Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-04, 07:13 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corridors
It's an urban legend that the water swirls down a drain in a different direction in the southern hemisphere.

A guy at one of the Universities in Phoenix did a study - I'll google it later and get the reference to the source. Sorry its not something I have remembered other than the conclusion. As somebody who lived in Australia for most of my life, I too believed in the rotational differences for the two hemispheres.

By the way, as I recall, his study said something about water going down drains clockwise or anticlockwise for other more obvious reasons like the design of the drain or the toilet.

Colleen

Edited to add some references: http://www.belleville.com/mld/charlo...er/6441368.htm
http://www.tafkac.org/science/coriol...debunking.html
I'll add my own reference that argues that it does, although the water has to be absolutely still to begine with.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...5615.Es.r.html

We were taught this in science class in school -- of course that was back in the covered wagon days of the 1950s/60s so things change.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-04, 01:57 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I'm tired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine_99
Let us know what you think of the rites, once you have a chance to try them out.
I received the 1992 video yesterday, watched it last night (with less than helpful comments by DH :rolleyes: ) and tried them this morning. The main surprise of the video was how slowly they are done. I guess I had some idea that you had to do them quickly.

I followed along witht the demo section, doing about five each. This was less than an hour ago and I notice some soreness in my lower back. I must have overdone something.

Um, when does one start to notice the energy-enhancing effects? To be honest, I feel more tired than before I did them. I'd be happy to go back to bed right now. I must be in terrible shape!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-04, 04:23 PM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta
The main surprise of the video was how slowly they are done. I guess I had some idea that you had to do them quickly.

I followed along witht the demo section, doing about five each. This was less than an hour ago and I notice some soreness in my lower back. I must have overdone something.

Um, when does one start to notice the energy-enhancing effects? To be honest, I feel more tired than before I did them. I'd be happy to go back to bed right now. I must be in terrible shape!
Alta,

I actually do the rites quite fast, taking about 5 minutes to complete the entire 21 reps of each rite, but I've had two years to practice and perfect my form so you should go slower starting out. Once you get the hang of them you can go faster.

As for the soreness in your lower back, I'm thinking you most likely didn't keep your back flat on the floor during rite #2, bent too far backwards on rite #3, thrust your hips too high on rite #4, or sunk too low (causing your lower back to bow too much) on rite #5. That really narrows it down, doesn't it? Just take it slow and watch your form and breath.

As for results, once you perfect your form :rolleyes: , you should see a difference within two weeks. As you increase the reps of each rite, as well as the frequency, you'll really notice a change in your body. Just don't push it and hurt yourself. It will take time and patience, but you'll get there.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-04, 04:32 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Dena...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena
Just don't push it and hurt yourself. It will take time and patience, but you'll get there.
Thanks very much for the pointers! I think I may have been hungry which is why I felt suddenly tired.

(I think we need a "5T" check-in. Or an "Everything Five Tibetans" Thread"!)

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 04-01-04, 04:48 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
I actually do the rites quite fast, taking about 5 minutes to complete the entire 21 reps of each rite, but I've had two years to practice and perfect my form so you should go slower starting out. Once you get the hang of them you can go faster.
Whoah! that really is fast! It takes me nearly 10 minutes to do 11 reps of each rite (just the five, I don't know the 6th one). I was actually thinking the other day "that's a heck of a long warmup if you're gonna do 21", but apparantly not

I don't know if I want to do them any faster, to tell the truth. As it is, #4 actually still makes me a bit nauseous, and that's first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. But then again, I also like doing sun salutations slowly

Alta, what does it take to get WWWendy to throw one of these threads in the "everything" pile? Can we just ask?

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-04, 06:09 PM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

Quote:
...As for the soreness in your lower back, I'm thinking you most likely didn't keep your back flat on the floor during rite #2, bent too far backwards on rite #3, thrust your hips too high on rite #4, or sunk too low (causing your lower back to bow too much) on rite #5. That really narrows it down, doesn't it?...
My guess would be #2 is causing lower back soreness - you can modify by putting hands under you and/or bending the legs (although you've probably figured that out by yourself ).
Re speed - it takes me about 5-7 minutes to do 15 reps of each, using my pushup bars for #4 & #5. Kundalini yoga pace. Does the video have both a slow demonstration section & a faster practice version?
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-04, 07:42 PM  
Lori M
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC
I'll add my own reference that argues that it does, although the water has to be absolutely still to begine with.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...5615.Es.r.html

We were taught this in science class in school -- of course that was back in the covered wagon days of the 1950s/60s so things change.
Sharon I too remember my science class and being taugh the same thing. OF course that was shortly after the first automobile was road worthy. LOL! I do remember this though.
Old 04-01-04, 07:46 PM  
Lori M
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta
Thanks very much for the pointers! I think I may have been hungry which is why I felt suddenly tired.

(I think we need a "5T" check-in. Or an "Everything Five Tibetans" Thread"!)
It takes me 13 minutes to do 9 reps. I do them slowish. I usually have drank a large amount of water buy the time I do my 5 T's (around 6:25 a.m) after my morning gruelling routine. DOing them slowly stops the water in my belly from sloshing about and making strange and unsettling noises.

Once, you've done them for a bit you will realise the benefits as far as increased energy. I do.
Old 04-01-04, 07:47 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Sophie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie
Alta, what does it take to get WWWendy to throw one of these threads in the "everything" pile? Can we just ask?
I think that someone has to actually put the thread together. Shall I give it a shot?

EDITED TO ADD: I mean, I could get it started and those with more experience can add to it. So far, most of my input woud be links to other sites!

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 04-02-04, 05:38 AM  
spacecandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine_99
Sophie, I guess it's just down to you then!

I'm very curious about qi gong. I've had great results with acupuncture and many acupuncturists it seems swear by qi gong. And now my neighbour's raving about it. It would be interesting to compare the two. But I've bought so many videos I'm trying to resist the urge to obtain yet another one. We'll see how long I can resist! :rolleyes:
Can I throw my bid in to watch your video after Sophie? I tried to pm you.
spacecandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 tibetan rites, five tibetans, tibetans