Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-16, 01:17 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

Do you have birthday workouts?

Since I have it I always do Newport on my birthday. Do you have a favorite?

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 02:24 PM  
violingal3

Funny, yes I do! I like to do a Les Mills Pump workout and a hiit session on the treadmill.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 03:02 PM  
Chomper

Happy birthday!

Your story reminds me of a competitive Olympic lifter I heard on a podcast who says he never benches (it's not one of the lifts), but he does bench every year on his birthday just to gauge where he is at.

I'm so close to buying Newport, I think you just pushed me over the edge. Is that one where one size Kettlebell would work for the whole workout, or do you use several different sizes? I only have dumbbells, but thinking about what size my first Kettlebell should be.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 07:43 PM  
PrairieGem

I have never heard of Newport!

But there are two days a year that, without fail, I always work out: New Year's Day and my birthday. Even if I'm injured or not currently exercising (which is rare, but there are those odd periods), I ALWAYS do something on those two days. I don't have specific workouts--it's either something new (my very first KCM was a birthday gift to myself) or just whatever the workout would be for that rotation. Or a workout BFF. Or whatever I feel like.

...Except last year. My birthday fell the day before a major race for us, so I took the day off. And felt d@mn guilty about it, too!! We are probably going to do this race annually, though, so I'm going to have to get used to it. (And b/c it's the town's annual Fourth of July event, it will always be the day after my birthday!)
Old 04-29-16, 08:05 PM  
sciencelady

Yes, I always celebrate my birthday year with a special workout accomplishing some sort of goal. 50 was doing 50 kettlebell snatches with each arm with 16 kg bell. 51 was sprint challenge doing 51 25 m sprints. 52 was doing a workout with a deck of cards - each suit would be either lower body, upper body, cardio/plyo, or balance and the number would be the reps or times. 53 was doing a snatch with 24 kg bell with each arm. 54 was another card deck adding jokers as challenge intervals involving some of my circus tricks. Frankly looking forward to 55
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-16, 06:58 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencelady View Post
Yes, I always celebrate my birthday year with a special workout accomplishing some sort of goal. 50 was doing 50 kettlebell snatches with each arm with 16 kg bell. 51 was sprint challenge doing 51 25 m sprints. 52 was doing a workout with a deck of cards - each suit would be either lower body, upper body, cardio/plyo, or balance and the number would be the reps or times. 53 was doing a snatch with 24 kg bell with each arm. 54 was another card deck adding jokers as challenge intervals involving some of my circus tricks. Frankly looking forward to 55
You are very strong. My heavy overhead days are over because of the rotator cuff surgery, but I still love to do snatches but now lighter and less reps with 7-8 kg only. Next year I'll be 60 so I have to come up with a very good workout. A marathon is definitely in the picture and Newport too, maybe another Steve Maxwell course to see how we are aging gracefully together hehe. No better example than him, that's for sure.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-16, 08:57 AM  
dnna

I am an original Firm believer and always do Volume 1 on my birthday!
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-16, 10:30 AM  
muggle

Something long and sweaty! Just to prove to myself.....I still got it!
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-16, 11:00 AM  
alisoncooks

Man, y'all are good!

Birthday-workout is so much better than birthday-whole-box-of-donuts that I currently do...
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-16, 02:22 PM  
lingo10

Something exhilirating on my birthday like a dance cardio and toning or Insanity

FT25 Alpha, Beta, Gamma Grad 4/14
Insanity Grad 8/14
Insanity Max 30 Grad 3/15, 2x Grad 11/15
Current Programs/Workouts: Caroline Girvan's Iron Series & Other Mixed Workouts.
lingo10 is offline   Reply With Quote