Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-16, 11:18 AM  
pfhanna

Bosu ball questions? Where to buy, which one, etc???

Found some really nice workouts (youtube) for bosu ball. Who has one and which one is your favorite? Ideas of where to purchase? Thank you so much, Pam
Old 05-01-16, 12:09 PM  
Loriann

I have one that I have been trying to sell on Craig's List for a while now. We do not live in a Metropolitan area so my audience is limited. I would suggest looking there first.

I do enjoy my Bosu, but find it is a case of having too many choices. Maybe if Cathe incorporated it into some workouts I would be more inclined to pull it out. I have several Bosu DVDs but most are cardio. Maybe I would use it more if I used it for strength?

Lori
Old 05-01-16, 05:35 PM  
pfhanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriann View Post
I have one that I have been trying to sell on Craig's List for a while now. We do not live in a Metropolitan area so my audience is limited. I would suggest looking there first.

I do enjoy my Bosu, but find it is a case of having too many choices. Maybe if Cathe incorporated it into some workouts I would be more inclined to pull it out. I have several Bosu DVDs but most are cardio. Maybe I would use it more if I used it for strength?

Lori
Thank you for your reply but I am still wondering if others out there, who have purchased a Bosu ball, use it and is it worth the price. Thanks again, Pam.
Old 05-02-16, 08:21 AM  
owltx

I my BOSU ball. In a big, big way. It is a recent purchase for me - I had been wanting one for a while, but was waffling on the price. In November of last year I spotted one (the Pro) on an Amazon lightning deal and snatched it up. And I am so glad I did! One of my goals for this year was increasing my balance, and the BOSU has helped with that tremendously. There are a variety of ways I use it.

1) It came w/a DVD that is an overall BOSU type - some cardio, some body weight training, some balance. I don't really go back to that DVD but do incorporate some of those moves on a regular basis - in particular, standing tree and standing lunge/stretch. Good introduction into safety/mechanics.

2) BOSU specific DVDs. Because I am a vidiot, and had been wanting a BOSU for a while, I already had some BOSU type dvds (acquired on sale! great deals! ). Seasun Zieger's BOSU Blast (CIA 2604) is an absolute blast, an older one so great music and overall a lot of fun. However, I would wait until you are comfortable on the BOSU for a bit before doing this one - she doesn't go a lot info foot placement and you need to get your muscle memory trained into how to step on and up. The abs section on this is tough! Amy Bento's HiLo BOSU has a sweet little BOSU body weight section. You can youtube some great sections on BOSU as well (Rob Glick has some great moves). I then got a number of Mindy Myrlea's DVDs, because by far I would say she makes DVDs that incorporates the most BOSU. Her BOSU Total Body Blast is awesome - lots of great cardio and strength training moves. If you have never tried Mindy, she is great - no nonsense, straightforward moves. She is hard, but her workouts are, I think, easily broken down into shorter time periods so you can do just what you are up for that day. Others of hers that I enjoy that incorporate the BOSU: Workout!, Booty Camp, Intensity Overload with Toys.

3) Once I was comfortable with the BOSU, and had ideas on how to use it, I have been incorporating it into my regular routines. For example, I will use it in the place of the step for simple step cardio moves, such as Cathe's Cardio Leg Blast. This does several things: a) allows for lower impact step moves b) throws change at your body while doing typical step moves, upping intensity and balance and c)is more quiet than the step (important during the work week when everyone else in the household is sleeping in). I will also work it into strength DVDs, using it for light weight squats, lunges, hip thrusts, push ups, overheads, side planks, etc.

In short, for me, it was a great purchase. I think it would depend on how comfortable you would be on it. Do you do a lot of step now? If so, I think you would be pretty comfortable moving around on it for cardio. Is balance a priority for your training? The BOSU will make a difference. Do you have existing ankle issues? The BOSU may not be for you - you will be working your feet and ankles with the constant shifting on the BOSU. I love it for variety. I would definitely suggest Mindy's BOSU total body blast if you are getting a BOSU - really helped me expand my repertoire of BOSU moves into non-BOSU dvds.

HTH, good luck with your decision!
Old 05-02-16, 06:20 PM  
pfhanna

Thanks for your reply Stephanie and all. I would use the bosu for balance and sub for step. I did find some really nice bosu workouts on youtube and I am sure I can find others. It looks like a great investment just for abs, and I found a workout using it in pilates, as well as with weights. You have talked me into it and I am thankful since I needed that little push Thank you so much!!!
Old 05-02-16, 08:13 PM  
Irisg1

The bosu ball is something I had to have, but honestly, rarely use. I keep it around, because every now and then one of my workouts use it for core or balance work, but honesty, if I didn't have it, I wouldn't miss it.
Old 05-04-16, 02:58 PM  
Sandrine

Do you have a Tuesday Morning nearby? I was in mine on Sunday, and saw a piece of equipment that looks like a more compact version of a Bosu. Sorry, I didn't notice the brand name or price.

I believe Target, which is where I purchased mine, still carries them, for around $100. It is a fun piece of equipment, but a bit of a space hog. Fun to sub in on step workouts.
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-16, 10:53 AM  
pfhanna

Thanks Sandrine for your reply. My thought was to use it in place of step and balance and abs. I was thinking it may be a space problem but I will work it out. I found one, online, at Dick's for $100 with free shipping, and if you sign up for email you get another 10% off. I am "thrifty" so I do a lot of shopping around before I purchase anything
Old 05-05-16, 03:18 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Pamela,

I have BOSU Total Body Blast that has been on my trade list for a long time. If you end up getting a BOSU send me a PM and I will send it to you for a SASE.

Leslie

ETA: I got rid of my BOSU about a year ago. I used to do Seasun's BOSU Blast orkout on it and thought it was a lot of fun. I just didn't use the BOSU that much as I had other toys to keep me busy. Since it was taking up room I decided to sell it.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-16, 04:05 PM  
pfhanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Pamela,

I have BOSU Total Body Blast that has been on my trade list for a long time. If you end up getting a BOSU send me a PM and I will send it to you for a SASE.

Leslie

ETA: I got rid of my BOSU about a year ago. I used to do Seasun's BOSU Blast orkout on it and thought it was a lot of fun. I just didn't use the BOSU that much as I had other toys to keep me busy. Since it was taking up room I decided to sell it.
Thank you for your generous offer. I am still shopping and deciding!!!!