Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-27-14, 01:07 PM  
14yrbeliever

Any other clinically obese people on here?

I used to be smaller (and larger and smaller and larger and smaller) and now I'm at my highest weight and trying to get BACK INTO (as in I'm not starting from never working out) exercise to help (with diet) me lose weight.

I'm 5'9" and 290 pounds--a nightmare for me. I've had every eating disorder known since I was about 8 yrs old, but now I just eat too much. I find that when I work out regularly, I eat better just by association.

I don't want to have bariatric surgery--I want to do this naturally.

I would love to have a check in with other obese people who are either already fit or who are trying to get back into better shape. I know (from my own experience) that you don't have to be skinny to be in shape, so I don't mean to imply that obese people cannot already be regular, high-level exercisers.

I just need some support. Maybe VF isn't the right place for this kind of support? Well, I thought it was worth a try.

This post was difficult to write, so please be gentle.
14yrbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-14, 01:33 PM  
Kitten

Hi 14yearbeliever!
First off I'm sending hugs and happy thoughts your way.
Second, I started back not too long ago overweight. I'm like you in a way I find if I get up and workout right away, my whole day goes better. I'm more productive and I eat better. I'd be happy to support you through this. If you would like there is a restarter check-in. Anything you need, I'll help pm me if you'd like.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-14, 01:41 PM  
sunday

I was, just a few years ago, definitely obese at 220 and 5-9. I started my weight loss during menopause and lost more than 80 pounds using just WW and light fusion workouts and have kept it off.

Just sending you hugs and positive thoughts that it IS possible to lose the weight, completely naturally, at any age. Additionally, a lady on one of my checkins lost 1/2 of her body weight, I think about 150 pounds, also completely naturally.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-14, 01:41 PM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

Hi!

I believe I fit into the morbidly obese category (although I sure don't FEEL like like it )

I'm 5'6" and weigh 220 right now.

I'm also just getting back into working out (about a month now) after about a year off, I think. I've been on again off again for years, even within the last five years maintaining a whole year of morning workouts. (Now I'm doing lunchtime workouts, because I just can't handle getting up earlier and decided to quit torturing myself.)

I'm finding that a LOT of the strength and endurance I had gained is coming back rather quickly. I hope it goes that way for you - it can be very motivating. A month ago, I was doing Jessica Smith youtube videos that were under 20 min - today, I did Powerstrike 6 with Ilaria. And I did pretty good! I had to do the stop-stand-gasp-gasp-stare combo a few times, but I kept up more than I thought I would.

What kind of workouts are you into? Besides kickboxing, I'm doing Sin6 and Slim Series right now, and really enjoying that.

I'm also making some big eating changes, and starting to track food again.

I'd love to be part of a check in, or would be totally happy to PM back and forth, whatever you think you need. I wouldn't mind some moral support and motivation either!

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-14, 01:47 PM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I was, just a few years ago, definitely obese at 220 and 5-9. I started my weight loss during menopause and lost more than 80 pounds using just WW and light fusion workouts and have kept it off.

Deana - you're always so motivating and inspirational for me, I love it when you show up in threads. Hearing about a lot of 20-somethings getting their acts together and losing weight is more depressing to me than motivating (not on VF), and it's nice to see someone more my own age able to do it.

(This is one of the things I like about VF - a LOT of people my age or older)

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-14, 01:50 PM  
sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
Deana - you're always so motivating and inspirational for me, I love it when you show up in threads. Hearing about a lot of 20-somethings getting their acts together and losing weight is more depressing to me than motivating (not on VF), and it's nice to see someone more my own age able to do it.

(This is one of the things I like about VF - a LOT of people my age or older)
Thank you Sassy! I am 49 and started the weight loss at 44, just as I was entering meno. I just like to point out that it is totally possible to lose this dreaded fat no matter what age. For me, it's really about the diet. I don't believe in heavy weights or killing myself with workouts. I just used lots of Ellen, barre, fusion, and stuff like that. Once I reached my goal I enrolled in yoga teacher training - Ashtanga style - and had plenty of strength to make it through even though I was the oldest in class, and older than my instructor!
Old 05-27-14, 02:02 PM  
14yrbeliever

Thank you for your motivating replies, Kitten, Sassy, and Sunday!

Sunday--I'm 43 right now, so it is especially inspiring to hear that you lost the weight when you were my age and not 19. Nothing against 19 yr olds!

I think I just needed to hear from others who are in/were in the same boat that it IS possible to lose the weight naturally (with diet and exercise).

One of the many drawbacks of being so large is that everything hurts. Makes it really hard to be motivated to get up and workout. However, I like Ellen Barrett's workouts and also the Powerfit workouts, along with Leslie walking dvds, so I have gentle workouts to choose from. I used to love Body Pump but that is too much for me right now, so that will have to wait.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I just felt like I needed to hear that all was not lost and that I have hope for losing this weight without killing myself with hardcore exercise dvds (vs. gentler ones I mentioned above). Thanks for sharing that, Sunday.

Well, onward and downward (scale-wise), I hope!
14yrbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-14, 02:05 PM  
Sandrine

Hi!
I believe you'll find that vf is exactly the right place to come for encouragement, because many of us have done the smaller and larger and smaller and larger thing, clinically obese or not!

It took a lot of courage for you to post, and I hope you will find exactly what you are seeking here; many of us are seeking the same.

I would also encourage you to think in terms of healthy eating and movement, because weight loss will follow. So will more energy and better general health! I've never been able to "diet". Really--it just makes me focus too much on foods and what I can't have. But I am able to really look at my portions and see what I'm actually consuming (and be shocked at some of the amounts!), and that made a big difference in weight loss for me, even at the ripe, old, menopausal age of 52. I applaud you for not going straight for the surgery; the "natural" way is always worth a shot. Cheaper and less invasive, too!

I'll join the others in sending hugs and encouragement; now find some workouts you like and keep us posted!
Sandrine
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-14, 02:10 PM  
sherry7899

I won't post my weight, but I'd be glad to join a check in. We used to have one called "Fit at Any Size" but almost everyone from it except me and one other VF'er seems to have disappeared from VF.

I'm far from 19-I just turned 45 this year, so you are in good company

Ten years ago I lost sixty pounds doing mainly Leslie Sansone, Tamilee Webb and watching what I ate. I did not use any commercial diet programs.
Unfortunately, I gained it all back...sigh...

Good luck on your journey-

Hugs,
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-14, 02:10 PM  
sunday

Oh, also wanted to add something! I usually don't discuss it, but I, too, suffered from eating disorders. I was both anorexic and bulimic as a teen, and then became a compulsive eater. I understand how horrible those things are!

One thing I did when I first started was throw out all my scales. I remember that I weighed initially, then put all three scales in a trash bag and threw them away. I could tell I was losing by my clothes, especially when I kept having to buy new, smaller sizes. Then when I went to the doctor yearly I weighed. After about two years, I finally bought another scale and began to weigh once a month, or even less since I was out of the habit. I think I got the scale again when I was about 20 pounds to my goal.

Tags
obesity, overweight