Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-20, 07:12 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Checking in

As the weekend gets away from me!!!

Helen: Thank you for the tabata information. I knew it was important, wasn't sure why. Try to get it in at least once a week. Maybe not tabata per se, but at least plenty of huffing and puffing! My challenges do that on their own, so I just have to follow the rides and when I'm not doing them, I try to throw in a max ride or tabata because I KNOW it's good for me. Also why running intervals is the same principle and I KNOW it's good for me. I like the "Brainpower" part.

Honey: Welcome!!! Share some info if you'd like (or not - always your decision.) We always love when new people join (but I see not new to VF!) Cuz it ignites some passion for (sometimes) new or not-so-new workouts that may be mentioned. We are a wonderful little group.

Pam: Wow ... sounds like the cure is worse then the PF . I sure hope it helps you. I had mine forEVER. (or at least it seemed that way). I'm of the "I will never go barefoot again in my life" ilk. Although, that's not entirely true. I do occasionally. (I used to ALWAYS be barefoot).

Lili: Yes. We were out pokemon hunting. Brother came up for a special raid (EX raid - for a pokemon only available via an invite from a raid previously done at the gym and not everyone gets them. We traded invites so we each had 2 EX raid passes. . . all greek, I know. I'll spare you the rest.) So inbetween raids, I told him I had to walk at the park for a mile. So off we went. It was windy, it was cold, but I got my mile in!! And made it back to the AR gym for the EX raid. AND caught the Regigigis. They just came out with more of Gen 5 too, so it's new pokes for all who go hunting.

Mena (and everyone!): YEP !!! The Peloton was a wonderful investment for me. I love it and I LOOK forward to doing the workouts (most days), the challenges, the friends I've made, the new instructors, the rides, I could go on and on and on . Oh wait! I usually do! :: slaps hand to forehead emoji ::

on to me, me and all me ....

Podcasts continue and i"m doing well with them. I listened to another one yesterday so I think I'm up to 5/10. I'll have to double check that.

1/10/2020: This was kind of a recovery day since yesterday was the tabata day! 5k Race Prep on the treadmill ( 2 miles) a Peloton workout. It was actually good and I have it bookmarked for another time. It wasn't too bad as far as out of breath, killing me with intervals and very encouraging. It was laddered (if I remember correctly) and the run portions were never more than 2 minutes. Starting out at 30 seconds. Definitely bookmarked and I hope to go back to it to see/watch improvement as time goes on.

1/11/2020: 1.5 mile walk on the treadmill listening to a podcast. Then moved on to the Peloton with Sam Yo's 45 minute interval & Arms workout, then did Christine's 30 minute Boomer ride from 2016 (fun to see how the instructor has evolved) all set to Phil Collins/Peter Gabriel/Genesis music. Definite keeper, followed with 10 minute cool down ride with Christine and a stretch with Matt. Awesome workout.

So there we have it.

8 days until the new Challenge begins. It's supposed to work on improving our FTP. (I'll admit, that makes me a bit nervous. But I'm sure I'll be fine.) Then it will be even MORE peloton, peloton, peloton!!!

Make it a great day.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-20, 04:53 AM  
Helen

Jan 13/31
2020 13/366
Mon., 13th of Jan.
Cathe - Rhythmic Step, 8", with buddy (on 6" then 4") 62min
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-20, 05:28 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Monday

Quick check in:

1/12/2020: 2.8 miles on the Elliptical to a podcast. (took about 40 minutes) plus Sundays w/Love (Peloton w/Ally Love - today's ride's virtue was: BE BOLD!!) + a stretch and a small walk at the park. The temps were in the 60s and I wanted to take advantage of the sunshine and outdoor air before we get socked again with old man winter as it's going to return, I'm sure!!!

Helen: you're one day ahead of me. Haven't decided what today's workout will be.

12/31 workouts
12/366
12/31 mile a day
6/10 podcasts (I think)

almost halfway there friends! We can do this.

Make it a great day!
Cleda
Old 01-13-20, 10:13 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Welcome Honey! We always like to see new faces!
Helen - thanks for the Tabata information! Having dealt with my father and his Alzheimer's, I'm always looking for ways to keep my brain functioning.
Cleda - good job with the daily walks and workouts!
Pam - you are smart to work within your limitations right now.

My PF story: I had a boot that I used in the evening, couldn't manage sleeping with it, and a few shots in the heel. Then I broke my collarbone and the PF disappeared! Once the shoulder healed the PF was back. At that point I was so used to sleeping in one position from the collarbone issue that I was able to sleep with the boot and it fixed it! No problems since then!

1/12 - easy day, long dog walk in our Spring like weather! About 4 miles.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-20, 05:46 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Gettin' there

Figure I better check in quick and then I can get on about my day. Not feeling the love this a.m. but I will. Nothing a good workout won't cure.

