Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-01-20, 01:23 PM  
cyana

2020 Beauty Thread

Share your oldies but goodies, new finds or ask questions about beauty products here. And if you're a kitchen chemist and whip up your own beauty products such as masks, serums or creams, feel free to share your recipes.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-20, 02:12 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I hadn't been to Hot&Flashy's YouTube site in a while and visited yesterday. I had trouble enjoying her latest video as she talks all the procedures she's had over the years.

I have no gripe with medical beauty procedures in themselves, but not everyone is willing or able to do that.

Any plain old skin care/cosmetic advice channels for, ahem, older (50+) women that anyone might recommended?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-20, 02:42 PM  
cyana

I'm fairly minimalist when it comes to beauty products, but my mature skin seems pretty happy that that approach. I work from home and don't wear make-up unless I'm going out - and don't always wear make-up if I'm going out just to run errands and such.

Oldies that work for me:
Healthy Traditions Unscented Moisturizing Cream - this is the work horse that I use on my face every morning and night and have for years. Short ingredient list (purified water, organic virgin coconut oil, emulsifying wax (plant based, no soy), palm stearic, grapefruit seed extract, organic beeswax, and organic virgin palm oil). I sometimes buy the scented creams and lotions (also from Healthy Traditions) to suit my mood (lavender, arnica, peppermint, etc). healthytraditions.com
Juice Beauty SPF 30 Tinted Mineral Moisturizer in Sand. I don't need a lot of coverage and rarely have to dress up, so this is my primary foundation on the days that I wear make-up. juicebeauty.com
Estee Lauder Double Wear Light Foundation. When I need to up my game a bit, I use this and sometimes "cut" it with a bit of the Juice moisturizer.
Estee Lauder Pure Color Envy Lip Gloss - I think they redid this line in the last part of 2019 and my colors - Reckless Bloom (probably my all-time favorite lip gloss) and Shameless Glow are no longer listed for this product.
Sierra Bees Organic Lip Balm - clean product and I love how this glides on and makes my lips feel good. iherb.com
Schmidt's Deodorant - Lavender Tips - Sensitive (would definitely recommend the sensitive varieties to anyone who has problems with baking soda deodorants), Ylang-Ylang Calendula, Lime Bergamot (this will also be under my misses). Decent odor control but it is not an antiperspirant.
Jessicurl Gelebration - lightweight, can get it in a fragrance-free option and not a lengthy ingredient list. I definitely have to stack this with another product in the less humid months.
Jessicurl Spiralicious - I usually put this on after Gelebration (also comes in a fragrance-free option). I have what I'd describe as 2C-3A hair, if that helps.
ToothSoap - not cheap (OK, pricey, but cheaper than dental work), but they have BOGOs and I stock up then. Nothing makes my teeth feel cleaner than these products (liquids, whips, gels, shreds). To help put this into perspective - I have deep crevices in my teeth so I have to be really mindful about brushing thoroughly. When I wake up in the morning, my teeth still feel clean and I never experienced anything like this with even expensive tooth pastes. And their Tooth Shreds are exactly what they sound like - shreds of dental soap. I would never travel without my Tooth Shreds as they're weightless and I try to avoid checking luggage whenever possible. toothsoap.com

New in 2019 and working so far:
L'Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes Mascara - two thumbs up and I will definitely re-purchase. I have smallish, deeper set eyes and do not have long lashes and this product gives me really nice lashes.
Estee Lauder Perfectionist Make-up - I received a couple of samples of this and would definitely consider giving it a try when I need to buy foundation although it's a bit pricey ($52). Estee Lauder tends to have colors that work well with my fair complexion, so I don't tend to stray far because I've had too many misses from other cosmetic lines.
J.R. Liggett's Old-Fashioned Bar Shampoo - this definitely took some getting used to as you aren't going to have tons of lather. If you use a bunch of hair products, this may not suit you or you might also need to use an apple cider vinegar rinse. At least it isn't expensive if it ends up being a fail.
Primal Pit Paste Deodorant - Decent option. I can't tell that it's markedly better or worse than Schmidt's. No skin irritation to date.
Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel Full Strength Exfoliating Mask - confession - the rep was at the Whole Wallet one day and I allowed myself to be talked into something that I wasn't sure I really needed. However, I use this every now and then and it leaves my face feeling as smooth as a baby's behind with no irritation. It's good for getting those dead skin cells off without using harsh chemical products or manual exfoliators. I used to use Clinique's salicylic acid mask and didn't give anything up by switching to a cleaner product.

Misses:
Schmidt's Lime-Bergamot deodorant from Costco. I was delighted to find this in 3 packs at Costco, but the texture was really grainy and unpleasant. Should've returned it, but DH used it as he isn't as persnickety as I am (and his pits aren't as sensitive). I've been using this exact product for at least 3 years and this was the first and only time I had the issue with the graininess.
Covergirl Lash Blast Volume mascara - the brush just doesn't cut it with my lash/eye type. Total waste of money. YMMV.

I discovered I can use water in a spray bottle to rejuvenate my curls versus buying something specifically designed for second day (and beyond) hair. My hairdresser even said just use water and don't waste your money.

