Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-05, 03:48 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question Kathy Smith's WalkFit (and other walking audios)?

The only review I've read of Kathy's walking audiotapes says that the music isn't too great. Does anyone use these? Is she fun or annoying? (We know that Kathy can go to either extreme. )

I see that Collage has walking music. Does anyone have recommendations for walking tapes - with and without instructor voice-over? I know I could just play music, but I'd like audios where I can know the bpm.

This is for outdoor walking, not the treadmill or elliptical.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-05, 05:14 PM  
KerryF

If I had an mp3 player, I'd rather put together my own playlists, but I enjoyed the one WalkFit CD I have. It's the one that came free with Special K last winter. The music is nothing special. There's no vocals, and Kathy doesn't talk the whole time. She IS perky, but not annoying perky. After a while, though, I was wishing for an audio-only option.

I remember a couple people posting that they liked the music in the Gaiam walking CD better.

I thought someone posted a link to some site that gave the BPM of songs (or would calculate it?)--I wonder if that link could be located again. Seems that would be ideal for people with ipods.

Is Cardio Coach appropriate for outdoor walks? I keep hearing how wonderful it is . . . (not that the weather is appropriate for such activities just yet).
KerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-05, 06:25 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Alta, I was pleasantly surprised at how good Kathy is on both her Steady Strides (part of the Project:You package) walk cd and her Lean Walk System Walk Fit (what a name!) cd. She's upbeat, but not annoyingly perky. She constantly reminds you about your posture, keeping your jaw and shoulders relaxed, tips to help you walk faster and more safely. The music is pretty good on the first workout to the Walk Fit cd, I didn't care so much for the second one (they're on the first cd), but maybe I need to give it another whirl. I'd love to get some other programs with other instructors or check out the music from Collage...so I don't get bored. Now that it's cooling down here, I hope to be doing more walking

I also walk outdoors...no treadmill, but I like getting outside, asthma or no
Old 09-04-05, 07:50 PM  
DebnPhx
VF Supporter

I have the WalkFit CD's and used them a lot for outdoor walking before it got too warm here in the desert. There is one track with jazz on it that I liked a lot, and two of the CDs had intervals that made me feel like I got a pretty good workout.

One advantage to them, as another poster said, is that she frequently prompts you about your form, using your arms, etc.
DebnPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-05, 07:58 PM  
carole r.

What they said. If you like Kathy, you will probably like the Walkfit audios. I like the Shape audios. They got me through my marathon training!
Old 09-04-05, 08:13 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Oh, one thing I forgot, but it's important to me...Kathy has wonderful diction and I love listening to her talk. She'd make a dynamite radio announcer!
Old 09-04-05, 08:19 PM  
sherry7899

Alta,

If you have the store Ross near you, they have a Madeleine Lewis Walking kit that includes a walking cd, hand weights, and a video for only $8.99. A few people have raved about the walking cd that came with this set. I haven't tried it (yet).

Take care,
Sherry
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-05, 02:51 AM  
Rockstar

Kathy will be coming up with a new intermediate/advanced walking video. For next year's release.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kathy smith walkfit, kathy smith walking, special k, steady strides, walking cds