Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-19, 07:12 AM  
anne

Off topic but I've noticed that doing classical stretch workouts has helped me to walk faster and easier. I'm not a regular exercise walker though and haven't measured mph or bpm when I go for walks yet. Would be interesting to find out if my speed did increase for sure from cs--it felt like it did.
anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 09:58 AM  
gladgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
>> Podrunner <<
These may be useful. Walking to the beat, and gradually increase the BPM.
Each 'song' tends to go for around an hour. Non-stop, fixed pace.

I use these when walking the dog - keeps my pace up so I don't slow down into a dawdle. When she (dog) stops to sniff, I let her, but walk around her in circles until she's ready to move again. It's HER walk as much as mine.

ETAHAH! I had hastily added the link & my comments, after reading just the OP. Went back to read the rest of the posts and totally BEAMED about others talking of dogs / sniffing etc...
Thanks. Loved this site, too. Can't wait to workout to it later today.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 10:01 AM  
gladgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
The key to increasing walking speed is focusing on turnover. Stride length is a minor contributor compared to turnover. And the easiest way I've found to increase turnover was taught to me by a walking coach I worked with while marathon training many moons ago. She said to shorten your arms by bending them at the elbows, because shorter levers move faster, then let your arm swing drive your pace. Your legs will follow your arm swing. Lo and behold, she was SO RIGHT! I started bending my arms and focusing on increasing the pace of my arm swing and my legs just went right along with the program. And it was mentally a lot easier than trying to focus on leg turnover. I was able to improve my fast walking speed from 3.8 mph to 4.0 mph doing this.
Candace Grasso, in her guided workout, pretty much says the same about arms being bent and using them to propel leg movement. ..."low means slow" when your arms drop below that 90* bent.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maffetone method, walking, walking speed