I'm continuing to try to swap out traditional products for cleaner options whenever possible, so I'd love to hear what others have discovered and liked. I also want to play around with making my own creams and such using products such as coconut oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, etc.

Old 01-01-20, 03:06 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Thank you for starting the thread.
Since you mentioned "recipes" I will share the only beauty product I make myself. Body Scrubs are so ridiculously expensive so I make my own for pennies:

3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. aloe vera gel
1 tsp. your favorite lotion
1 tsp. water if needed

Stir sugar and aloe in a clean bowl until creamy with a few chunks.
Mix in lotion to make the mixture smoother
Add water only if the mixture is in a clump. If mixture is creamy but not liquidy, it is ready to use.

Supposedly this is one application but I need 1/4 for my short body. Shelf life is 1-2 weeks but I keep it much longer and it never goes bad.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-20, 03:10 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Cyana,
The tooth soap-does this come in minimal recyclable packaging? I am looking into alternatives to plastic and other single use, non degradable packages.
I am thinking of bar shampoo as well so I might try the one you mentioned. I sometimes but use products like creams and gels but mostly in the summer time to cut down on frizzies or to encourage curls. I use Redken Frizz Dismiss and Deva Curl Wave Maker.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-20, 03:25 PM  
cyana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I hadn't been to Hot&Flashy's YouTube site in a while and visited yesterday. I had trouble enjoying her latest video as she talks all the procedures she's had over the years.

I have no gripe with medical beauty procedures in themselves, but not everyone is willing or able to do that.

Any plain old skin care/cosmetic advice channels for, ahem, older (50+) women that anyone might recommended?
I haven't had time to check Angie's channel very often this past year, but tend to focus on her product hits and misses or techniques (still working on the eyes, but my make-up drawer is severely lacking in comparison to hers! ).

I came across this YT channel in 2019 - fabulous50s - Schellea has a variety of videos and while I haven't watched many of them, she seems very common sense. I found her one day when I did a search for a short upper body focused video. She has fitness videos, how to dress, make-up tips, etc.

I thought this was a good out the door in 2 minutes make-up video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAuOKtQY_S8

I think there are more 50's and over focused YT channels but haven't had time to check them out. And I don't want to have to purchase 3,000 products to achieve a certain look.

Old 01-01-20, 03:31 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Thank you for starting the thread.
Since you mentioned "recipes" I will share the only beauty product I make myself. Body Scrubs are so ridiculously expensive so I make my own for pennies:

3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. aloe vera gel
1 tsp. your favorite lotion
1 tsp. water if needed

Stir sugar and aloe in a clean bowl until creamy with a few chunks.
Mix in lotion to make the mixture smoother
Add water only if the mixture is in a clump. If mixture is creamy but not liquidy, it is ready to use.

Supposedly this is one application but I need 1/4 for my short body. Shelf life is 1-2 weeks but I keep it much longer and it never goes bad.
Oh, I'm gonna try this! Thank you!
Old 01-01-20, 03:36 PM  
wendug

Does anyone have recommendations for a hair dryer? My hair has been sooo dry lately and I couldn't figure out what was going on with it. It turns out it is my hair dryer. It is maybe 8 years old but still in working condition. However, it has been frying my hair lately (too hot?), but I never noticed it being too hot. Anyway, I have a small travel dryer that I've used the last couple of times I washed my hair and my hair was noticeably smoother and not as dry. I have thick hair so the travel dryer takes too long to use full time so I'm in need of a new regular sized hair dryer. When I look online they range from $15- $200 ! And the reviews are all over the map. Do I get ceramic or an ionic dryer? I got so frustrated looking I just gave up. Your help is much appreciated!
Old 01-01-20, 03:39 PM  
cyana

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Cyana,
The tooth soap-does this come in minimal recyclable packaging? I am looking into alternatives to plastic and other single use, non degradable packages.
I am thinking of bar shampoo as well so I might try the one you mentioned. I sometimes but use products like creams and gels but mostly in the summer time to cut down on frizzies or to encourage curls. I use Redken Frizz Dismiss and Deva Curl Wave Maker.
Scrubs are a great idea for home concoctions - thanks for that suggestion! I'm not big into fragrance (I'm OK with using essential oils and such), so being able to control the ingredients is huge. And this time of the year I could definitely use some exfoliation. You could also add a couple of drops of lavender and/or peppermint to the leftovers (meaning after you do the rest of your body) and have a really nice foot scrub.

The owner of Toothsoap is constantly rolling out various packaging options - especially on the shreds (reusable little Mason-type or flip-top glass jars, some in burlap bags, etc). If you think you're interested, get on her e-mail list so you receive BOGO notifications. Unfortunately one just ended yesterday (and I dutifully stocked up). The liquids come in a glass dropper bottle that you could re-purpose or recycle. I purchased a bar of tooth soap (not THE Toothsoap brand) from a local vendor who makes soaps and body products, but it had far too much essential oil for my taste. With a bar versus shreds, you have the option of swiping your wet toothbrush across the bar, but then my question becomes - how in the heck do you keep the bar clean? It's one thing to have your body soap sitting out....not so much for something I'm using inside of my mouth.

Old 01-01-20, 03:46 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post

I like Sharon Danley's youtube channel: twominutetips
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beauty, beauty thread, beauty thread 2020, beauty vlogs