Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 03-25-14, 07:03 AM  
cyana

Bike Shorts - Sources and Recommendations

DH and I just purchased bikes (mountain/road) and it has become somewhat painfully obvious that I could use some bike shorts.

I searched the thread and didn't see any current recommendations. Would appreciate brand/style/merchant suggestions.

Thanks!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 03:59 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I have the Pearl Izumi Quest short and Attack short. I prefer the Quest because it has fewer panels, and therefore fewer seams to irritate my skin. I wear these on my bike and for spin class and haven't ever had any discomfort.

I chose these because I prefer slightly longer bike shorts. A lot of women in spin class wear capris or even really short shorts. I tend to overheat easily indoors, and fear I'd chafe if my inner thighs weren't adequately covered!

I'm training for a duathlon and will run and bike in the same clothes, so I put a gel seat (about $17 at Target) on my bike for now. You might try that for another option. Part of the reason I got it is because it's been too cool for shorts and I don't feel like buying cycle leggings, so with the gel seat, I wear running tights. The gel seat feels odd at first, like I can't get in the right spot on it, but it's worked for a couple of rides (7 and 12.5 miles) I've done recently.

If possible, try some shorts on at a local store (I went to Dick's Sporting Goods) or order from someplace that has free shipping and returns. Amazon does on some items, and Zappos does on everything.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 07:57 PM  
cyana

I like the looks of the Quest short, as I also like the longer legs and fewer seams are always a good thing. They sell this brand at my local biking store, so hopefully I can get over there soon and try on a pair. Their selection wasn't extensive....but at least I could try on the brand and see how it fits.

DH is considering a gel seat.....so hopefully between the two of us we'll figure out what works.

Thanks for the suggestion. Good luck with your duathlon!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 09:30 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

They both actually have about the same inseam. One thing to compare when you try shorts on is the padding. I tried on one pair from Skirt Sports, and they had this horrible stitching along the padding that I knew wouldn't be comfortable.

Thanks! It's my very first duathlon, might be my last.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 07-21-14, 09:42 PM  
bfit

Terry is a company that specializes in biking clothes for women. They have a variety of types of shorts and also tops and jackets. I love them.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 11:59 AM  
Lucysql
VF Supporter

Intro to Women's Bike Shorts

I know this thread is a year old -- but no doubt it will be revived.

So in advance, here's a quick-and-dirty buying guide for women's bike shorts:

1) First and foremost, check the TeamEstrogen forums -- extensive threads about all matters related to women's cycling. Forum members are super willing to offer suggestions, too.

TeamEstrogen, CompetitiveCyclist and other online cycling sites also stock a good variety. Your local bike store (LBS) probably doesn't, so don't necessarily limit yourself to what they carry.

2) General rule of thumb for bike shorts -- you get what you pay for.

Excellent shorts generally start at $100 and up. While you'll find a few people who LURVE a particular brand of shorts at every price point, they're the exception and not the rule. IMO, they are worth the investment if you're routinely riding 35+ miles, and almost all cyclists these days would say they're absolutely essential for routinely riding half-centuries and up.

Classic bike shorts are COMPRESSIVE so they will take you a minute or two to work them on. This is normal.

Don't tumble-dry them -- the heat spoils the spandex. They'll air-dry FAST after they come out of the washer. The pad will take the longest, but even that will dry pretty fast.

They come in various lengths, so you can often find a short and long version of popular models.

FYI, they're usually worn without underwear to avoid an extra layer of fabric that can bunch and chafe. YMMV. Do whatever feels right.

For riding during your period, you can:
  • use a tampon only, no underwear
  • a pad only, no underwear, since the shorts are super-compressive and generally hold it in place
  • a pad or tampon with underwear.

Personally, I'd add a liner in the pad/tampon scenarios if you choose to skip underwear -- getting bloodstains out of the chamois pad in the shorts is often a real pain and not always possible.

Whatever works for you.

3) Most useful features in women's shorts:
  • A wide no-drawstring waistband
  • Legs with no "gripper" at the hem-end of the leg -- just consistently compressive fabric that holds it in place
  • Dense pad if you ride long distances (half-century and up)
  • Thinner pad if you want to do triathlons, since you'll swim, ride AND run in the same pair of shorts (look for tri-specific shorts and remember if you're going to train in them in a pool, you need chlorine-resistant shorts)
  • Thicker pad if you're just starting to increase distance

4) Watch out for
  • Seaming in the crease where your inner thigh meets your body
  • Waistbands that squeeze or cut at the wrong place -- especially the top or bottom edge of the waistband which is usually less elastic

4) Brands to look at

Sugoi
Castelli
Gore
Pearl Izumi
Garneau
Giordana
Shebeest
Terry
Desoto
Assos

For pool tris -- Tyr for chlorine resistant fabric

5) Bodyglide is an amazing product if you have chafing in your pelvic area -- just slather it on anywhere you experience chafing.
Lucysql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 05:53 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

You didn't mention my favorite tri shorts--Zoot! I wear them for bike rides too since most of my rides are 15 miles or less.

Thanks for the info on TTOM--I've been wondering if it would be weird to attach a pad to the chamois! Wonder how it would do attached to the fleece pad in tri shorts? Any idea?

Old 08-31-15, 02:07 AM  
Lucysql
VF Supporter

Yep, Zoot's another! FWIW, I mainly see them at tri's, but not nearly as often on folks who exclusively cycle.

The tri shorts I'm most familiar with all use foam in varying thicknesses and densities.

I get the feeling that fleece pads in tri shorts are being replaced by newer types of foam that offer more protection on the bike while still being thin and drying faster than fleece. But that's just my impression, I could be wrong.

How "fleecy" is the fleece? Do you think the surface is too irregular for a pad or liner to stay stuck?

The other issue would be swimming with a pad/liner during TTOM -- THAT could be the bigger problem, if you're doing this during a tri vs just during a bike ride.
Lucysql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 10:43 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Yeah, I definitely would NOT swim with a pad! I'll have to see what the fleece is like--I have older Zoots and newer ones and I think the pad is slightly different. In my experience, certain brands do use fleece and others use a thinner pad. I prefer fleece because there are no stitches and it doesn't seem to hold as much water.

Tags
bike shorts