Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-20, 01:02 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Besides gas and rotisserie chicken, the biggest savings for us have been with my hearing aid and glasses for both of us. The savings on just those will find our membership for years. We also tend to buy some of our drugstore type staples there because they cost about the same, but you get so much more for the price. I also get some of their frozen stuff and sometimes I get bakery items and freeze them in small packages. It's definitely not the place to buy fruits and veggies.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 01:05 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Yes, we’ve used it for glasses and are impressed with the quality & price. For us up here, the lens prescriptions are done in Canada, Quebec IIRC, which I like.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 01:25 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Pat, welcome to Costco.

the greatest thing I like about Costco is using their gas station. you can have a regular membership and use their gas station.

we've used their car buying connection when we bought our Honda van.

DH & I use their optical department for glasses and contacts. dollar for dollar, way cheaper, even when your Vision Service Plan doctor has a so-called "discount" for patients on appliances (glasses).

hardware and automobile things are really affordable - windshield wipers, winplus car battery charger. and car batteries!!

yes, the meat portions are huge, so I usually freeze half and cook the other half.

DH bought his Total Gym from Costco, and he bought me my first dumbbell set from them years ago. i also bought my pilates ring kit from them years ago. when people started sheltering in place, I noticed customers were buying all of the exercise equipment - weight sets, portable fitness kits, etc. they also sell puzzle mats.

i find that cleaning products have more ounces or volume for the price.

edited to add:
we use their photo department every year for the family Christmas photo. I've also used this service for creating (online) party invitations, and having Costco print it for me for store pick up.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.

Last edited by bzar; 04-06-20 at 04:51 PM. Reason: added Costco photo service
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 02:33 PM  
jackie7

Love COSTCO.Gas is great and the treatment of employees is much better than BJs. Even part timers get partial health and dental benefits.
jackie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 02:43 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie7 View Post
Love COSTCO.Gas is great and the treatment of employees is much better than BJs. Even part timers get partial health and dental benefits.
I noticed immediately that the employees at Costco provide above and beyond customer service. Not that BJ's folks are "bad" by any means but the Costco folks project a very happy face.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 02:52 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie7 View Post
Yes I’ve heard that too, good wages & benefits. I like to support that!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 03:24 PM  
BunnyHop

A friend of mine saved a fortune on her hearing aids, bought with a Costco card made it an even better deal (longer extended warranty, more replacements).

My sister and her husband shop there. They've got a big deep freezer, so I guess it makes sense.

I've been seeing Youtube videos on how to batch prep foods for the slow cooker, chopping and freezing ziplock bags of vegetables for stew or smoothies. Makes sense if you cook a lot of the same things.

I don't actually live close enough to make it worth it, so I haven't taken the plunge. (Dad had a SAMs club card for a while years ago, cancelled it properly, then had somebody come after him to collect membership fees he hadn't paid. His paperwork was perfect and his lawyer got them to back down, but no I never did get a card of my own after that.)
Old 04-06-20, 03:44 PM  
IceQueen07

love Costco. There is only 2 of us, but most products sizes seem to work for us. I have a vacuum sealer and outside freezer so I normally just split things down based on how much we eat. We have a BJs the same distance away and I was not overly impressed and never renewed my membership after a year.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 06:05 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

The gas of course (which is "detergent"/"top tier" gas so better for your car I guess). However, our Sam's Club added a gas station and its gas prices are usually cheaper than Costco's (even though I don't think the Sam's gas is top tier). In fact, I filled up at Sam's Club the other week for $1.39/gal! Haven't seen prices that low in a couple decades around here.

My main Costco items are the organic strawberry spread/jelly for PB&J sandwiches, the Rao's marinara sauce (it's so expensive if you buy it at a regular grocery store), the Garofalo brand dried pasta (can you tell I don't do much cooking?) which is better IMO than Barilla, etc.

Costco's Kirkland chocolate chips are my staple choc. chips for baking (the 51% cacao ones, if you can find them). They sometimes go for long periods without having them and then they came out with Kirkland semi-sweet ones recently but I haven't tried them yet and they have milk product in them I think so probably won't be as good.

I only buy it around the holidays to eat with pie mainly but Costco has THE BEST vanilla ice cream (and I've tried a lot of vanilla ice cream and custards). It's usually marketed under their store brand Kirkland but once upon a time it came in packaging from the people that I think actually make it (Humboldt Creamery IIRC).

I've heard good things from my uncle about Costco's pure vanilla extract for baking, but I never stray from the Frontier Co-op pure vanilla extract I get at Whole Foods.

My mom gets her Nature's Bounty Fish Oil pills from Costco (when on sale) and her Kirkland Glucosamine w/MSM pills (also when on sale). My mom likes the tempura shrimp in the freezer section. It went away for a couple years but then came back. In the interim we found that Trader Joe's carries something very similar, but not as good pricing so my mom was happy when Costco brought the big box of tempura shrimp back.

The Charisma Hygrocotton towels are pretty darn nice for the price (found out about those while staying at a casita near Capitol Reef in Utah because they used that brand in the bathrooms). And Costco's regular pillows are superior to Sam's Club regular pillows (I use them in the guest bedroom, so not sure how they'd hold up to daily use).

Depending on if/how often you use razor blades and if they carry your brand, that alone can make the membership worth it (both at Sam's Club and Costco).

I prefer Costco's size Kleenex boxes to Sam's Club's smaller size. We use Sam's Club though for my razor blades, my mom's toothpaste, paper towels, shaving cream, sonicare toothbrush head refills, dental floss, water softener salt, etc. because in general Sam's Club has better prices on certain things. We also get our eye exams, glasses and/or contacts at Sam's Club.

We get Depends diapers for my grandma at either Costco or Sam's, depending on who has the better sale on them. Last time Costco's sale on Depends was actually lower than Sam's sale price.

My mom likes the Kirkland Trail Mix (she used to bring it to her bridge games as a group snack, pre-pandemic). Costco also used to carry an Asian snack mix that my mom would get for bridge snacks but I haven't seen that in a few years now I think.

I like Morningstar fake chicken nuggets and for a few months in late 2019 or early 2020 Costco had this huge bag of them in the freezer section. But then they seemed to stop carrying them after awhile. That's the thing with Costco, certain things can come and go.

And if you like ravioli from the refrigerated section, they carry a brand I enjoy--Rana something. I like the mini 3-cheese ones and my mom likes the lobster, butternut squash, and some other ones. Never know which ones will be in stock. You can easily cut the packages in two and freeze one. It's the only store-bought ravioli I like. Not a fan of the red heart cheese raviolis that they sell around Valentine's Day though.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 06:21 PM  
Leonana

I haven't been to Costco in a month, the lines are always so long to get in. We don't have a BJ's in our area, I don't believe. I like Costco better than Sam's Club.

The things I have bought over the years:

Gas
Eyeglasses and Contacts
Batteries
Clothes
Rotisserie Chicken
Bakery items
Wine
Berries
Toilet paper
Paper Towels
Butter
Laundry Detergent
Frozen Chicken Tenderloins
Scoop Away Cat Litter
Raw nuts in the baking aisle
Baking Soda for laundry and cleaning (9 pound bag)
Gallon of Vinegar (2 in the box)
Bread
Cereal
Ritz Crackers

The most enjoyable time at Costco is Christmas, they have the best gifts. And of course the samples. That's one thing I'm looking forward to when this is over!

Tags
costco