Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-15, 09:27 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks for that additional info, Leslie. My keyboard tray is low like in the first picture, so I think I could probably get away with a slight positive tilt...obviously I still have to play around with it some more.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-15, 09:34 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Cyana,
I have a similar setup at work but I do not have two large monitors. Can you use your laptop screen in place of one of your monitors? Can you use one of these Varidesk options?
http://www.varidesk.com/number_of_mo.../More-than-Two

When I was considering a Varidesk for home use, (different model than the ones above) the thing that bothered me was that the keyboard trays (not all the models have them) were not independently adjustable.
Anyway take a look and read the reviews to see if any of these will fit the bill. Check the reviews at Amazon too.

Katy uses her laptop a lot sitting, kneeling or lying on the floor. If you need to use external monitors all the time this won't work for you but that is another option for changing position.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-15, 04:29 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
I did get an ergonomic (vertical) mouse at work, which seems to help, but the problem is, there isn't a good place to put it. If it's on the keyboard tray, it's too far, so I have to put it on my desk, which is okay, although not ideal.
A RollerMouse might work for you Beth.

We used them when I was part of the hospital ergo team prior to retiring. There's a definite learning curve but I've used one and came to prefer it. The keyboard sits over the top part. I'm not sure if your laptop would sit over it if you prefer your laptop's keyboard.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-15, 06:27 AM  
cyana

Leslie - The Varidesk is the option I keep returning to and it looks like they have some new models since I last checked their website. I have to work with big spreadsheets and documents that can go on forever, so I need the two large monitors and keep the laptop closed in the docking station. The keyboard was the thing that put me off previously, although it looks like there are new options there as well. I'll have to check those out. Thanks for the heads up.

Lanette - I've been looking at the RollerMouse for ages. I originally didn't bite, because I was using an ergonomic keyboard at the time.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-15, 07:19 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post

We used them when I was part of the hospital ergo team prior to retiring. There's a definite learning curve but I've used one and came to prefer it. The keyboard sits over the top part. I'm not sure if your laptop would sit over it if you prefer your laptop's keyboard.
Thanks Lanette. I am using the vertical mouse at work, with my desktop setup--that's where I am having trouble trying to find the best ergonomic setup (I do have a laptop at home, but I don't find that to be as much of a problem). I think my employer would be willing to purchase some new things for me, but funds are certainly not unlimited!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 09-08-15, 01:05 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Thanks Lanette. I am using the vertical mouse at work, with my desktop setup--that's where I am having trouble trying to find the best ergonomic setup (I do have a laptop at home, but I don't find that to be as much of a problem). I think my employer would be willing to purchase some new things for me, but funds are certainly not unlimited!
Beth, do you have small hands? I use a mini mouse- works so much better for me.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-15, 07:42 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
Beth, do you have small hands? I use a mini mouse- works so much better for me.
Hmm, Lynn, I think my hands are average-sized. I actually really like the vertical mouse--it's the rest of my desk setup at work that's a problem!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 09-08-15, 08:21 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I viewed the exercise video as well as the "are you a rib thruster" video. The rib thruster one was quite eye opening. I know the info is in her books but it was much easier to follow on video. I am a major league rib thruster! Gotta work on that. I emailed the link to my work email address and will try out the office exercises at work tomorrow. So maybe I will be keeping this after all.

I did not get a chance to look at the YTU exercise ball videos. However I started using Jill Miller's book Roll Model on my aching parts and it was amazingly effective. Last week I did the section on legs/thighs, Hips/buttocks and pelvis. Today I did the pelvis and spine sections.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-15, 08:36 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Sorry, I read that you had your mouse on your desktop and immediately started thinking of ways to lower it.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-15, 02:59 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post

Just want to sing the praises of the Roller Mouse Lanette recommends. It's what I used on my last job (medical transcription), before I retired. It saved my wrists and was such a relief from the cumbersome and (for me) dysfunctional traditional mouse (which I could never position comfortably).

I used a split keyboard with the roller mouse and loved it--I could position the two sections wide apart, so as not to scrunch my pecs and shoulders. And (blessedly!) there was no ten-key pad, for which like Beth I had no need.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
katy bowman, varidesk