Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-04, 04:49 PM  
hounddog

Rite #4

Two weeks into practice, I'm up to 21 spins and ten reps of everything else. This is definitely a great way to wake up in the morning, and I find myself proselytizing to everyone I know. I feel clearer and more energetic.

However, rite #4 is tough because when I come back to starting position, my arms aren't long enough to keep me from dragging my butt along the floor and slouching my back. What do you think about using blocks or push-up handlebars here? The only other alternative would be placing my hands further back to start with, but that is recommended against by Kilham who insists that you need to have hands by hips at the start.

Ten reps of #4 has certainly become a novel way to remove PJ bottoms in the morning.

TIA

--Ann
hounddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-04, 05:11 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddog
However, rite #4 is tough because when I come back to starting position, my arms aren't long enough to keep me from dragging my butt along the floor and slouching my back. What do you think about using blocks or push-up handlebars here? The only other alternative would be placing my hands further back to start with, but that is recommended against by Kilham who insists that you need to have hands by hips at the start.

Ten reps of #4 has certainly become a novel way to remove PJ bottoms in the morning.
--Ann
Yes!! I have the exact same problem!

My butt basically does drag on the floor. I don't do this one on a sticky yoga mat, I do it on carpet for the scootability. I do keep my hands beside my hips to start, and come to full staff and full table in between. It does get easier with practice.

I think some people here have used hex dumbells or their fists because of wrist issues and it's worked fine for them...hopefully they can pop in to confirm.

BTW, I have fallen off the Tibetans yet AGAIN, a week long Easter school break had considerably disrupted my morning routine. I've been stuck on 11-13 reps forever it seems.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-04, 05:57 AM  
Lori M
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddog
Two weeks into practice, I'm up to 21 spins and ten reps of everything else. This is definitely a great way to wake up in the morning, and I find myself proselytizing to everyone I know. I feel clearer and more energetic.

TIA

--Ann
I use hex dumbells. I have the same problem as you plus I have wrist issues. The dumbells work very well. Also, like Sophie, I am taking forever to get to 21. I'm at 13 reps now. We started doing these in February some time if I'm not mistaken. Its been quite a while anyway. I have to say that by progressing slowing with them I've been able to guage the smallest changes the rites are making in me. That has been kind of interesting.

Cheers!
Old 05-31-04, 12:20 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hey everyone,

I finally started the rites this past week! I've been doing 3 reps of each since last Monday; I'll move up to 5 today. Can't say I've noticed any changes so far--it didn't help that I've had a very stiff neck from yard work for the last few days.

One thing that I've noticed is that when lifting up into rite #4, my legs feel very tight, almost like they're going to cramp on me. Does this happen to anyone else? Also, I'm wondering if I should be doing a full 21 reps of rite #1 and then gradually increase the other four as Ann is doing--any thoughts?

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-04, 01:18 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

This thread was getting a bit long, so I started a new one. Beth has re-posted her question there.

http://69.93.245.62/forum/showthread...418#post383418

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 tibetan rites, five tibetans, tibetans