Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-10, 07:35 PM  
suegy3

Did anyone receive a response from Lalo regarding this mess? I'm curious to find out his response.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 08:06 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
If Natural was able to request that Collage remove her plagiarized review, what's to stop Lalo from asking Collage to remove negative reviews? I wonder if Collage would accommodate such a request.

ETA: I do see some negatives on the original LaloFit DVD. I gotta mind to add my own negative review, but I can't really remember why I hated it so much. I just know I did and got rid of it in record time.
Well, copyright violation (as in this instance of plagiarism) is illegal. Natural owns that review and Collage can't print it without her permission.

There's nothing illegal about a negative review, unless of course it's plagiarized.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-10, 05:57 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWendy View Post
A number of those Amazon editorial "reviews" seem to be short quotes, which might be "fair use" under copyright but I'm still concerned that they are representing a single consumer's comment as the editorial opinion of this site, because there is no such thing as an editorial review at VF, and for potential Amazon customers, IMO our reviews shouldn't carry any more weight than your average Amazon customer review does.
Wendy, I just consulted with my husband, an attorney, and he definitely agrees that posting these quotes as "Editorial Reviews" on Amazon and attributing them to "videofitness.com" is misleading and wrong. By no means does it fall under the "fair use" laws; in fact, he suggested that it would be considered a "deceptive trade practice" (or, at the very least, "false advertising").

I hope that your friend who works for Amazon can help sort this out! I've generally found Amazon to be pretty responsive to consumer complaints, so hopefully, if you connect with the right person there, they can take care of it.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-10, 06:00 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos Nef View Post
I just found another copied review! I was looking at Power 90 Master Plyo Legs on Amazon, and the "Killer 'No Equipment Needed' Intense Workout" from "Shay" in Brooklyn, NY is nearly identical (although abbreviated) to the review here on VF by Dawn P. What made me notice it was the breakdown.

Amazon review: http://www.amazon.com/Power-90-Maste...owViewpoints=1

VF review: http://www.videofitness.com/reviews/horton-p90m-pl.php

The apparently copied review on Amazon is from 2008 (Dawn P's is from 2005), so this practice of copying VF reviews seems to have been going on for some time.
Did you report this user specifically to Amazon? I believe that if you linked to the copied reviews as well as the original VF postings, Amazon would like delete the copies.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 01-24-10, 06:09 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post
- reviews from paid sources: People do receive financial compensation for the specific purpose of writing positive reviews. This is more of an issue on sites like Yelp, however. (Yes, Amazon encourages the distribution of review copies, and most honest people are upfront about this; I know several reviewers who don't let that stop them saying what they truly feel about a product, though.)
Actually, the FTC passed some new guidelines this past fall in an attempt to at least TRY to address this one:
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/10/endortest.shtm

But I agree, there are issues. Speaking as someone who has spent A LOT of time with the review system on Amazon, I do think they do their best to minimize corruption. Users should not hesitate to use the "Report This" button under every review if they suspect something is amiss (although unfortunately, you don't get to include any comments explaining why you are reporting the review) or to contact Amazon customer service directly to report problems with reviews.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 12-24-10, 09:27 AM  
Stevie W
VF Supporter

Have you contacted Collage about copyright violation? using your content without your permission isn't right. I am a writer. You review-- you are a writer too. Make sure you put a copyright notice on it. You might put a smaller type-- mention of ask permission before reprinting.
Email the corporate level of Collage and Lalo or anyone else and tell them that you are spreading it across the web that they are illegally using your content.
It's one thing to put it on their own site.. but it's quite another to post it on another's site.

LA-Story.com (blog)

Facebook.com

Twitter.com/LAStory

Pinterest.com
Stevie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13, 06:24 PM  
LeanneM

Wow! That is just shocking! Like Toaster, I write a lot of reviews on Amazon, and I've seen my reviews appear on other websites, but they usually do include my Amazon reviewer name when they appear on the other websites. That is extremely upsetting, though, that they stole your reviews from this forum!
LeanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13, 07:33 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

You have a copyright to anything you put in writing, whether there is a copyright notice on it or not. The copyright notice just strengthens it. This post is now copyrighted. That's what the attorneys at my company always told us in the marketing department anyway.

Every time one of us copies and pastes something from a fitness article or even part of an email here - without permission - we are violating the author's copyright.

Years ago the Firm's PR firm pulled comments from one of my VF reviews and used it in ads and on their cross trainer videos. They had permission to use what I sent them, but that's not what I sent them.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13, 09:32 PM  
Stevie W
VF Supporter

Joni O is correct. They can use what they have PERMISSION to use. I have a line of content that I paste into every blog I write.. and other spots too.

This might be a bit too long-- but it gives you an idea-- because back a couple years ago (ok more like 4). I found a site using my content and hyperlinking back to me but not informing the reader that it was NOT their content-- but mine. I reamed them something fierce.

If you are going to feature content from LA-Story.com including podcasts or videos including the accompanying text, please respect copyright provisions. We require a notation of content origination (meaning credit tag), a linkback to the specific page & please email the link to stevie@la-story.com before the piece goes live.
LA-Story.com, LA-Story Recessionista, Celebrity Stylescope, Celebrity Style Slam Trademark/Copyright: KBP Inc./TNBT Inc 2007-13

this gives you an idea of what you can create. A single sentence stating you are retaining full copyright and permission must be given for content to be repurposed. I always ask unless it's a friend who has already given me permission many many times.

sorry to see this happen to you

LA-Story.com (blog)

Facebook.com

Twitter.com/LAStory

Pinterest.com
Stevie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13, 10:04 PM  
laurajhawk

Please note that there were 2 years between Stevie's post and Leanne's. I don't know whether this is still going on or not.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collagevideo.com, lalo fuentes, reviews