Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-15, 04:24 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsyancy View Post
She actually complemented Amy, cathe and Patrick in her post, which is why I said we know who she was talking about and referencing in my post.
I only read Kelly's original post. Based on what you wrote, I'm going to agree with you. Amy, Cathe, and Patrick's workouts can be just as extreme as any of the BeachBody programs.

As for whether something is extreme, it's going to depend on the person. I'm not a competitive athlete and I'm in my 50's. After doing Insanity (in late 40's), Kelly came out with a 30 minute Plyo wo. I was really bored and didn't think it was challenging at all since I just finished Insanity. However, if somebody isn't used to plyo training then they might have found Kelly's wo too challenging.

So I'll just agree with those that say it's good to do a challenging wo once in awhile to push ourselves but not to overdo it and do one everyday. In that sense, I wouldn't do an Insanity type rotation all the time.

The whole 30 minute wo argument is ridiculous because timesaver workouts existed a long time ago. For example, Cathe's original CTX and the Firm parts wos came out before any of Kelly's 30 minute wos did.
Old 02-11-15, 04:26 PM  
Hilary

Well, I don't have a dog in this fight because I don't have any of Kelly's workouts. But it does sound as if she's obliquely referencing 21-Day Fix Extreme, which is not only 30 minutes but also titled "Extreme." I have the original Fix, am not planning on purchasing the new one, but I think it's important to note that there was a person doing serious modifications right front and center in all the original workouts, and I notice that there's one for Extreme as well. So there's definitely an option for those who can't keep up with an "extreme" level. At age 61, I still like a workout that makes me feel like I've worked out, big time. But my philosophy in my current Ripped with HiiT/XTrain rotation is that I'm not going to be able to go as high, as low, as deep, as wide, as heavy, or as fast as Cathe, and that's okay. No workout needs to be "barbaric" unless you follow the lead instructor slavishly. Here's to modification when needed, go at your own pace, and lots of variety in our workouts, our instructors, our goals, and our abilities!
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 06:07 PM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I just wonder how many of those BB series get left in the back of the closet. Think it is the infomercials that are misleading and really how many people are really capable of doing such workouts. They sell so many because of the promises they make not necessarily the results they deliver.
I think the vast majority of them never get used. In the real world (ie. not VF) of all of the people who I've known who bought Beachbody systems none have ever finished a rotation, and only one has lasted more than a week. I appreciate that very advanced systems are around for the people who can actually use them safely, but I do see a problem with the way these very advanced systems are mass marketed, particularly to beginners. Most of the infomercials are suggesting people will experience significant weight loss in a small amount of time, but most of the systems aren't workouts that someone who needs to lose a significant amount of weight is able to safely perform. So it's a bit unethical to promote very physically demanding and advanced workouts as the magic bullet for the general population, and it's sad because these systems are selling hope, but mostly only deliver frustration and feelings of inadequacy and hopelessness.

A friend of mine tried to do P90X when he was a mega fit 22-year old competitive MMA fighter on the verge of going pro. He was the only IRL person I've ever known to come close to finishing a Beachbody rotation, but he gave up before the end because he felt the program was "beating the hell out of me." So he returned to a training program where he was LITERALLY getting beat up on a near daily basis, because he found it easier on his body. After witnessing that whole process, I didn't feel so bad about the fact that I will NEVER do P90X. Power to people who do it and enjoy it, but that made me feel okay about the fact that I'll never be one of those people.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 10:06 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

I took Kelly's comment as her personal thoughts about the whole extreme workout trend. In my mind that trend includes all types of workouts, including DVD systems (regardless of producer), extreme bootcamp workouts and crossfit workouts that are not done in a safe manner. Challenging workouts are great. I love a good post-workout high. But when there is no common sense being used in whatever the approach may be (i.e. no modifications or acknowledgement that everyone cannot jump 3' vertically and they are 'wimps' for not doing 5 sets of 25 box jumps or 50 burpees in 30 seconds) or proper form demonstrated and instructed by the instructor, etc., it just irritates me to no end. A while back I tried out what was supposed to be a kickboxing circuit workout, but it ended up being an extreme bootcamp workout with very little kickboxing. The instructor told us we could modify if need be, but once the workout started she began shouting and pushing everyone to max out at every station and I saw people straining to keep up and using poor form (with no correction)... Once was enough. I won't be back.

I've done my fair share of extreme workouts. An occasional one is ok but what I worry about is what we are teaching our kids with the extremism. When I was in taekwondo they would have milk and cookie workouts with the younger to middle school boys. In those workouts they drink as much milk and eat as many cookies as they want, then they do extreme workouts until someone pukes - and it may be for a very long time before someone gets sick. Is that healthy? No. Did they learn anything? No. But we glorify the extremism and people fuel it with FB and instagram pictures of themselves or others pushing themselves to the point of a post-workout puke or showing themselves bleeding, etc. Seriously? Some of these instructors (on DVD, in gyms, in backyards) are telling people to essentially 'get their puke on' in so many words with no regard for personal health. Again, I love a good post-workout high but some of this overboard stuff has got to give...

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate

Last edited by Gibbee; 02-11-15 at 10:40 PM. Reason: typo
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 07:23 AM  
Calistro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbee View Post
I took Kelly's comment as her personal thoughts about the whole extreme workout trend. In my mind that trend includes all types of workouts, including DVD systems (regardless of producer), extreme bootcamp workouts and crossfit workouts that are not done in a safe manner.

