Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-03-15, 02:39 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
I am a little confused by this thread. A lot of people equate Cathe weight workouts with lifting heavy on this forum. To me, only a handful of her DVDs are heavy lifting (Meso 3, that XTrain upper body DVD, I don't have Ripped with Hiit so don't know about that set). However pretty much all of her weight DVDs are body building style with very high volume of work.
I'm a bit confused by your confusion about this thread. "Heavy" and "light" is highly subjective, but I don't agree that "a lot of people on this form equate Cathe weight workouts with heavy lifting." I know I don't. Cathe really hasn't even really been mentioned in this thread so I'm unclear as to why she is referenced or how it applies to this topic? To me the thread is a discussion of decreasing the poundage one uses in a training regimen. Maybe we are viewing the topic differently.

Good for you if your routine works for you, keep doing it. Personally I've been squatted half to death and am happy to have changed my training method, at least temporarily.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-15, 03:50 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
To me the thread is a discussion of decreasing the poundage one uses in a training regimen. Maybe we are viewing the topic differently.
Exactly.
Old 11-03-15, 04:04 PM  
TinaT

The term decrease in pounds is subjective. For me, what I use now is probably laughable to some and wonder why I'm holding weights at all. But I have lowered my weight significantly and yet have found a way to make it effect.

Finding the right workouts with the weight amount that works for each of us, will definitely be different. I talk about the FIRM alot, but to others it doesn't equal out. Cathe doesn't work for me. Love that there are so many choices.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-15, 04:05 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Gr8 timing! After having gone to the gym and lifting heavier again since summer, I'm totally burned out and crave lighter workouts again (mainly barre)!
The past week I've been doing strictly SBF and really feel so much better!
For me I think it's all about proper balance; I might not stop doing heavier workouts every once in a while at the gym (I only have up to 15# DB here at home) but am looking forward to doing my Firms etc. at home again and not feel bad if I actually don't go heavier than using what I have!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-15, 04:06 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I'm a bit confused by your confusion about this thread. "Heavy" and "light" is highly subjective, but I don't agree that "a lot of people on this form equate Cathe weight workouts with heavy lifting." I know I don't. Cathe really hasn't even really been mentioned in this thread so I'm unclear as to why she is referenced or how it applies to this topic? To me the thread is a discussion of decreasing the poundage one uses in a training regimen. Maybe we are viewing the topic differently.

Good for you if your routine works for you, keep doing it. Personally I've been squatted half to death and am happy to have changed my training method, at least temporarily.
Desie mentioned Cathe specifically and someone early on mentioned p90x, but you are right, a lot of people left it unspecified what their heavy weight training consisted of. I happen to know from previous posts that the original poster does or did a lot of Cathe.

ETA: Are you still doing the same number of sets and reps with lighter weights? Or are you doing something completely different now? That's the distinction I was trying to make. There are many different styles of strength training, beyond just heavy and light.

Last edited by Chomper; 11-03-15 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Trying to clarify point
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-15, 08:26 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
Gina ~ I'm with you. It's actually been pretty simple to lower my poundage and still get a great workout in with FitFav FIRMs. I'm falling back in love again with how they make me feel. Yet, I'm not killing myself. My tall step is about half the height I used to use.
Yup, my step's decreased as well by quite a bit. Still feel it, just not in my knees. Oh and without changing my eating I'm down 15 lbs from my February weight.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-15, 08:57 PM  
SeptemberGirl

For those of you who are lifting lighter and getting great results, are you doing those workouts daily?
SeptemberGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-15, 09:28 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I average 5 days per week, but sometimes 4. I walk and do some form of stretching daily.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-15, 07:33 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeptemberGirl View Post
For those of you who are lifting lighter and getting great results, are you doing those workouts daily?
I have found that my weekends get too busy with kids/family activities/house chores/outside work, so I only workout M-F, and only in a limited timeframe since I have to get to work and get everyone to school/work:

M - some sort of functional fitness/followed by a CS/Essentrics
T - cardio (either no weights or just a 5 lb med ball)
W - some sort of pilates or fusion/followed by a CS/Ess
Th - some sort of functional fitness/followed by a CS/Ess
Fri - cardio (perhaps something with a higher intensity)

I only have around an hour so I fit in what I can. It works out to two functional weight workouts (usually Tracie Long/FitFaves), two cardio (usually something dancy or fun, sometimes step because I love that), one pilates/fusion (usually an Ellen B or something ballet, sometimes yoga), and three CS/Ess on the days that I can fit it in.

I have found that if I do more than this, I hurt too much through the day and feel exhausted, and if I don't keep to this schedule, I also feel the same! So it works for me, and I am much leaner than when I did crazy intense workouts.

A note on Cathe from above: I have also given up Cathe sadly. I had been buying her workouts since 1992, but for some reason, the amount of reps she does in both cardio and weights makes me far too sore (and quite honestly, bored). I stopped at Party Rocking Step 1 and 2, which I do quite often.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-15, 07:51 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Me. I am the opposite.
My body wants a mix but particularly heavy kettlebell work.
I am back at KBs for good.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light weights