Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-04-09, 05:08 PM  
shortie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~^~RedFlame~^~ View Post
BUT, and this might be part of the reason it pinches in instead of getting blocky, I avoid the Chalene type of side crunching on the SAME side, and always try to make those moves CROSS moves, i.e. right shoulder to left side, left shoulder to right side, etc. I find that things like the standing side crunching done in a lot of workouts just blocks my waist out. Still firm and strong, but not what I look for. !
Oh, oh oh!!!!!! You have just confirmed what I always suspected, that those side bends aren't a good idea (I'm only 5'2", so I need my waist to go IN as much as I can). Chalene does them with weights! and Tracy Effinger does these in Squeeze with her squeeze stick, and I always thought that this might contribute to a more up-and-down figure, rather than curving in. I'm going to do what you just suggested -- turn it into a transverse move instead of an oblique.
shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 07:59 PM  
lorajc

I'll be interested to see what RedFlame thinks of the rest of these. I'm on the fence. The reviews at Collage are sooooooooooo mixed! Should I or shouldn't I? A 4 lb KB sounds SO very light!
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 09:52 AM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
I'll be interested to see what RedFlame thinks of the rest of these. I'm on the fence. The reviews at Collage are sooooooooooo mixed! Should I or shouldn't I? A 4 lb KB sounds SO very light!
LOL, ya, I thought the same thing, FOUR pounds??? Until I could barely move on the second day, hahahahaha. This is not a muscle builder, it is a fat burner/toner. So ya, the little bell is plenty, but I read that others use heavier. Not for me, my connective tissues are fine with the 4#.

I like to mix it up, and consider this a 'cardio' day workout, so I don't need anything too heavy. I love the functional aspect of it, and I just for some reason cannot get into my TLTs anymore. KBs have become my FF workout of choice, and YOGA of course. Hard Core KB users don't seem to care for this one because it is too 'wimpy'. Ha! Put your body into it and tell me it is wimpy! Though I will admit that my fitness level is down right now. ON the surface I look pretty much the same, but my endurance and strength have suffered in the tax season. A Lot of time at the desk, and much less time in the gym for the last several months, so maybe my opinion will change when I am at full force again, but I hope not!

Edited to add: I don't want to insinuate that kb (kickbox) side crunch moves are bad or you shouldn't do them! For me, I prefer a more pinched waist, but ANY firm strong core is good, and I would rather be more straight up and down and have great abs than to be soft. I am sure not insulting Chalenes abs, but I do see this little thick area that is caused by those bends that I don't like as it makes my waist gain inches. But they are not BAD inches, no muffin top, just a 'wider' strength. Anything that encourages a strong core is good, so keep on keepin on, this was a strictly personal observation for ME, so hopefully I won't be blasted too hard with "how can you SAY those are bad", haha, they are not.

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 09:58 AM  
adrien_73

I just ordered the set form QVC. I had it before (the deluxe from the kettlenetics website) & sold it. At the time, I was into heavier strength training and traditional kbell routines & didn't think this was 'enough'.

Now I am doing more endurance, AWT and barre, yoga and pilates so I think these routines would be perfect! I did order a 9# Cap Kbell from Dick's Sporting Goods to use with it. (My lightest is a 12# which I'm sure will be too heavy for some moves.) The list price was $12 & change but with shipping it was about $23. One of the less expensive kbells I've found!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 10:03 AM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien_73 View Post
I just ordered the set form QVC. I had it before (the deluxe from the kettlenetics website) & sold it. At the time, I was into heavier strength training and traditional kbell routines & didn't think this was 'enough'.

Now I am doing more endurance, AWT and barre, yoga and pilates so I think these routines would be perfect! I did order a 9# Cap Kbell from Dick's Sporting Goods to use with it. (My lightest is a 12# which I'm sure will be too heavy for some moves.) The list price was $12 & change but with shipping it was about $23. One of the less expensive kbells I've found!
I just don't even know if this workout is MEANT to be used with something like 9#, but if you can do it with good solid form, then good on ya! 9 would be way too much for me except with the getups and such, but the swinging and overhead moves, na, I'll stick with the baby bell!

Old 06-05-09, 10:07 AM  
adrien_73

Quote:
I just don't even know if this workout is MEANT to be used with something like 9#, but if you can do it with good solid form, then good on ya! 9 would be way too much for me except with the getups and such, but the swinging and overhead moves, na, I'll stick with the baby bell!
IIRC, I used my 12# for some of the moves on the toning DVD. It was a bit too heavy but not unbearably so. For the cardio I will probably stick with the 4#!!!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 12:41 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Today I think I am going to try the disc with ballet something written on it. Those little leg lift types of moves KILL me, so that means I really need them. Today is the first day that I have not been sore since, when did I do that kettlenetics? On monday?

Old 06-05-09, 02:35 PM  
shortie

Quote:
Edited to add: I don't want to insinuate that kb (kickbox) side crunch moves are bad or you shouldn't do them! For me, I prefer a more pinched waist, but ANY firm strong core is good, and I would rather be more straight up and down and have great abs than to be soft. I am sure not insulting Chalenes abs, but I do see this little thick area that is caused by those bends that I don't like as it makes my waist gain inches. But they are not BAD inches, no muffin top, just a 'wider' strength. Anything that encourages a strong core is good, so keep on keepin on, this was a strictly personal observation for ME, so hopefully I won't be blasted too hard with "how can you SAY those are bad", haha, they are not.
I hear you! All core work is good in terms of stability, injury prevention, strength, posture, etc. But, for looks . . . It just reminded me of a part of one of Jillian Michaels' books -- she says something like, "I'm actually relatively short and stocky, so getting a nice looking waistline involves building up my shoulders and letting my obliques waste a bit." I think that, for some body types (like mine) working on twisting moves is helpful, and things like side bends (especially weighted side bends like Chalene does) is just working against the look I'm trying for.
shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 02:52 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortie View Post
I hear you! All core work is good in terms of stability, injury prevention, strength, posture, etc. But, for looks . . . It just reminded me of a part of one of Jillian Michaels' books -- she says something like, "I'm actually relatively short and stocky, so getting a nice looking waistline involves building up my shoulders and letting my obliques waste a bit." I think that, for some body types (like mine) working on twisting moves is helpful, and things like side bends (especially weighted side bends like Chalene does) is just working against the look I'm trying for.
Yup, and she is SO right that building the shoulders really helps with the look. I work my shoulders not only because I LOVE the look of shoulder cuts, but because wider shoulders will balance with my ahem, bigger tushie, and make the waist appear trimmed in to boot!!

Old 06-05-09, 03:36 PM  
RachelleS

With doing CLX, I could use the 8# for some of the moves but for most of them, without hurting myself, 4# was the safest to use. Kettlenetics isn't a traditional kettlebell workout so you don't want to go heavy. I never injuried myself doing Kettlenetics but I did irritate my neck/shoulder doing regular kettlebells. Someday I need to find a class to take to work on my form if I ever want to do kettlebells regularly.

Rachelle
RachelleS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kettlenetics