Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-11, 08:03 PM  
cyana

Electronic Recipe Filing

I'm hoping to do some serious decluttering in the coming months, and getting rid of paper "stuff" is high on the list. I currently have recipe clippings in labeled manila envelopes. I'd like to explore various systems for electronically organizing recipes so I can ditch the paper.

Have you done this, and if so, what system is working well for you? Did you type or scan your recipes? TIA!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 09:10 AM  
sherry7899

I wish I had a laptop so I could use it in the kitchen and scan all my printouts of recipes and ditch the paper, too. I keep mine in a binder in sheet protectors, divided up by category. It makes it easy to find them, but I keep adding more. I'll need a second binder soon!

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 09:22 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I'm interested in this device at Amazon, but don't have it because I can't afford it right now, but it looks interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Demy-Kitchen-T...=3F0SWSV0PMOL9
Old 12-12-11, 05:58 PM  
faith458

I'm now up to 3 binders of recipes!
Faith
faith458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 08:15 AM  
sherry7899

Actually, I do already have two binders of recipes! I may have room in the first one which I forgot about to add some more recipes. It's a really nice recipe binder my DH bought me from Current Stationary about 15 years ago, and it holds a lot. I started a new one that's mainly recipes from websites (green lite bites and gina's skinny recipes and oh she glows).

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 10:00 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

I bought a QVC TSV that is a handheld document scanner. It can do B&W and color.
The main reason I bought it was to for work issues.
The next reason I bought it was for family photo archiving.

But what I think it will get the most use for is archiving recipes.

I plan to just make folders on my computer much as I have folders of recipes now.
I want to put these in off site storage just in case.

But I am very low tech. I need to make the virtual environment as simple as possible. I am the holder of my late grandmothet's recipes so I hope to scan and send all these to family members.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 07:47 PM  
cyana

I saw one of those hand-held scanners on TV several months ago - I wondered how well they actually work in real life. My flat bed scanner most likely came over on the Mayflower (only a slight exaggeration!), so I wouldn't be heartbroken if it got replaced in the not too distant future.

I looked at the link on the Demy - it looks like it could be a very useful device with a few software modifications (based on the reviewers comments). I have a laptop, so I could easily enough put it on the kitchen counter and read recipes from the screen while I'm cooking (and have done that when looking up recipes on line).

I'd love to dump the manila folders - at least they keep my recipes contained and organized for now!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-11, 07:56 AM  
Hattie
VF Supporter

That is a great idea, Sherry, to use the laptop with an electronic cookbook. I ordered Living Cookbook 2011 for my laptop. I already have on my pc the sister program, DietPro which is licensed for only one computer and hasn't been upgraded since 2005. Using that and the pc I have had to print out my recipes for my binder. Customer Service is good with the company which puts out this software. They have a forum which is responsive to questions one might have. I have used it before and got help when needed. There is one big drawback to their software, it only supports Windows operating systems and not Mac.
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-11, 08:59 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
That is a great idea, Sherry, to use the laptop with an electronic cookbook. I ordered Living Cookbook 2011 for my laptop.
I am working to compile recipes I have created for my husband and ordered this software program. It's pretty intuitive to use. I've created a few recipes and then exported them to a file format I could send to a friend.

Now, I just need to find the time to create more of the recipes. Most of them are in my brain, not on paper, whether I created them from scratch or took an existing recipe and modified it.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-11, 05:53 PM  
Lucysql
VF Supporter

I use Mastercook's software package and like it. (www.valusoft.com)

I only type in the recipes I actually use, though.

If I've never tried a recipe - but I might someday (or might not) - I don't bother to type OR scan it - I just keep in a pile that I poke through for inspiration sometimes.
Lucysql is offline   Reply With Quote