Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-01-16, 06:17 PM  
LAC

I hadn't heard of the new studies about it being bad to stand in one place, but it does make sense. I hope standing will encourage me to move around a bit more. What I've noticed is, if I am sitting I don't get out of my chair except to go to the copier. But if I'm engaged in a project where I spread materials on top of a file cabinet and stand to work, I'm more inclined to take breaks and move around a bit. Hopefully it will be the same case with a standing desk.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-16, 07:38 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Sorry it has taken so long to respond but I was away most of the week. Personally the Varidesk did not work out well for me or my colleague mostly because it took up a lot if real estate on our desks. Frankly it was huge. Also the tray on the bottom came out quite some distance and it put the monitor too far away. They do have a (model that has a smaller footprint if space is a concern. There's a free trial period if you want to try it out.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 03:10 PM  
LAC

Oh no, I"m sorry to hear the Varidesk didn't work out. Did either you or your colleague perhaps find something else that worked better? Or was that trial enough to make you decide a sit-stand desk wasn't something you are interested in anymore?
Old 05-02-16, 09:36 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
Oh no, I"m sorry to hear the Varidesk didn't work out. Did either you or your colleague perhaps find something else that worked better? Or was that trial enough to make you decide a sit-stand desk wasn't something you are interested in anymore?
I had and still have a sit/stand setup that is very low tech. I just tried the varidesk before we sent it back. I purchased a monitor arm for my colleague which took her months to install. She tells me she likes it though I don't know how much she is really using it to work standing. I need to follow up with her. My setup works because I use a laptop with an external monitor keyboard and mouse. The monitor is set on a box and a thick cushion which is at the right height for me to use standing. When I need to sit I use a titling laptop stand that puts the screen is at the right height for me while sitting. I use the wireless keyboard and mouse while I use the laptop as well.

BTW, it is true that standing in one place all day is not much better than sitting all day. When I first started using this setup I was standing a lot because sitting was really aggravating my hip pain. For the first several weeks my feet were killing me by the end of the day and they were actually sore when I went to bed at night and woke up in the morning. I don't know which of Katy's books or blog posts it was in but she was talking about using multiple positions when typing. So sometimes I actually kneel on a yoga mat in front of my laptop. Usually one knee on the floor and the foot of the other leg flat in front of my body. I try to walk a lot at work. Walk to co-workers offices, the copier, the lunch room for water, snacks etc. At home I work standing with my laptop or put it on an ottoman and sit cross legged in front of it, then I put it flat on the floor and use it while on my stomach. I hardly move at all when using my desktop though.

ETA: PM me your email address if you want to see photos of my setup or the monitor arm.
Old 05-03-16, 03:44 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I just tried to download a photo of my computer setup at work but the file size is too large. Like I said if you want to see it PM me and I will send you it in an email. I also have a photo of my supervisor's setup. He had a back issue and couldn't sit for extended periods so he has a regular monitor on the desk surface and a laptop stand on an arm that he could adjust at a height that worked well when he is standing.
The other person has an arm that holds the monitor instead of a laptop. She used to keep the laptop on her desk on a riser so she doesn't have to look down at the screen. I am not sure what the setup is now that she has the arm in place but I think the laptop is still on the riser or desk surface and she adjusts the monitor height depending on whether she is sitting or standing.
Old 05-04-16, 05:21 PM  
LAC

lreidgreen I will PM you with my email address. I appreciate you taking the time to share photos of the set-ups at your office!

Tags
katy bowman, varidesk