Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-20, 04:08 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Meditation Courses

The Great Courses is having a sale on their courses. I've always been intrigued by meditation and I'm tempted to purchase their 24-lecture course on the Practices and Benefits of Meditation. The sale runs through 1/30/2020 and the course is only $25 streaming or $35 for a DVD. Title of the course is Practicing Mindfulness: An Introduction to Meditation.

I've tried meditation in the past and I can't do it. I wonder if this course would be beneficial to me. Anyone has any experience with it?
Old 01-19-20, 06:44 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

"Meditation" can mean so many different things. What is your purpose? Do you want to just physically relax and experience calm? Trying to "empty" yourself? Or to be present to yourself? Or be present to God? They are each very different. I have no recommendations to you except to be very conscious of your goal here. Good luck!
Old 01-19-20, 06:50 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Probably calm my mind and relax. My mind is always in overdrive.
Old 01-19-20, 06:56 PM  
Pam

Usia—I found this course at a thrift store a couple weeks ago. I am about 3/4 the way through it. I am finding it very worthwhile. I have done meditation in the past, but never developed a regular practice. If you want to borrow the course, I should be through with in 10 days or so. Just reimburse me the postage or maybe we can do temporary trades. Send me pm, if you are interested. The booklet didn’t come my set, but a pdf of the booklet is available through internet.
Old 01-19-20, 07:08 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Yesterday I was watching a YouTube Q&A video of Dan John (a strength, weightlifting and KB coach) and while answering a question about a typical day for him he recommended a free app (One Moment Meditation) as something that helps him alot to be calm and get focused. It's just one minute. He uses it for deep breathing. There's a chime at the beginning and at the end and there's no guided meditation though you can have a voice giving you a "warm up" and a "cool down". Sweet. He says he sometimes repeats the minute. I've got it on my phone now. And for meditation, I like timers. I think they're good for accountability.
Old 01-20-20, 02:01 AM  
laurawd

For mindfulness meditations, I adore Jon Kabat-Zinn (he has an App!). Insight Timer is a very useful tool as well. Also, Sounds True has some wonderful courses and free meditations. Tara Brach has free meditations on her website. I love her philosophy, although I don't always jive with the way she practices.... With meditation - there are so many styles - it's just a matter of finding one that you want to practice.

Breathe is another good app!
laurawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-20, 06:31 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Hi Pam!

Thank you for the kind offer! I sent you a pm.

Thanks everyone for your input. Judith and Laura - I'll look into your suggestions.
Old 01-21-20, 09:12 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I also recommend the Insight Timer app. It’s free with hundreds of meditations but they have courses you can buy as well through the app that are reasonably priced.

ETA in addition to the guided meditations, the insight timer app also has a timer (obviously) that you can set for a given amt. of time with chimes/bells etc at start and finish and either silence or background sounds such as birds, water etc. You can also do a search for music meditations if you find you don’t like guided practices or silence.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-20, 09:41 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Thank you very much for your replies. I will look into everything mentioned here.

Tags
insight timer, meditation, meditation app, meditation course, mindfulness