying this year.

The one I bought when I was 17 I had let my sister borrow after my first time doing the video. I remembered I liked it ok, so when I found it at my mom's house this last year I thought I'd take it home and use it as a fun off day video workout.

MAN DID IT EVER STINK ! It was a Richard Simmons video. Sweatin to the Oldies 2. I couldn't stop laughing at it. lol.

Ironically, the only Richard Simmons video I like has been discontinued. It was called Step & Sweat. My husband bought it for me at Farm & Fleet in a neighboring town for only $20 a few years back. It came with a step. I really love that video and still use it.

My 2nd disappointment was The New Method Core Cardio. I have done alot of choreographed dance, have even danced with a group professionally. I thought this was going to be a workout. It was NOT. Thankfully I only paid $6.99 for it at Target. The first part of it is kinda fun, but not really a workout. I feel sorry for anybody who has not had dance experience who winds up buying this video. People with no dance experience will not have a good time with this tape. The 2nd half of the video has this woman who is just absolutely annoying, and the workout isn't even all that good, or even fun !

Reebok Step the Video was a little disappointing. I really like Gin Miller, and had heard this was a good video. I know its older, but people talk about it like its really great, so I did buy it finally. Its not that the workout isn't challenging. Its ok. I just didn't like the direction in this. It was so impersonal. Just not my cup of tea.

Oh, and the original Tae Bo video set. I won this on one of those UpRoar type game sites. So, I didn't pay anything for it, thank goodness. For one, Tae Bo just isn't for me. Secondly, the girl standing next to Billy Blanks is wearing this hot pink number. I'm sorry, but if you are going to be working out on a video for all to see, please wear a dark color like dark navy blue or something black. She was sweating in her crotch area and the hot pink made it look like she had peed her pants. I just couldn't watch it and take it seriously. I traded it on another message board.

I also had this Buns of Steel Aerobic Video. I had bought it a few years ago, but hadn't used it in a long time. I think I only ever used it once, and didn't remember why I didn't use it again. I quickly remembered why I didn't like it. The workout just wasn't very much fun, and they kept panning to their faces, and off the bodies. What better way to lose your footing than to have the camera focus on the faces only ? And they would say something like, "move on to...." such and such a move, but they weren't showing their bodies. Alot of good that does.

So, those are my disappointments for this year.
lissalaurel76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best of, worst of