Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-14, 09:11 PM  
smith938
VF Supporter

I'm 47 and last dr appt weighed 215 and I almost cried with relief it wasn't as high as I thought it'd be thehighest I know I've been was 225 and I got down to 170 or so with weight watchers adn exercise but work and life got stressful and I kept being on again off again and packed it back on.

my health has gotten worse- I really wish I had stuck with it 2 yrs ago when I was so gung-ho and active in 2 great checkins but I got so tired of thinking of exercise all the time and burned out I guess. I startd back a few weeks ago and for the first time I've been able to miss exercise a few days then start again and not feel I had fallen 'off the wagon'. I need this for my health-=mental and physical. I've taken blood prssure meds for years -even in college I had to take them. both parents passed from cancer. stress at work..and triglycerides are up.

I need to watch the diet more but like you said I notice that when I get in some moderate exercise - where my heart rate is up but not much of a dread factor - I feel better and tend to eat better. I still had snacky stuff today but I've just 'naturally' added in more veggies and fruits and had more water.
Old 05-29-14, 10:36 AM  
14yrbeliever

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith938 View Post
I'm 47 and last dr appt weighed 215 and I almost cried with relief it wasn't as high as I thought it'd be thehighest I know I've been was 225 and I got down to 170 or so with weight watchers adn exercise but work and life got stressful and I kept being on again off again and packed it back on.

my health has gotten worse- I really wish I had stuck with it 2 yrs ago when I was so gung-ho and active in 2 great checkins but I got so tired of thinking of exercise all the time and burned out I guess. I startd back a few weeks ago and for the first time I've been able to miss exercise a few days then start again and not feel I had fallen 'off the wagon'. I need this for my health-=mental and physical. I've taken blood prssure meds for years -even in college I had to take them. both parents passed from cancer. stress at work..and triglycerides are up.

I need to watch the diet more but like you said I notice that when I get in some moderate exercise - where my heart rate is up but not much of a dread factor - I feel better and tend to eat better. I still had snacky stuff today but I've just 'naturally' added in more veggies and fruits and had more water.
I completely understand about being on the right road for weight loss and health and then completely falling off. Two and a half years ago I was at 202 lbs (down from 260) and then I completely lost it--my motivation just evaporated and now I'm close to 290....my highest ever. It continually frustrates the heck out of me that IF I would've kept on going at that 202 lb point, I would be at my goal weight now and maintaining. It really physically hurts to think about how much progress I've let slide. So I really do understand and feel your pain. It sounds like you are getting back on track again and I'm right there with you. Here's hoping we forgive ourselves for what we've messed up on and start anew with renewed motivation and success! Slow and steady wins the race, right?
14yrbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-14, 10:56 AM  
icebergslim

I feel for you.

I was up there 12 years ago. What changed my life was going green, as in smoothies for meal replacements and solid working out. I just kept moving.

Today, I have kept it off and still do my smoothies daily, but only once a day versus twice. Plenty of information on the internet about green smoothies, juices.

Food is 80% of weightloss and exercise is the other 20%. Once you find a plan, stick with it and keep moving.
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-14, 11:00 AM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14yrbeliever View Post
It continually frustrates the heck out of me that IF I would've kept on going at that 202 lb point, I would be at my goal weight now and maintaining. It really physically hurts to think about how much progress I've let slide.

I'm totally with you on this - and I'm hoping that realization, and the fact that I don't have forever to get it right, is what will keep me going this time.

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-14, 11:16 AM  
poohpeggy

Its what you do with "today" that counts. In Jan I weighed 197 and could not get through a beginner workout. I just figured 1/2 a workout was better then the couch. Today I am down 59 lbs all from diet and exercise only. I am 53. So I say just get started and the rest will fall into place.
poohpeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-14, 12:14 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith938 View Post
I need to watch the diet more but like you said I notice that when I get in some moderate exercise - where my heart rate is up but not much of a dread factor - I feel better and tend to eat better.
This is true for me, too. I find the days I exercise I naturally tend to make better choices with food. I have to be really vigilant on rest days not to overdo it with eating. It's weird, but for me, discipline with exercise really carries over into my eating.

I really believe exercise has been oversold as a means of weight loss (since you can easily eat your caloric burn and/or 'reward' yourself for a workout with food, among other psychological/physiological results), but somehow as long as I'm mindful of the pitfalls, exercise really helps me with the eating.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-14, 01:07 PM  
Lucysql
VF Supporter

Greetings!

VF is exactly the right place for support.

My mantra is that "You can't tell by looking."

Active people come in all shapes and sizes, and everyone has a story. You can't tell by looking at someone whether they're active or not, and you can't begin to guess at their story.

My husband looks like a regular runner. Except he has Type 1 diabetes AND is a triathlete. He has to micromanage stuff 24/7 that the rest of us don't even have to think about.

Today, I'm 5'5", around 130# and active. You can't tell by looking at me that I used to be 200+. You might think "Boy, she needs to run faster" - but you can't tell by looking that my surgeon thinks it's amazing that I run at all, at ANY pace, thanks to a long-ago car crash.

I know a woman who's mid-200s and has Type 2 diabetes -- and guess what, she's a half-marathoner and on a mega-relay team. Oh, and a running coach in her employer's wellness program.

And I know more cyclists that don't "look" fit than I can count - and they ride anywhere from 20 - 30 miles all the way up to double-centuries.

It's the doing that counts.
Lucysql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-14, 01:09 PM  
sherry7899

Lucy-I'm so glad to see you posting again. I've missed your posts. Thanks for coming back I really like your saying!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-14, 01:38 PM  
14yrbeliever

Many thanks for your post, Lucy. You are so right on the money.

Although when people look at me now and think I eat a lot and don't work out, they are right (or they WERE right, last week). But they don't know I have run a marathon and used to work out at a high-intermediate level for years before my current situation. But I'm hoping to get back in the saddle and be FIT and HEALTHY, even well before I've reached my goal weight (heck, even if I never reach it--I really just want to be fit and healthy).

So thanks again for your words of wisdom!
14yrbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-14, 02:31 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchworkpenguin View Post
We would love to have more people join us!!!

Joan, I love your DDP quote! and your peony shot.

Kate, good to see again.
Hi Penguin Pal!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
obesity, overweight