Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-20, 05:41 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
I’m retiring . I certainly wasn’t planning on retiring (I’m only 57 after all) but due to many changes at work—my immediate supervisor and his supervisor were let go. Then my job changed drastically and I found myself not really even knowing what I was supposed to be doing after 32-years on the same job. So I made the painful decision to leave a lucrative salary for a small pension and peace of mind. It took me 3-weeks to come to terms with my decision (not able to eat or sleep, severe anxiety) but now I’m ok.

I plan on taking the holidays off and then looking for a job with less responsibility to supplement my pension and help with insurance.
Yay Tracy!!! Congratulations!! I hope you enjoy your time off. I LOVE being retired but MAY look for something eventually. It will have to be part time and something I like. I'm so excited for you!!
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-20, 07:28 PM  
DCW

A few years ago, I applied for federal jobs and got interviews and offers.

Many folks are leaving because so many baby boomers are retiring. The process is long and you may forget that you applied for the job. Persist. Jobs will continue to show up. I use to work for the feds decades ago. I loved working for my country and taking an oath to serve.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-20, 07:30 PM  
DCW

Congratulations Tracy!!

I have many retired friends who are so happy that the lines in their faces are from grins and smiling plus sheer joy and glee.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-20, 01:37 PM  
TracyQ

Thanks everyone. I haven’t mentioned it to too many people yet because it’s hard to wrap my brain around it.

DCW—I want the lines on my face to be from smiling . I’m afraid if I stayed any longer that would not have been the case.

Annette—when I do start looking for another job it will be part time and something I enjoy.

In the meantime, I plan to organize my workout DVDs, deep clean my whole house one room at a time, take some online computer courses, complete a 1,000 piece puzzle and workout and read until my hearts content.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-20, 04:01 PM  
Hsim

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I haven’t mentioned it to too many people yet because it’s hard to wrap my brain around it.

DCW—I want the lines on my face to be from smiling . I’m afraid if I stayed any longer that would not have been the case.

Annette—when I do start looking for another job it will be part time and something I enjoy.

In the meantime, I plan to organize my workout DVDs, deep clean my whole house one room at a time, take some online computer courses, complete a 1,000 piece puzzle and workout and read until my hearts content.
Sounds like a plan! Enjoy!
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-20, 05:39 PM  
donnamp

Tracy - enjoy! I'm GREEN with envy.

Donna - who is facing the Sunday Scaries right now - another bonus to retiring, Sunday nights are enjoyable!
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-20, 09:15 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
Is your current job with the government? If not, one thing to keep in mind is that on a government resume, list EVERYTHING you've ever done. I always called it the "kitchen sink" resume. DH's resume was always so much longer than mine. That's because you need to give them every possible thing that they could count toward the job you're applying for. Anyway, it's definitely doable. Good luck!
i'm in the private sector. i lurk on this site called federalsoup and took all of the advice that members wrote about, and yes, i built a long resume on the usajobs.gov resume builder tool. i cloned that and created another resume by adding on a few more lines to fit the second announcement that i applied for.

i come from a family of federal workers - a majority of my siblings worked in the federal govt, and one of them is working for a defense contractor. in Hawaii, the federal govt is probably one of the largest employers on this island, second to tourism. several of my neighbors are federal retirees too.

Quote:
we're envious!!!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-20, 05:53 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
I’m retiring .
CONGRATULATIONS !!! I work for a county government. It is my post-corporate-buyout / ease-into-retirement job. Some tips:

On the resume you submit for the application, match EXACTLY their words. For example, if the job description says "Applicants must have experience in XYZ". You need to state exactly "I have experience in XYZ .... by doing xxxx". Do not count on providing a description of your experience and the HR person understanding your qualifications. Match their words exactly. You may need to tweak your resume & application for each job you apply for, in order to do that.

If your future-supervisor offers you a position, they should make it clear it's contingent. The supervisor may love you and want to hold onto you and may make it seem that you'll be "starting soon", but that's not the case. Once a supervisor makes a decision, then it goes up the chain. Some government agencies have "turn-around" built into their budget - meaning they will leave spots unfilled for 6 months to save money. Like someone mentioned upthread, my experience - I was offered a county government job that I even forgot I had applied for. My current county government job - it was offered to me in July and I didn't get to start til December. So, if you get another part-time job while applying for a government position, don't quit what you have until you get an offer in writing. From HR.

For others looking for government jobs - yes, us baby boomers are waiting for a buy-out. Whether baby boomers quit because of the health risk or get a buy-out, there's going to be a lot of positions available over the next five years.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-20, 11:58 AM  
JeepGirl

I’m 53 and will retire from working in State Gov when I’m 55.5. I can’t wait as my job is over the top coronary and panic attack inducing stressful. I’d LOVE it if they offered a buyout—I’d be gone in a heartbeat! I will have a pension and 403b, and will draw my SS when I’m 62. My health insurance will be paid as that was a perk given at 20 years of employment. I am ever so grateful for these benefits and glad I stuck it out all these years. Just can’t wait to be done!
JeepGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-20, 01:24 PM  
donnamp

JeepGirl -I have similar benefits - I don't have a pension, though, just 403B, but I do get to buy into the health insurance program at a reduced rate when I retire - and that is a huge help - also a bonus for sticking it out for 20+ years. I'm hoping I can hang in until I'm 60, I have a DD who is starting college next year....so would like to have income during that time....but I'm with you - I'm pretty much DONE with the rat race, stressful work environment, etc. I'm 53 as well.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career, career advice, coronavirus, covid-19, job application, retirement