Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-16, 06:50 AM  
bubbles76

Looking for a DVD Player

So my Samsung dvd player, that I bought not too long ago, refuses to work now. After several firmware updates, this last one gave me an error message . Apparently I have to download some file. I've been able to download the updates from the internet automatically before, but now it says I must do it using a USB. After surfing the net for some insight into this error, it says this is usually the kiss of death. Meaning, you have to take it in to a service center. Since the cost and hassle of that is more than the cost of the dvd player, I'm looking to buy another one. One that isn't smart, or at least isn't known to just stop working after firmware updates.

Maybe my actions are drastic, but it should not be this serious with electronics Any ideas for a good dvd player?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-16, 07:10 AM  
sherry7899

We have gotten SONY Dvd players from.Walmart for $35 that have worked fine. I will try to post a link or model number later.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-16, 07:18 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
So my Samsung dvd player, that I bought not too long ago, refuses to work now. After several firmware updates, this last one gave me an error message . Apparently I have to download some file. I've been able to download the updates from the internet automatically before, but now it says I must do it using a USB. After surfing the net for some insight into this error, it says this is usually the kiss of death. Meaning, you have to take it in to a service center. Since the cost and hassle of that is more than the cost of the dvd player, I'm looking to buy another one. One that isn't smart, or at least isn't known to just stop working after firmware updates.

Maybe my actions are drastic, but it should not be this serious with electronics Any ideas for a good dvd player?
I have a Sony from about 8 years ago - knock on wood I'm still going strong with it.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-16, 07:23 AM  
PhyllisG

I have a Phillips region less that I bought at Best Buy for $30 5 years ago. So far so good. I also have a very old Sony that I haven't used for 3 years but when I used it last week, it worked fine. I mention it because I was so surprised.
PhyllisG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-16, 08:16 AM  
BunnyHop

We have a bunch of Sony DVPSR210P dvd players that I got at walmart. Seem to be doing well. They come with the red/white/yellow connectors that work with the tvs we've had for years. (Doesn't have ethernet or HDMI type connectors, guess it's not that modern. Connecting to the internet? Not sure how that could happen.)
Old 09-26-16, 09:51 AM  
sherry7899

I think Anna uses the same SONY players that we have.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-16, 11:07 AM  
jusca

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I have a Phillips region less that I bought at Best Buy for $30 5 years ago. So far so good. I also have a very old Sony that I haven't used for 3 years but when I used it last week, it worked fine. I mention it because I was so surprised.

I have a similar Philips of the same age and regionless features and it's still going strong too.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-16, 11:15 AM  
bubbles76

Amazing how nobody is suggesting Samsung lol! And my other player is actually a Sony. Should have went with my gut. Keep the suggestions coming. May need to make a run to Target or Walmart.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-16, 11:19 AM  
horsemom2

I bought a LG DP 132 at Walmart which I love because it plays Avi (DivX) files. I can easily convert video files downloaded from the internet or ripped from dvd into avi format which makes these files easier to access as data files than when being part of an authored movie dvd. I also edit video files and can burn up to 4.2 gigs of these files to dvdr on a laptop in under 10 minutes. I can play these files through the LG 132 or on a laptop and can easily copy any of the files from a dvdr to my laptop hard drive. Also have the option of using a USB flash drive instead of dvdr but I believe the format must still be Avi and SD size.

However, I have only used this model with an old tube TV and have no idea how its quality would be on a HD TV with just the red, yellow, white cable.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-DVD-PL...97342/33396346

(It claims to have USB direct recording but I never tried anything through the USB and have read it just records CDs, not video. It does supposedly playback video through the USB but is limited to a 32Gig flash drive.)
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-16, 01:05 PM  
SeekingWorkouts

I'm also happy with my Sony! I got it in March of either 2005 or 2006 and have never had any problems. It even plays CDs, too.
SeekingWorkouts is offline   Reply With Quote