Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-20, 02:42 PM  
bubbles76

I'm working out later - 7-8PM versus 4-5AM . Homeschooling and teleworking makes it harder to get any work done. So I let Tiny Bubble sleep in so I can get work done earlier. I work out late at night because I sleep so much better.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-20, 03:09 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Porter View Post
I am sleeping more than I have in 20 years (before kids) and my skin has never looked better.
you hit the nail on the head to explain why i feel less stress.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-20, 07:20 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

When we left HI I gave up a lot of my home equipment--rebounder, heavier weights, yoga accessories, BOSU, step etc. Luckily we moved to a place that has excellent swimming pools and a well equipped gym, and started using those facilities with an occasional home workout thrown in.

We voluntarily stopped using those facilities at the end of Feb, and they've been officially closed since mid-March. I've been doing a lot of outdoor walking and hiking, and some old cardio workouts as well as some high rep low weight workouts (I have 2 10-lb leg weights that I bundle in 5, 3, and 2 lb bundles) I can't hold all 10 in one hand but I do OK with 8. Thank goodness the weather has been nice.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-20, 07:40 PM  
bfit

I'm getting really bored with exercise. I was swimming and doing water aerobics twice a week, but the pool is closed, and I was going to Bar Method classes twice a week and that is closed. I'm running, walking, and doing DVD workouts, but it's so repetitive. I can't find DVDs that are challenging or fun. I think my fitness, especially upper body, is decreasing.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 07:29 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Before the pandemic, I was working from home two days a week anyway so it's not that much of a difference for me. I haven't belonged to a gym in over 10 years and prefer home exercise, so now that I'm WFH all week, it's great because I can fit workouts in whenever I want. I normally exercise in the evening on the days I'm in the office, but I really prefer to exercise in the afternoon.
Old 03-28-20, 09:19 AM  
donnamp

It has been a mixed bag for me. Before this outbreak I worked at home one day per week. Now I'm working from home 4 days a week but I am scheduled to go in one day a week - although this week, due to some people in my building being tested for the virus - I did not go in and worked from home all week.

The positives have been - no commuting and I'm able to sleep later and get more sleep! Where I work we are still very mired in paper processes and in person meetings and this has made us take a look at doing things more efficiently and in a way that fits in with the 21st century. I hope that continues to be the case once this is all over and we don't just revert back to our old ways.

The negative have been - b/c of our processes some things have just been difficult to complete at home - prior to the pandemic when I worked at home 1 day per week I just brought home work that could be done remotely, now we are doing everything remotely which has been somewhat challenging since we are still so mired in paper. Another negative has been that I feel there are about 1,000 more ways for people to get in touch with me - it is not just e-mail and phone any more - now it is Skype and Teams - so I find myself constantly being interrupted. Additionally - due to where I work and what I do (contracts/purchasing for a local health department) I'm busier than ever in dealing with emergency needs and each day brings a new scenario to address. I suppose that is a positive thing as well since it is encouraging creative thinking! But it is stressful, too I have also been stressed b/c my DD is home from school (they are finally starting distance learning on Monday) and has had nothing to do. She is a junior in H.S. and was having some "issues" in 2019 - that I think are largely due to being on the internet/social media too much. So I have been worried about her having too much idle time to fill.

I'm still trying to do my workouts in the morning before work - and in the evenings my DD and I have been walking in the neighborhood (while practicing social distancing!).

I hope that when things return to normal that we keep looking for ways to do things more efficiently and that we can increase our telework time to maybe 2-3 days per week.

I have also save a lot of $$ in gas - although gas prices have come way down.

Hope everyone has a good Saturday!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 09:26 AM  
alisoncooks

I already "WFH" (homeschooling) so my days haven't changed that much. I'm just getting back into exercising after a 2 month hiatus.

Even though we are usually home most days, we are missing our regular outings (clubs and classes, museums/libraries, lunches out). We visit the zoo regularly in the spring, and we're missing it this year. Little things, I know, but they do result in a general lethargy (sleeping in, sitting around too much). So I'm trying to do more outdoors workouts for all of us -- I think we need it.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 10:17 AM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I'm getting really bored with exercise. I was swimming and doing water aerobics twice a week, but the pool is closed, and I was going to Bar Method classes twice a week and that is closed. I'm running, walking, and doing DVD workouts, but it's so repetitive. I can't find DVDs that are challenging or fun. I think my fitness, especially upper body, is decreasing.
Have you tried Bar Method dvds or streaming? As I recall, this Bar Method Advanced workout was tougher than their other dvds and used copies are reasonably priced.
Old 03-28-20, 11:29 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
When we left HI I gave up a lot of my home equipment--rebounder, heavier weights, yoga accessories, BOSU, step etc. Luckily we moved to a place that has excellent swimming pools and a well equipped gym, and started using those facilities with an occasional home workout thrown in.

We voluntarily stopped using those facilities at the end of Feb, and they've been officially closed since mid-March. I've been doing a lot of outdoor walking and hiking, and some old cardio workouts as well as some high rep low weight workouts (I have 2 10-lb leg weights that I bundle in 5, 3, and 2 lb bundles) I can't hold all 10 in one hand but I do OK with 8. Thank goodness the weather has been nice.
Aloha Jenn - hope you guys are doing ok!! miss you.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 03-28-20, 12:01 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

donnamp, i enjoyed reading your post.

i saw an interview last night with i think an HR consultant - don't remember who it was, but he said employers might reconsider allowing working from home if it lowers their overhead of office rent, etc.

changing to a more paperless way of working is best done gradually - that's how our company changed. the reason for that is because the processes are dependent on people's behavior and behavior is the most difficult thing to change.

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, wfh