Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-20, 09:22 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I don't understand why stores don't put limits on items like this. 2 per customer or something like that. With the toilet paper too. Seems like a simple solution. I'm sure some people will just go back several times but it will take a little longer for them to clear out the shelves at least.
Yes the costco by me had signs by the rubbing alcohol and gloves that had a limit of 2 per customer. I was there on Thursday and got some gloves but they were out of T.P. and rubbing alcohol. I haven't left my house since my Thursday outing other than walking the dog every day and walking myself 6 miles on Sunday. My friend sent me this and it made a big impression:
https://www.ariadnelabs.org/resource...ot-a-snow-day/
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-20, 09:31 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
All private and public schools in my state will be closed. Restaurants dine in will be closed but I think drive thru and pick up will be available. My local library is closed. I placed an online order for groceries but no pick up time available for tomorrow. I just hope they'll have everything I need Tuesday.
I placed a grocery order on Saturday and couldn't get a pickup until Wednesday. Normally I can get on one Sunday or Monday. Last week an order placed on Sat could be picked up on Tuesday. Anyway I usually pick "pay at store" and I did this time but then I went back to add items to my order and I selected "pay now" and entered my card info. This way I don't have to hand my card to the person bringing me the groceries. Better for both of us.
The store website said that any delivery order would be left at your door.
These people who work in retail are at risk. My sister works at REI Co-op and was told last night that all their stores are closing for 2 weeks and everyone is getting paid and benefits at that time.
Old 03-16-20, 09:44 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

To relieve stress DD and I walk the dog every day together. Saturday she told me that some researchers in Canada isolated and replicated the corona virus which is a key breakthrough in creating a vaccine. She said "that's what happens when you cancel hockey!"
Old 03-17-20, 02:12 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
All my extended family lives in northern Italy. They are all fine so far but I'm following a non-sensationalized daily blog of life under lockdown and it is sobering, even chilling in some instances. This was her comment on the news from Bergamo:
"Bergamo is almost broken in half. Eulogies on today's newspaper covered 11 pages, with five times the usual amount of departures. And this comes with the saddest fact that there's not enough space to store the bodies of the departed (not to mention giving them a proper burial). For this reason, some churches were transformed into chambers to host the bodies."
Serious times, and many European nations are about to follow suit with their own lockdowns. This isn't an option, it's what we have to do.
I agree. Tough times call for tough measures. Reading about all those deaths is truly heartbreaking. Sending your extended family love and prayers .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
What I don’t understand is why so many people appear to be terrified of the virus, yet so many refuse to practice social distancing and self isolation.
Yep. It's a mix of stupidity and selfishness. Those who don't practice social distancing are either stupid and/or selfish .

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
To relieve stress DD and I walk the dog every day together. Saturday she told me that some researchers in Canada isolated and replicated the corona virus which is a key breakthrough in creating a vaccine. She said "that's what happens when you cancel hockey!"
Love that. How lovely that all three of you go on walks together .
Old 03-17-20, 08:12 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

DH went to Shop-Rite early this morning hoping to beat the crowds. He said it was very crowded but he was able to get most of the things we needed. He thanked the guy stocking the shelves and the man really appreciated it. He said no one ever does that. They weren't limiting items though and one lady had a cart full of canned goods.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-20, 10:02 AM  
Lori_Michigan

