Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-15, 01:20 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Katy Bowman Don't Just Sit There E-book/course

I found this on Katy's facebook page. Her brand will soon be "Nutritious Movement" instead of Restorative exercise or whatever it is now.

Here is a link to her new e-book, audio and video course about ways to move more to limit the damage caused by too much sitting. It is a collaborative effort between Katy and Mark Sisson of Primal Blueprint and an actual book is coming out soon. There is a limited time offer of $27 that expires tonight at 5 PM PST after which the price goes up to $37. I think I am going to get this.

https://www.primalblueprint.com/dont...e?affiliate=92
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 01:51 PM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

That's rather interesting given that I've just been contemplating how to deal with a desk job, and knowing that my one workout per day sure as hell isn't enough exercise.

I'm strongly considering this.

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 04:12 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I was curious about the ordering process and was dismayed to see that you have to create an account at Primal Blueprint. I hate having to create accounts at websites just to order something.

I put in a phony name and then a pop-up window comes up to suggest other products to buy. (What is this, BeachBody?)

All I wanted to find out was if they take PayPal.

I lost interest.
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 04:27 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Yes I just went through the process and was not happy that I had to set up an account with Primal Blueprint and got the pop up trying to sell me protein powder or something like it. I knew Sisson had a blog and wrote a book but didn't realize how many books/programs/products he has. Quite the empire. I assume he will try to send me tons of emails which I plan to opt out of.
Anyway I am trying to increase the amount of movement in my life and am very curious about workstation modifications so I think this program will be of interest. And there is a money back guarantee I think.

ETA: No paypal. I wanted to know the same thing. BTW when you enter your cc# the box for "Remember for future orders" is already checked. So I won't be buying anything else from him unless Katy continues to work with him which I hope she doesn't. My guess is he provides a certain amount of capitol that perhaps she doesn't have.
Old 09-02-15, 05:19 PM  
andtckrtoo

If you wait until after it comes out, I'm sure Amazon will be offering it. They offer Katy's version and Mark's Primal Blue Print and others of his.
Old 09-02-15, 05:23 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Amazon will have the book but I am not sure they will have the course with the videos and audios.
Old 09-02-15, 06:54 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Well I don't think this program is ready for prime time yet. The Intro video with Katy and Mark discussing the issue was repetitive if you have read her other books and the sound did not sync well with the video. I haven't proceeded to the videos titled:
1) Meet the dynamic primal workplace
2) A sitting makeover for optimal spinal alignment
3) Are you a rib thruster? (this is probably in her other content online- she discusses it in her books)
4)Guided in-office exercise routine

The pdf of the ebook opened then I couldn't save it. Then when I tried one of the other documents I couldn't even open it-got and adobe error messge. I am not sure if the problem is with me or the website.
I'll keep trying and keep you posted.
Old 09-03-15, 04:57 AM  
Lannette

I was able to download everything without a problem.

I'm wondering if this is a money generating thing for Katy. On one of the audios Sisson proudly talks about the treadmill desks his staff use. Katy has never - from anything I've ever read/heard liked treadmills. Instead of a proper gait we basically just catch ourselves as we call forward over and over again.

I'm still not unhappy with the purchase. I'm hoping it will help DH redo his office to some degree and I want to take a fresh look at my study area.

Of note, there are freebies that are only available for download until September 7th or 8th. Included is an entire isometric program (paper), cookbook and diet (paleo of course) and worksheets.

There's actually a lot for the cost but how much of it is useful remains to be seen.
I look back fondly on the time when Katy would have a presale for a new book and the cost would be $10.00. She was selling herself short but it sure was nice.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-15, 05:59 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I eventually got everything to download. It must have been an issue with my computer (or the user-me) because I had the same problems downloading a newsletter I got from Pat Flynn yesterday that was also password protected.

Lannette, I had the same thought about the treadmill desk. She is very clear in her other books that she does not like treadmills for the reasons you state.

Yes the extra content seems good but it is not great and I didn't purchase it for other people's content. The Functional exercise slide show was of limited value because I could not figure out the movements from the stylized drawings (basically stick figures) they used and the narrative was not very descriptive. Video or photos would have been much better. Too bad because it looks like there are some exercises you could do at work. The Exuberant Animal documents were very long (300+ pages) and while the Playbook might have had some exercises at the end, I got tired wading through all the rambling narrative. All that content was by the same author (Frank Forencich.) The Barefoot e book called Amazing Feets by Mark Sisson was about transitioning to minimal footwear and was information that is available in Katy's Whole Body Barefoot book. It may or may not have been more comprehensive than hers but I didn't have time to go through it in detail. Somehow I doubt there is anything new. The Isometric Exercise program did look promising but I need to go through it more thoroughly.

The video where she went through the Primal Blueprint offices evaluating their workstations started off fine but then there were buffering problems and the video did not synch with the audio. What was there was nothing different from what she has in her other books-the calf stretch, using a cobblestone mat etc. I have already incorporated these into my work setup. What I am looking for is ways to change my position that are not sitting and not standing-I have a monitor on a box and padded riser that I use standing and when I want to move I sit and use my laptop. Unfortunately my setup right now does not allow me to move my laptop on the floor or on my chair to use some of the other positions she suggests (which BTW she also has in her other books) although sometimes I kneel to use my laptop using my yoga mat for padding. I think if get longer cords or connect to wifi I might be able to use some of the sitting on the floor positions although I will get some strange looks from my co-workers.
Sitting on a BOSU with a laptop is not very practical-how many people have a BOSU they can bring to work or the space to use it? I had major "sellers remorse" because I just sold my BOSU earlier this year. I guess you could use a low stool or something like it.
The buyers guide may be a useful resource but my hunch is there are a lot of expensive items there. I know she mentioned one inexpensive hack in the video (using boxes to raise you monitor) but there weren't a lot of low cost options for workstation modifications. The calf stretch on the yoga mat and cobblestone mat are low cost but again those ideas are not anything not already offered in her books or perhaps even on her website. I have not had a chance to review her office exercise program video but if that doesn't offer anything new I am going to ask for a refund.

Leslie
Old 09-03-15, 06:12 AM  
Lannette

I honestly haven't gone through anything Leslie. Do we get a paperback copy of her book? I thought that was part of the deal.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
katy bowman, varidesk