Lili: We had unusually warm temps over the weekend also. I told dh we HAD to get to the park as old man winter will come back with a vengeance (I hear snow is in the forecast for Sat?!? ) We know how I love the warmth and sunshine. your long walk sounds perfect!!!!

1/13/2020:
5k Race prep on the treadmill. (Peloton 30 minute workout - with running and jogging intervals in it.) This is FAST becoming a favorite. No dread factor, go at my own pace and dare I say that yesterday I felt like I was faster and improving? Almost to the point of thinking, "gee - I should do this 3x a week and see how I improve." Yesterday was time 2! Stay tuned, ya never know. (I also want to see what other "beginner" treadmill runs Peloton offers. But for me? This is a keeper.) SO that got me to my 1 mile. and then some! Followed up with Ally Love's 20 minute feel good ride and a stretch. Perfect workout.

Technical difficulties with my heart rate monitor on the peloton.. This does happen occasionally. The other on screen metrics work. But not the hr monitor. Changed the battery, still doesn't work. Works with the app on the treadmill. (then I have to disconnect the blue tooth, close the app... Hey wait - maybe I didn't close the app? on the ipad. Maybe I just solved my issue... I'll have to check). Anyway ...

13/13 January
13/13 A mile+ a day
13/366
6/10 Podcasts
1/2 way through my recent read

Make it a great day.
Waves to all.
Cleda
Old 01-14-20, 01:44 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

Checking in

Welcome, Honey!

My only exercise has been walking & poop monitoring.

Ursella is doing great. She's probably walking more than most dogs, but then again, she's a country dog & used to trails & hills. She goes back for a re-check tomorrow & to get her staples out. Then no more cone of shame. We only put it on her at night & when we're not home. She's been a very good girl. We'll also hear about her pathology report. Fingers crossed!

Everyone makes me feel like a sloth, but I am losing weight.

Carry on exercise queens!
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-20, 07:36 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Kay - glad to hear that Ur is doing better. Let's hope the pathology report concurs.
Cleda - our weekend weather was crazy, but delightful! The parking lot to the reservoir & playground was overflowing.

1/13 - more Les Mills, the beginner Sh'Bam class. There was way too much break down and not enough movement for me, so I also did Leslie's 2 Mile with Hand Weights (never remember the titles).
1/14 - more Les Mills, the beginner CXWORX. Once again, too much instruction and not enough DOING. I should probably just jump in with the rest of the different classes and give up on the instructions. I also did Jessica's 1 Mile Buns, Hips & Thighs.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-20, 01:15 AM  
Helen

Jan 14/31
2020 14/366
sadly, it was only a dog walk 50min
mentally, calling it a TURD

KAY
WONDERFUL news about Ur.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-20, 01:21 AM  
honey

Good to see everyone doing so well on the challenge. KayB, here’s to happy news from pathology.

Cleda suggested I do a quick intro and here it is. Without exaggeration, when I started to try to get healthy fitness videos changed my life. I was too ashamed of my body to go to a gym and Kathy Smith, The Firm, Cathe, and Christi Taylor brought it to my house. When I stopped using home workouts my fitness slipped a lot. Of course there was also a cross country move, some marathons (including one where I met my husband), career, the general business of adulting.

A few weeks ago I decided that I was going back to videos. Right now, I mostly use Beachbody on Demand because I travel for work and it’s portable. It’s not perfect, and I don’t support their MLM business model, but I do enjoy the workouts.

I’m still on target for every day in January. Today was a travel day, and I did some time on the treadmill at the hotel gym followed by One of the stretch workouts from the Morning Meltdown series.
honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-20, 05:40 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

And Honey ...

You've found a happy home for your check in!!!

Thanks for sharing!!! .... We're all old timers here (as in the forum - not age or check in!!!) lol I don't want ANY of us to seem intimidating and we're truly happy you found us !!!

I started with home workouts 100 years ago because it's convenient, I was a SAHM and I didn't want to wait at the gym for equipment. If I want to workout out at 2 a.m. or 4 a.m., I can have at it without having to spend 20-40 mins. travel time just to get to a gym. (Besides, almost 40 years ago? We were a one car family) There's more, I'm sure! but that explanation works for now.

Anyway ..

HELEN !!! STOP that. it is NOT a turd. you were walking for 50 minutes? I say COUNT IT! You may not be happy with it, but it counts. MOVE ON!

Me? let's see ~ Not as much yesterday, but I'm ok with that. I work out hard enough on some days that down days ARE allowed. and it all counts:

1/14/2020: 1.5 miles on the Elliptical listening to a podcast. 10 minutes of meditation after work. (yep! fell alseep?!? ) good grief.

Ok, off to hit the tread or bike or both.
Make it a great day!
Cleda