Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-01-19, 01:19 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
These things are disappointing, but not enough for me to suddenly dislike the products I've used for years. I just wait for sales and buy when I can get a discount. It's not as bad as when the entire makeup line was discontinued and I had to find substitutes for everything. Now THAT was expensive.
I never tried her make-up and didn't know she had discontinued selling it. That has to be disappointing if someone had favorite products!

I will still probably buy my faves on sale. It is so hard to find unscented facial products.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-19, 01:38 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Just when I thought my opinion of Paula's Choice couldn't get much lower... Now they are selling supplements. (Yeah, we can't talk about supplements, but finding a Mod here is like finding a diamond ring in the septic tank!)

I have a handful of her products that I still like. But, between the soaring prices, the burying of bad reviews on her site and now selling pills, it is hard to justify supporting the PC brand.

ETA: I did mange to find some bad reviews there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
These things are disappointing, but not enough for me to suddenly dislike the products I've used for years. I just wait for sales and buy when I can get a discount. It's not as bad as when the entire makeup line was discontinued and I had to find substitutes for everything. Now THAT was expensive.
I agree with both of you. I didn't notice she was selling supplements. I haven't been opening most of her gazillion emails lately. I almost placed a sunscreen order when she had a 20% off and free shipping offer recently but I missed it. Honestly I have stocked up on the items I must have (her Calm sunscreen, her moisture boost cleanser and moisturizer) There are other things I like (toner, antioxidant serum, retinol serum and skin brightener) but I also recently acquired them so I don't think I need to place another order anytime soon. I do miss the old PC though. Good no nonsense products at a good price. I can get Rx retinol at my derm doctor's office for $15 less than PCs retinol serum. But then I have to pay to go to see the doctor and I haven't needed to for awhile.

Yeah when she got rid of the foundation I was lost. I have since found a replacement for foundation(Clinique) eye shadow(NYX and Colourpop) and blush (colourpop, Flower Beauty) so I am back to a makeup happy place. In fact I am kind of obsessed with Colourpop and have way too many eyeshadows. At one point PC discontinued the moisture boost line and I was almost frantic. Thankfully so many people complained that she brought it back.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-19, 01:40 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
I never tried her make-up and didn't know she had discontinued selling it. That has to be disappointing if someone had favorite products!

I will still probably buy my faves on sale. It is so hard to find unscented facial products.
Yes I avoid scented products. I gave up on buying her shampoo and conditioner though to save money and found subs she recommended ages ago. The Neutrogena Conditioner she recommended was over scented but I put up with it because it was otherwise good. Then Aveeno discontinued my favorite shampoo which I used as a sub for PC. So now I am back to buying PC shampoo. I found unscented conditioner that I like (desert essence?) but I don't care for their shampoo.
Old 12-01-19, 01:58 PM  
Carol K

If I'm down to one bottle or tube of something, I put it in my shopping cart on the PC web site and wait for a discount that I can apply. I open all the e-mails. As soon as I get one for a discount I can use, I purchase. A friend of mine and I will sometimes combine orders to get free shipping. All of the products I use have been around for years and there hasn't been anything new that I've needed.
Old 12-01-19, 08:55 PM  
Leonana

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Yes I avoid scented products. I gave up on buying her shampoo and conditioner though to save money and found subs she recommended ages ago. The Neutrogena Conditioner she recommended was over scented but I put up with it because it was otherwise good. Then Aveeno discontinued my favorite shampoo which I used as a sub for PC. So now I am back to buying PC shampoo. I found unscented conditioner that I like (desert essence?) but I don't care for their shampoo.
I can relate. My biggest problem is fragrance free hair products. I'm really sensitive to fragrance, even in my shampoo and conditioner. Pure and Free also gets rid of the sulfates, and just doesn't work well. PC is the only one that gets rid of the fragrance, but keeps all the other ingredients that actually work. I just bought some during their Black Friday Sale.

Fortunately, I've found drugstore fragrance free skincare that works well for me. I like the Cetaphil Redness Relieving Night Moisturizer, Oil of Olay fragrance free Fresh Foaming Cleanser, Differin gel for my Vitamin A, and Eucerin fragrance free Moisturizer with Sunscreen. I also use The Ordinary's Niacinimide and Azaelic Acid exfoliant.

I listed to a podcast called the Beauty Brains and they did say that Paula's Choice uses fear marketing, just like the natural and organic skincare companies. But their fear marketing is fragrance, as there is no evidence that it will age you, and is fine as long as you aren't sensitive or allergic. That's when my disillusionment started. However, to be fair, I think Paula herself was more honest. Since she sold the company, it's becoming just like all the others.
Old 12-02-19, 12:10 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

No way back when Paula first started she always said that fragrance is always irritating even if you can't see it. However I agree that I do not like the direction the company has taken since she sold it.

I thought I missed the sale but apparently I did not. I just bought another tube of sunscreen.
Old 12-02-19, 02:18 PM  
Leonana

They do have a pretty good Black Friday sale.

I tend to agree with Paula, but then fragrance and I don't agree, lol.
Old 12-02-19, 02:33 PM  
Carol K

I'm not sensitive to fragrance, but since I'm so used to Paula's products, I don't like fragrance in my skin care. However, I like my shampoo and conditioner to smell good, so I don't use Paula's hair care.

Tags
beauty, beauty thread, beauty thread 2019, clothes, clothing, hair, makeup, skin