I found some alternatives to the basics on my store shelves in case anyone is interested:
-- I found some Horizon ultra-pasteurized shelf stable milk boxes in the juice box aisle (like what you'd put a child's lunch box), although they are small, they'd work for cereal, etc. Here's a link to see where you can buy it: https://horizon.com/organic-dairy-pr...ic-whole-milk/ I also saw that it's still available on Amazon. There are also milk alternatives that are enriched in health food stores, health food aisles, etc. I even saw milk in my local Walgreens when I was there last week. You can even make your own oat milk if you have oatmeal at home.
-- Still no eggs at my grocery store, but there were eggbeaters boxes. Trader Joe's still had hard-boiled eggs. There were also egg protein (I think dried eggs perhaps?) at the health food store. You can also create a "flax egg" for baking if you need to bake something (I think it's a tablespoon of ground flaxseed and a few tablespoons of hot water and then you let it sit for a few minutes to gelatinize). I've baked muffins with "flax eggs" and they are delish. I'm also stretching scrambled eggs by adding crumbled tofu and cheese. No one is none the wiser. Also, any fresh fruit that seems to be going or you want to stretch it for more days, you can put them in muffins, or bake the fruit and top it with some oatmeal/flour/butter/sugar/cinnamon and boom you have a cobbler. I had two bananas that were beyond ripe and turned them into banana bread, which will last a lot longer. My favorite muffin recipe of all time uses a whole orange and basic pantry items: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...range-muffins/
-- Very limited bread at our grocery store, but plenty of yeast packets and flour. You can make your own quick bread: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...er-bake-recipe. I also saw lots of mixes for cornbread, other quick breads, and beer bread if you have beer. Other bread alternatives if your store is out: the Pillsbury French bread, pizza crust, biscuits, cinnamon rolls, etc. My store had plenty of these. Also, lots of frozen bread dough and rolls in the frozen aisle. Also, Bisquick or other plain baking mixes can be turned into anything. A lot of the mixes only need water, so even if you don't have eggs or milk, you could still bake something. It was like everyone forgot they could just make their own!
-- Soup cans were limited, but plenty of plain stocks still on shelves. Any frozen vegetables and some meat and pasta/beans, and you've got some soup.
-- Stretch meat in meals by only using half the amount, throw some cooked rice with it, or extra pasta or cheese, or even the frozen meat alternatives. Last night I cooked a pound of chicken breasts but only used half of it, and will be turning the other half into meals for the rest of the week. Doing the same thing with a pound of ground beef tonight. Dried beef packets in the deli aisle can easily be turned into chipped beef on toast by making a simple roux with whatever milk or butter you have and whatever bread you have. Also, Italian sausage can easily be stretched into a few meals since they are flavorful, and precooked smoked sausage rings and brats/hot dogs/chicken sausages/prepackaged deli meats can all be transformed into sliders with Hawaiian rolls or crescent rolls, flatbreads, etc. American cheese slices and bricks of cheese were plentiful at my store since everyone bypassed them for other sliced cheese and preshredded cheese. Also, Velveeta can be easily made into queso, which my kids think I should I sell since they love mine more than any restaurant. PM me for the recipe! I'm not above Velveeta!
-- Trader Joe's still had a lot of jerky in my store, and the teenagers in my house can't get enough of it. Also, salami sticks and pepperoni (good for months!) have been huge hits as snacks.
-- If your bread is stale, turn it into croutons or make mini pizzas with whatever you've got that's fresh that needs to be eaten. The Tasty app has a lot of variations for this.
-- Also, if you stock up and your frig is full, and you need to store produce or bread, utilize a cooler in your basement or a cold porch (just lock the cooler so animals don't get in). I'm keeping carrots, broccoli, peppers, cauliflower, and kale in a cold cooler on our porch out of the sun. So far after a few days, they are still fresh. I bought baby spinach at the store last week and wrapped it thoroughly in paper towels. If you keep it dry, it will last a lot longer. Any veggies that seem to be going can be thrown on a sheet pan and roasted in the oven, then you've got roasted veggies that you can mix with anything.
-- If fresh veggies are sparse at your store, jarred and canned veggies were still on my store shelves. Roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes, canned green chilies, giardiniera, or anything that has flavor will bulk up any meal. I found frozen mini onions, chopped garlic, spinach, and mixed veggies in my frozen aisle.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-20, 10:34 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Great ideas, Lori!

We did figure out how to perk up cilantro (I'm sure it'll work with other fresh herbs too) by putting the bunch in a glass of water and putting a plastic bag (we used a zip lock) over the top of it. That last part seems critical.
Old 03-17-20, 10:42 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Oh, and if anyone is still doubting why social distancing is the right thing to do, check out this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ona-simulator/
Old 03-17-20, 10:56 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Oh, and if anyone is still doubting why social distancing is the right thing to do, check out this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ona-simulator/
As an introvert, I'm all about social distancing haha!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-20, 11:03 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
... My friend sent me this and it made a big impression:
https://www.ariadnelabs.org/resource...ot-a-snow-day/
That is a good article! The only thing I took issue with was her statement, "And leave the medical masks and gloves for the medical professionals—we need them to care for those who are sick."

If I have to go out, I wear nitrile exam gloves. That way I can use hand sanitizer over and over without destroying my sensitive hands. We have a few boxes of exam gloves on hand for craft projects that I do.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, introverts, price gouging, social distancing