Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-11, 10:04 PM  
lisarah

Doorway pull-up bar

Does anyone have one of those re-movable pull-up bars for your doorway? I would like it to be movable b/c I work out in 2 different rooms. I see a few different ones on Amazon. Any brand recommendations or brands not recommended are appreciated. TIA!

Do or do not...there is no try. ~Yoda

Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world. ~Miyamoto Musashi

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
lisarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-11, 11:03 PM  
Lucysql
VF Supporter

Door Gym brand!

Have one, DH and I both use it. One of our best-ever fitness purchases.

Works just as advertised, feels very stable and amazingly, really doesn't mess up the woodwork around the door!

Ours is the Door Gym brand. We got it in 2007 at www.KarateDepot.com (don't know if they still have the best price or not).

It's held up extremely well - still looks new.
Lucysql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 12:46 AM  
Cassy

I just brought a CAP one for $10 at TJ Maxx but I haven't set it up yet.
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 04:09 AM  
topfitmama

I have one I bought to use as my barre when I do Fluidity. It feels very sturdy and the kids like to hang from it and swing on it too.
This is the one I have http://www.sport-tiedje.co.uk/en/Ket...r-bar-7900-000
I bought it because the rubber ends on it are white. Reviewers said that black rubber ends can leave ugly marks in your door frame.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 06:24 AM  
Kyra

I also have a door gym. I probably got it from amazon and have had it for at least five years, so I'm not sure about current pricing. It works as advertised. If I had it to do over again I might buy a different type, as the parallel grip bars intersect the main bar at what just happens to be my natural overhead grip width - meaning I'm always doing what feels like a narrow grip or a wide grip variation. That's not going to be true for everyone but it's something to consider. I'd have preferred a plain straight bar but my doorframes are metal so I had to go with an over the door model.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 06:42 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
I'd have preferred a plain straight bar but my doorframes are metal so I had to go with an over the door model.
My doors are metal too, and the straight bar with rubber ends works fine in them.

Another thing to consider (which I didn't do!), measure the width of your door frame to make sure the bar will fit
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 06:54 AM  
Kyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
My doors are metal too, and the straight bar with rubber ends works fine in them.
I'm not that trusting! Although I suppose I am remembering the straight bar I had as a kid, and perhaps chin-up bar technology has improved.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-11, 12:48 PM  
lisarah

forgot to say thanks for the info all. I ordered one from amazon & hopefully it'll work out well!

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
Old 11-18-11, 12:49 PM  
lisarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
I also have a door gym. I probably got it from amazon and have had it for at least five years, so I'm not sure about current pricing. It works as advertised. If I had it to do over again I might buy a different type, as the parallel grip bars intersect the main bar at what just happens to be my natural overhead grip width - meaning I'm always doing what feels like a narrow grip or a wide grip variation. That's not going to be true for everyone but it's something to consider. I'd have preferred a plain straight bar but my doorframes are metal so I had to go with an over the door model.
I noticed that on some of the models so i ordered a deluxe one with multiple places to grip - hoping that will help. thanks

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology