Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-11, 11:56 AM  
andtckrtoo

Food for thought, so to speak

I was reading an article where a study was being held to see if a certain diet would help people with cancer shrink tumors. What the diet is, is relevant to this conversation, so I'm not going to get into it.

One of the quotes (edited to skip mentioning specific foods but otherwise intact) was: "We didn't expect this to be such a big problem, but a considerable number of patients left the study because they were unable or unwilling to renounce ...."

Now, keep in mind that there has been ample evidence over the years that a particular diet would help, so this was not an out-of-the-blue study. It was an attempt to back up antidotal evidence.

That got me to thinking. If I were in danger of dying from cancer, would I be willing to give up whatever necessary in order to survive? I have to say yes, but fortunately, at this time, that will power has never been called into service. I can totally understand the idea of, "Well, I'm dying so I may as well really enjoy the time I have left." It just seems to me (and again, I've not been diagnosed, so it's conjecture from my stand point) that giving up X,Y and Z would be fairly easy as all I would have to do is think about the alternative.

What are your thoughts?
Old 05-15-11, 12:15 PM  
iheartsts

This is a very interesting topic. Food is such a drug for some people, and willpower is so hard to achieve and stick with sometimes, so I'm not surprised at the results. I'd like to think if I were in that position, I'd do everything I could to raise my chances of survival, but fortunately I've never had to be in that position.

I have a few health issues that improve if I stay away from certain food groups, but sometimes I just have to have x, y, or z, and I pay for it later. I know I shouldn't have it, but I do anyways. Why? I don't know.... Instant gratification? No willpower? I get so mad at myself sometimes....

Even regarding exercising...we all know we're healthier if we work out, but sometimes we don't.

I don't know what the answer is, but I'll enjoy reading the discussion!
Old 05-15-11, 12:31 PM  
bearcatfan

There are lung cancer patients who still smoke, so who knows.
Old 05-15-11, 12:32 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
One of the quotes (edited to skip mentioning specific foods but otherwise intact) was: "We didn't expect this to be such a big problem, but a considerable number of patients left the study because they were unable or unwilling to renounce ...."
Since this article was brought up in the sugar thread we know what was being referred to here.

Between both threads I'm motivated to stop TODAY!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 12:46 PM  
neatski

The problem is that it is so darn difficult to eat low carb in a society in which the food pyramid recommends 6-11 servings of grains/starches a day and fat is villified. Conventional medicine doesn't support the notion that low carb diets can help treat cancer (although the scientific evidence in support of such dietary changes is extremely compelling IMO), so it's not taken seriously. That, and the nutritious food that is necessary to provide psychological fulfillment on a low carb diet is more expensive and not as easily available. In contrast, people are surrounded by high carb food choices. Going low carb requires more than a change in eating, it requires a complete lifestyle overhaul.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 12:48 PM  
Amazon

Christine, what really strikes me about that study is that you don't randomly get placed in that study willy-nilly. You had to apply to enter into it. You had to be explained what was expected of you, and you had to agree.

Even though you may be considered a "hopeless cause" by the medical profession, you still don't want to die, so you obviously signed up to participate in this study because it might help.

And then somehow you decide you can't stop eating chocolate?

That, to me, equals addiction. Like Bearcatfan says, some lung cancer patients still smoke, and when we hear of them we think: they're addicted to nicotine! Even in the face of death!
Amazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 12:54 PM  
jplain

Quote:
If I were in danger of dying from cancer, would I be willing to give up whatever necessary in order to survive? I have to say yes, but fortunately, at this time, that will power has never been called into service.
Absolutely, yes, I could do it. I know I could because a few years ago I had to eliminate a very large number of foods from my diet for the benefit of my breastfeeding child.

Now that I've done it I realize that it is no big deal. Even on a complete elimination diet I found that I could manage just fine, as long as I focused on cultivating a positive attitude and the support of my family and friends.

What surprised me most was that the hard part wasn't changing what I ate. The hard part was learning how to handle socializing that includes food. (In other words, almost all social interactions.) I had to figure out how not to starve, and I had to set boundaries with those who either didn't understand or didn't respect our nutritional needs.
jplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 01:05 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

Just to throw another angle on this--my husband has Renal failure. he can only drink 32 fl oz. of anything. can you imagine only being able to drink that much? i so admire how he manages it. he knows if he drinks more he will have consequences. Plus the renal diet really limits what he can eat. I guess it all depends on the person. my husband is amazing and I admire him every day for what he faces. He does what is good for his body. He has given up so much in his life. (he also has cancer) I truly admire and support him. If you have your health, you truly are blessed.

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 01:09 PM  
sherry7899

Julie, sending hugs and prayers to you and your husband

Please take care-
Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 01:11 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

thanks Sherry. i'm a bit on the emotional side lately. i think i need some sunny days.

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allergies, obesity