Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-20, 05:39 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
I'm concerned that you can't be more specific about your original diagnosis. Did you see an orthopedist or sports med doc? Were your symptoms bilateral or limited to one leg? Did you have an MRI of your low back as part of your evaluation? Sciatica type symptoms can come from impingement by muscles in the butt/hip (piriformis etc) but also from spine/disc issues. Numbness and tingling or weakness in the legs (not just pain) can be signs of compression in the spine.

If you feel comfortable that your doc/PT fully diagnosed and resolved the original issue, then it seems reasonable that inactivity or even the nerve impingement itself could have resulted in some muscle atrophy and loss of flexibility. If that is the case, I would add a daily mobility session (and foam rolling as mentioned earlier). I would also reduce standing leg work and focus more on glute work and flexibility (esp in anterior chain/hip flexors). If you are doing a lot of lunges/squats without proper glute activation, this can worsen the problem. You will not get proper lengthening in the hip flexors if the glutes are weak and vice versa. Floor work (bridges esp) and stretching/mobility work can be very helpful in regaining glute strength.

ETA: Glutes are supposed to be the main drivers in static lunges. If they are not activating properly, it can put more demand on leg muscles. This is not good for you hip or knee joints and can give you the sense that your legs feel weak when in fact they are just being asked to do more now. You may want to assess glute activation on each side separately. Get into bridge position and extend 1 leg up in the air while lifting. How does the right compare to the left? How does hip flexor stretching compare on each side?

How to balance your glutes

How hip flexors affect glute activation

Sample of some glute activation exercises

You might also be interested in articles/clips on "gluteal amnesia" aka dead butt syndrome.

FYI--Bands can be very helpful in using floor work to rehab and restore balance in butt/hips.
Here is Taiga's post horusosiris lots of good stuff!!
Thanks for joining in! I keep learning from everyone who posts, too. It's all a big bowl of awesomesauce!!

ChelePA I hope you get a good report!

bee you have mentioned another Cathe I want to try ..the original PHA. Thanks for confirming it needs to stay on my wish list.

kittybug sounds like you found a rotation groove...great job! It's nice when that happens and I like the mix and match approach.

Fitness Goddesses...I'm standing on the Slow and Heavy cliff and about to rappel it the next two weeks but only for upper body. My notes indicate I didn't care for the legs so I will be using Lean legs and abs and Great glutes instead. I will be mixing in Ellen's lighter cardio and, of course, plenty of mobility.

My only issue is my appetite has really increased and I'm starting to get bored of my post workout fuel. If you all have some favorite websites or go-to ideas. Please share!
Hope you all have a great Monday!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 07:49 AM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
Taiga- please tell me more about the extra glute work.

Kittybug- I always wish that Cathe would do an STS II.
Looks like the glute work question has been answered

And I would love an STS 2!!! Ideally, it would be a shorter maintenance rotation (4-6 weeks?) with maybe 30-45min workouts and more recovery/mobility type work sprinkled along the way.
Old 04-06-20, 08:55 AM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
For the last month I have been revisiting many of the Cathe DVDs. I am also doing some workout blender workouts that I or others have created. I am also doing the weekly solo Cathe Live workouts. In some ways I prefer the Cathe solo Live workouts to the ones with the class.

Today I did Lite series Rev'd Up Rumble. I have not done this workout in a while and I remember why it is my favorite Cathe kickboxing workout (Kick Punch and Crunch used to be one of my favorite).
I did Rev’d Up Rumble with abs and Calorie Crush. I wore weighted gloves and modified as needed. Now that I have watched and completed a few different chair workouts on YouTube, I am able to modify the lower body kicks, runs, etc. while seated to get a nice workout.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 09:20 AM  
horusosiris

Thanks Taiga and Fanofladyvols for glute information. I almost always do glute activation exercises prior to my lower body workouts. I know that it does improve my loer body work.

Kittybug and Taiga- I am also waiting STS II. 45 minutes at tops would be ideal. I use the workout blender to shorten the STS workouts. I have gone through STS three times now. I did not do it the same any of the times. The first time I did the program as outlined. The second time I did it as an undulating rotation. The third time I exchanged many of the exercises for other ones that work the same muscle groups.

Fanofladyvols- what do you currently consume for your post workout fuel? I love peanut butter so I incorporate it into many of my post workout nourishment meals.

Bee-
I too am so not a fan of repeating things! I use the workout blender to take out the repeats. I wish that more of Cathe's premixes would include a no repeat option. I can repeat muscle work exercises but cardio moves I do not like to repeat.

ChelePA- How did you like Rev'd Up Rumble?

I did Cathe's Bootcamp and Muscle Endurance Bonus premix this morning. I love the Cathe DVDs that combine segments of two workouts. I added in some extra chest work afterwards since today is my chest day.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 12:16 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hello friends and happy Monday.

This morning I looked past the old outfits and set and did Maximum Intensity Cardio..... well, the floor portion, not the whole long thing. It really ramped up! Cathe looks so cute in her youthful short hair!

