Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-30-16, 04:13 PM  
wookiemouse

"De-fluffing" after STS?

So I was going back through some old STS threads and noticed that a lot of folks had the same results I did - insane strength gains but no fat loss, resulting in just an overall increase of "fluff" and tight clothes. Those same folks said they changed their routine post-STS and were able to lean out, but didn't say WHAT routine they were following! If anyone has had this experience with STS and found a solution that their body liked to lean out, please let me know what direction you went.

Completed: P90X, CLX, TF, TF/CLX hybrid (x3), Les Mills Pump, STS (x3), NROLFW, Focus T25, P90X3, Body Beast, Insanity half-grad

Currently doing: Strong
wookiemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-16, 04:39 PM  
PhyllisG

I followed STS with CLX not recommended. At least not for me. After that Meta Omni and that slimmed down my quads and arms.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-16, 05:05 PM  
Tugger31

Still a work in progress, but for me....adding a day of running, cutting cals a bit and overall working out with slightly less frequency, ie. working upper body once a week and also not going to failure. The first month or so I would sometimes only workout upper body every other week or do a split that I would do over a two week period, ie. one UB split per week. For lower body I saw more fluff in the quads, so I concentrated more on glute training with Butt Bible (which also has an upper body workout. You can purchase the dvd set, but also all the workouts were on youtube last time I checked), Zuzka's Butt Series workouts and floor work. Sometimes I'd add in a HiiT workout and count that as my leg/cardio day to maintain some quad strength. Lately I have been incorporating workouts from Bikini Body Guide 2 to mix things up a bit. These have an Ab, Leg and Arm Circuit each week with a Total Body day every 2 weeks. The set also contains Fitness Challengs along the way.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-16, 06:05 PM  
IceQueen07

I'm looking for the same. I have done almost a month of ICE and am going to try either RWH or Xtrain to try and lean out. Disappointed in the results from STS, not what I was expecting.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-16, 06:16 PM  
ellaenchanted

How about one of these: Dream Body workouts, pink Firms, or Jari Love.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-16, 09:01 AM  
Tugger31

I would also think that Linda Wooldridge's 3 Interval Barre Fusion workouts with her Fusion Mat and her Barre Bell workout would do the trick.
Old 05-01-16, 09:31 AM  
Buzzer

I recently did 1 1/2 rounds of STS and gained lots of muscle but stayed very "fluffy". I am now in week 8 of Tapout XT2, and I have definitely leaned out without losing my muscle. It's pretty much cardio, weight training, and body weight training every day, but it certainly has done the trick for me without undoing all I did in STS!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-16, 12:09 PM  
Cafelattee

3 weeks of metabolic workouts burned off the fat layer for me

I used Peak 10 as my main and threw in some spin/hiit classes
Cafelattee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-16, 01:11 PM  
Tugger31

Some of the "fluff" of course is due to increased muscle size either with gaining fat too or just not losing what you had before you started. So obviously to lose the fat part you'd eat a caloric deficit and for me, do more cardio. To debulk or atrophy the muscle size you'd workout with less intensity whether that be thru less reps, less weight, less frequency. I read somewhere (and not sure if it's true or not, but made some sense to me) that muscle size is made when you workout to failure, doesn't really matter if that's using many reps and moderate weights, heavy weights with less reps etc. To conserve strength (without gaining size) this article recommended doing only 2 sets of about 5 reps and no more than 8, but not going to failure. Your last rep should be a weight where you could do about 2-3 more reps. I'm still in a bit of de-bulk phase for upper body but have started working in higher weights with less sets to get some strength back. So far, I am seeing results so the proof is in the pudding or so they say.
Old 05-01-16, 03:57 PM  
wookiemouse

I've been at a caloric deficit according to my Fitbit HR, just hit my 245 day mark on MFP, so I've ruled that out for now. But with this also being my 3rd round of STS - and out lifting Cathe by 10-15 lbs on most exercises - I'm wondering if just a massive shift in routine would do it. I'm looking into kettle bells, something I haven't done before. I love lifting heavy, but I would love even more to fit into some of my old clothes again. :/

Completed: P90X, CLX, TF, TF/CLX hybrid (x3), Les Mills Pump, STS (x3), NROLFW, Focus T25, P90X3, Body Beast, Insanity half-grad

Currently doing: Strong
wookiemouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flex train