Seriously? Some of these instructors (on DVD, in gyms, in backyards) are telling people to essentially 'get their puke on' in so many words with no regard for personal health. Again, I love a good post-workout high but some of this overboard stuff has got to give...
I have to agree that I also read Kelly's comments as her personal thoughts as well. I was thinking that perhaps, this is where she is at on her fitness journey.
I find that it is so hard to tell a person's tone of voice from an email/post thread Facebook comment etc., without actually hearing them speak. It could be well intentioned, but it is difficult to tell without watching body language and hearing the voice,

which is why I am apprehensive with commenting on the internet as people cannot read my face hear me etc. Which can lead to misunderstandings.

I know that I have had it with extreme workouts, (meaning the way I used to do them before) but only because I am fed up of injuries. I will still do an "extreme" workout once in a while because I love the accomplishment I feel, and also sometimes I just need to channel my restless energy.

I commented in a thread a while back that I was changing my collection to more moderate workouts to be kinder to my body, but I hope others did not see my post as putting down high impact workouts. It is just my opinion after all and where I am at now. I sometimes still mentally fight with the voices that tell me that If I am not working hard, then I am wasting my time, but I know that is not true and if I want longevity I have to be sensible as my body has changed.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 07:25 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calistro View Post
I have to agree that I also read Kelly's comments as her personal thoughts as well. I was thinking that perhaps, this is where she is at on her fitness journey.
I find that it is so hard to tell a person's tone of voice from an email/post thread Facebook comment etc., without actually hearing them speak. It could be well intentioned, but it is difficult to tell without watching body language and hearing the voice,

which is why I am apprehensive with commenting on the internet as people cannot read my face hear me etc. Which can lead to misunderstandings.

I know that I have had it with extreme workouts, (meaning the way I used to do them before) but only because I am fed up of injuries. I will still do an "extreme" workout once in a while because I love the accomplishment I feel, and also sometimes I just need to channel my restless energy.

I commented in a thread a while back that I was changing my collection to more moderate workouts to be kinder to my body, but I hope others did not see my post as putting down high impact workouts. It is just my opinion after all and where I am at now. I sometimes still mentally fight with the voices that tell me that If I am not working hard, then I am wasting my time, but I know that is not true and if I want longevity I have to be sensible as my body has changed.
Agreed!

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 08:08 AM  
killoffsonny

I feel the same way. But I'm 60 years old. I have no idea how old she is.
Old 02-12-15, 08:28 AM  
KaeLaVie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbee View Post
I took Kelly's comment as her personal thoughts about the whole extreme workout trend. In my mind that trend includes all types of workouts, including DVD systems (regardless of producer), extreme bootcamp workouts and crossfit workouts that are not done in a safe manner. Challenging workouts are great. I love a good post-workout high. But when there is no common sense being used in whatever the approach may be (i.e. no modifications or acknowledgement that everyone cannot jump 3' vertically and they are 'wimps' for not doing 5 sets of 25 box jumps or 50 burpees in 30 seconds) or proper form demonstrated and instructed by the instructor, etc., it just irritates me to no end. A while back I tried out what was supposed to be a kickboxing circuit workout, but it ended up being an extreme bootcamp workout with very little kickboxing. The instructor told us we could modify if need be, but once the workout started she began shouting and pushing everyone to max out at every station and I saw people straining to keep up and using poor form (with no correction)... Once was enough. I won't be back.

I've done my fair share of extreme workouts. An occasional one is ok but what I worry about is what we are teaching our kids with the extremism. When I was in taekwondo they would have milk and cookie workouts with the younger to middle school boys. In those workouts they drink as much milk and eat as many cookies as they want, then they do extreme workouts until someone pukes - and it may be for a very long time before someone gets sick. Is that healthy? No. Did they learn anything? No. But we glorify the extremism and people fuel it with FB and instagram pictures of themselves or others pushing themselves to the point of a post-workout puke or showing themselves bleeding, etc. Seriously? Some of these instructors (on DVD, in gyms, in backyards) are telling people to essentially 'get their puke on' in so many words with no regard for personal health. Again, I love a good post-workout high but some of this overboard stuff has got to give...

I totally agree! This post was on her personal page, not a company page. I think she was being conversational and bringing up something that many also feel. I did not read it as her slam to other instructors at all, though some that commented said as much.

Actually, it was a breath of fresh air to read. I've purchased and used MANY "barbaric" workouts over the years and I've been to Crossfit and boxing classes, etc. I learned that I CAN do these things...because I will push past what I should, just to show I can (especially in live classes LOL) But... in the longterm, I would be worse for the wear. I'm 53 and workout regularly. I'm still in good shape, but I don't want to kill myself in a workout and I'm glad to hear someone like Kelly, whose work I respect, feels the same way.

I think it's great that in these times that there are plenty of hardcore workouts and people who follow them. Just because I don't want to do them anymore doesn't negate that they are great for others. I'm also glad that there are also professionals who say there are other ways to get results and you do not have to go to that extreme. I just discovered Kelly's workouts and they are perfect for me. I'm sure that the extreme workouts are perfect for others. I was glad to read Kelly's words because she speaks to where I am. It's a shame that all comments are so heavily dissected on the internet...but they are. I am just glad she chose to post this opinion anyway.
KaeLaVie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 08:32 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by killoffsonny View Post
I feel the same way. But I'm 60 years old. I have no idea how old she is.
Early 50s.
Old 02-12-15, 08:33 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Gibbee expressed exactly how I took Kelly's comments. I'm sure Kelly wasn't dissing anyone in particular.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extreme workouts, kcm, kelly coffey meyer