I'm not sure what I'm going to do the rest of the week..... this always happens for me in rotations. I hear what other people are doing and I want to change course. So, I will give it some thought today.

For the first time in more than three weeks I'll leave my house today to go to Costco. I'm really afraid, to be honest! Not looking forward to this.

Cheers.....
Old 04-06-20, 03:01 PM  
Mickey12

My husband wants to go for a walk today after work because it's such a gorgeous day. I decided to sneak in something quick before he got home. I chose Lite Strong Body Stacked Sets, Upper. Perfect ! 35 minutes and it's done. Cathe doesn't really use heavy weight in this at all. I was able to match her weights on most exercises and that NEVER happens.

ChelePA, do you have the Lite series? The Stacked Upper Body is just that, only upper body exercises. It would be a good one for you now.

I hope everyone is doing well. I'm fighting to stay positive today. I guess we all have those days.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 03:41 PM  
fanofladyvols

horusosiris thanks for the peanut butter reminder...I will add to my protein shake. Ok so here's what I have been cycling through: cottage cheese with fresh fruit and toasted seeds, protein shakes with fresh greens and frozen fruit of some kind, Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and toasted seeds. I had been doing boiled eggs but I'm trying to conserve those. So I do get creative varying the choice of fruit in the shake and the flavor of the Greek yogurt. But I have been doing these since January ...they work great but yeah need something else.

kim hang in there. .it is discouraging to hear the number of cases ...I try to focus on the increasing number of recoveries. I hope you are able to walk outdoors today and glance around at something spring like and beautiful!

bee I totally understand your apprehension. I have to go out and get milk and some other necessities and I dread the hunt from store to store and looking at the empty empty shelves. I plan on focusing on what I am able to purchase and not the constant risk. I can't function at the level I need to if I don't.

Today is a day dedicated to mobility. Found a great BJ Gaddour YouTube and will add CS to the longer foam rolling workout.

Practice singing the song in your heart ...hugs Fitness Goddesses

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 04:38 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hello everyone and happy Monday!

Welcome horusosirus! I like your screen name--I'm a fan of Egyptian mythology--any mythology really. I'm all in on the peanut butter. It is definitely food of the gods IMHO, Egyptian and otherwise. I have been known to snack on a spoonful of it. I prefer the kind that is just peanuts and a little salt.

Yesterday I did Power Hour followed by Step Heat. Power Hour was tough! The first section seemed like endless squats. Cathe calls this a high rep workout, which it is, but she sure uses weights that are pretty heavy for how fast the movements are. At least IMHO. I didn't use as much barbell weight as Cathe, and I sometimes substituted dumbbells for barbells. It was a good workout and I did like the music. Even the howling woman who bothered me in Rhythmic Step didn't bother me here. Step Heat is fun, HOT, and I couldn't take my eyes off the orange and gold aluminum foil wallpaper.

kittybug, our Maine Coon is a mellow guy, but also doesn't take any crap from the little poop disturber that is the youngest feline resident. I'm glad to see him push his "brother" away when he gets out of hand. bee, don't you just love the Maine Coon personality? It's like having a dog that meows and purrs.

manley, I have Upper Body Stacked Sets. Thanks for the rec! I'll get to it eventually. I'm feeling like at the rate I'm going it will be months until I hit the 2000s regularly!

kim, we have really been avoiding the news since it's so upsetting and so much is out of our control. It's been a challenge. {{hugs}}

Waves to our ever expanding fierce group!!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 04:50 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Today I did a Live download that I had purchased. It was a cardio workout that used the stability ball, mat, fitness loops, dumbbells, and "freestyle." Maybe because I did a lot yesterday, or maybe because I'm just getting "older and slower", but it seemed very tough! There is an older woman who participates in some of the Lives I've seen and I always watch her since I think she is probably close to my age. She was really keeping up so I felt like kind of a wimp when she did all the (&*! one armed burpees and I modified like crazy. Good for her!

Tomorrow will be a rest day---may take a walk. I have done the freebie lives for today but I "might" try one tomorrow if there is one that is different. I'm almost hoping there isn't one since I probably need a day off!

Waves to all!!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 05:28 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
My husband wants to go for a walk today after work because it's such a gorgeous day. I decided to sneak in something quick before he got home. I chose Lite Strong Body Stacked Sets, Upper. Perfect ! 35 minutes and it's done. Cathe doesn't really use heavy weight in this at all. I was able to match her weights on most exercises and that NEVER happens.

ChelePA, do you have the Lite series? The Stacked Upper Body is just that, only upper body exercises. It would be a good one for you now.

I hope everyone is doing well. I'm fighting to stay positive today. I guess we all have those days.

Kim
Thanks for the recommendation! Actually just did that one Sunday! A good one!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
analysis paralysis, cathe, cathe rotation, cathe rotation checkin, cathe rotations, too many choices, too many options, variety, watulan check-in