Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-04, 08:44 PM  
Lori M
VF Supporter

I do them in the morning. On and empty stomach. LOL! Sophie! I remember when you did them in the evening or afternoon was it. ME to and the nausea was pretty spectacular along with not having a good sleep that night. :rolleyes:

I still do Rite #4 on my knuckles. I suppose now that I have some 10 lb hex weights I could use those in place of pushup bars. Hmmm?
Old 03-24-04, 09:31 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori M
I do them in the morning. On and empty stomach. LOL! Sophie! I remember when you did them in the evening or afternoon was it. ME to and the nausea was pretty spectacular along with not having a good sleep that night. :rolleyes:
Well, I've flipped through the book that Alta linked to and I did notice he says you can do them in the evening. Huh. Maybe if you're really skinny and fit and didn't just have roast beef for dinner?

I just know that me + Tibetans + evening is a narrowly averted ride on the woof machine.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-04, 10:58 PM  
hounddog

Thanks!

for all your responses. I'm only a casual yoga practitioner, but really like it. I found Kilham's book in a bookstore (remember them?) recently and I really like both his writing style and his approach to the discipline. Reading about your experiences is very encouraging. I'm not an a.m. exerciser, but would like something quick to wake me up and get me focused. I definitely won't be trying them on a full stomach.

I haven't figured out all the bells and whistles on this latest incarnation of the forum, but thanks so much again!

--Ann
hounddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-04, 11:21 PM  
CosmicCritter

Thanks Faux for all those links. I appreciate it very much.

The Firm Workouts Forever
CosmicCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-04, 06:49 AM  
Lori M
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie
Well, I've flipped through the book that Alta linked to and I did notice he says you can do them in the evening. Huh. Maybe if you're really skinny and fit and didn't just have roast beef for dinner?

I just know that me + Tibetans + evening is a narrowly averted ride on the woof machine.
I won't even do them in the afternoon. That's when i did them and it was not good. Thanks I'll be sticking to the morning. I must go and look at all those links.
Old 03-26-04, 12:53 PM  
miso

I did these last year for about 4 months and found them really helpful-giving me more energy, better sleep, noticeably better mood. But then I stopped of course . . . now i'm thinking i should start them again! --Judy
miso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-04, 04:23 PM  
SpiritYogi

I do the Five Tibetans every single morning, right before my daily workout. It not only wakes me up and energizes me, but it serves as a warmup since it stretches and loosenes up all not only my muscles, but my entire body and mind.

I've found that I can lift heavier weights and take shorter rest periods since incorporating the Five Tibetans into my morning pre-workout routine. Just make sure you're keeping proper form and breathing right or you're liable to either (1) hurt yourself, or (2) not reap the full benefits if practicing correctly. Namaste.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-04, 05:04 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena
I do the Five Tibetans every single morning, right before my daily workout. It not only wakes me up and energizes me, but it serves as a warmup since it stretches and loosenes up all not only my muscles, but my entire body and mind.
Dena, you're one of the people I was thinking of. Sorry I spelled your name wrong!

Just curious - how many reps of the exercises do you do when you are using them for a warmup? It's interesting that you are energized to get more out of your lifting using them as a warmup. Sounds like a good reason to keep doing them

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-04, 06:21 PM  
Katherine_99

I do the rites (21) in the mornings and usually follow with either yoga or another workout, depending on how much time I have. I couldn't imagine doing them any other time of the day, especially the first rite which is so energizing. Years ago I just did the first rite, which in itself made me feel terrific. Then I saw one of the videos and started doing the rest.

It's hard to say what difference doing all of them has made since I do other things as well, like the yoga. But occasionally when I slip and don't do them for a while I feel a noticeable difference. So now I'm trying to be more disciplined about doing them.

One thing to note, which I didn't realize until just recently... the direction you spin for the first rite apparently depends on where in the world you are (literally)! Clockwise in the northern hemisphere, and anti-clockwise in the southern hemisphere. Go figure.

Here are links for the tapes (which you only need to see once or twice to make sure your form is correct)...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=video

and

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=1B7T0SLSCVS4L
Katherine_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-04, 11:53 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

The "5T" videos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine_99
Here are links for the tapes (which you only need to see once or twice to make sure your form is correct)..
Thanks, Katherine! I remember searching Amazon for "5T" videos and not finding them. I learn stuff better from videos than from books...

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 tibetan rites, five tibetans, tibetans