Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-12-06, 09:24 AM  
Yogadad

Smile Gut Check :) (intuitively choosing what program to do)

Hi,

This actually isn't about abs or losing weight

I was going through my collection this morning to decide what Yoga to do and I noticed that as I was going through the different titles I had a definite feeling in my belly as to which one I wanted to do this morning. I guess this always happens but today I really noticed myself doing this and "listening" to that feeling until I decided what to do.

Interestingly enough I chose Sean Corne's first Vinyasa program which I hadn't done in at least a year. It ended up being exactly what I needed, it moved slowly enough for my tired body and yet still "moved" enough to really unwind the knots I had this morning.

Does anyone else go through a process like this when choosing what they want to do or is it more of an intellectual process.

I know that often when I use my head instead of my gut I often do what I think I "should" do rather than what my body really needs, and then I will push too hard.

Anyway, I'd be curious to see if anyone else sort of uses this "selection process"

Best,

Scott
Yogadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-06, 09:27 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hi Scott,

Lately, my habit has been to jot down an overview of the workouts I want to do for the week. Sometimes, it will be specific videos, but other times, it will just be a type of exercise--eg, I might note "short Pilates" or "longer yoga." And than there are times when I don't feel like doing whatever I had planned, so I just open up my video cabinet, take a look, and see what appeals to me!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-06, 09:33 AM  
ErinF
Exchange Moderator

All the time! :)

I have a loose "rotation" that I follow, so I know that, for example, today I will do total body weights. I won't know which one of my many options I'll be doing though, until I stare at my shelf and my gut tells me.

DISCLAIMER: I appeared as a background exerciser in a Patrick Goudeau step video. Impartiality in regard to his workouts, or any those of any other instructor with complex choreography, is NOT guaranteed!
ErinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-06, 09:38 AM  
maitai

Always!
I don't think I could ever follow a roation
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-06, 09:40 AM  
behaha

Scott, I find when I follow my gut I usually pick the exact right workout for me for that day. When I think too hard about it I end up doing something with only half a will, or doing only half the tape. Even when I set a rotation I try to keep "lower body weights" vague enough to go with my gut, not my head.

But I do need to plan to make sure I don't step too often, because it is my preferred form of cardio.
behaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-06, 09:58 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

My gut spoke this morning. I kept looking at different workouts that fit the criteria I had decided on, but they didn't "feel" right. I looked at The Greatest Step Workout and it just felt right. And, it was a great workout for this morning.

A lot of mornings, I just grab a workout that fits the criteria I want and it's all a process in the head. But, there are days I just gotta go with the gut.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-06, 10:49 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Always. I am currently on the cardio-averse lazy slug rotation. Its been mainly yoga and hikes with the Canine-Americans for me.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-06, 11:10 AM  
Debra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy T
Always. I am currently on the cardio-averse lazy slug rotation. Its been mainly yoga and hikes with the Canine-Americans for me.
I could have written that. I'm doing weights only because I'm not advanced enough in yoga to rely on it for all of my strength work. I do enjoy pilates mat classes but the instructors are part of the appeal.

I don't follow a strict rotation. It depends on how I feel, if DH can exercise the hounds, time constraints & what my live instructors do in class.

Debra
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-06, 12:07 PM  
JustSandra

I'm another follower of the "gut rotation!" I have a few general guidelines, like at least some cardio at each workout (to warm up the knees), strength training 2-3 times per week for each body area, plus additional core. Other than that, I just do a quick evaluation: energy level, any soreness from the last workout, time available, am I going to work later (I work part time and part of my job is physical), if I'm working am I biking there, what haven't I done in a while, am I in the mood for something new, etc. It seems the right workout almost always announces itself!

I admire those disciplined enough to follow a strict rotation, but I never have and at this point I don't think I ever will.

Cheers,
Sandra
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-06, 04:23 PM  
Yogadad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscharlach
I'm another follower of the "gut rotation!" I have a few general guidelines, like at least some cardio at each workout (to warm up the knees), strength training 2-3 times per week for each body area, plus additional core. Other than that, I just do a quick evaluation: energy level, any soreness from the last workout, time available, am I going to work later (I work part time and part of my job is physical), if I'm working am I biking there, what haven't I done in a while, am I in the mood for something new, etc. It seems the right workout almost always announces itself!

I admire those disciplined enough to follow a strict rotation, but I never have and at this point I don't think I ever will.

Cheers,
Sandra
My workout is always the same format so that's never an issue (Pilates followed by Yoga) so in my case it's more a matter of which program of each to choose. I also have started adding some walking in as well, but even though we have a treadmill, which we bought for my wife, I am pretty much an "outside" walker. Of course this is bound to change in the winter if I decide I must keep walking
Yogadad is offline   Reply With Quote