Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-17-20, 06:35 PM  
Leonana

Today was WS3 Tone and Flow. I was in the mood for some fusion toning. This one has some good balance moves in it.

Welcome, Tracy! I have to admit, WS3 is advanced for me, so I think you're still at a pretty good level. I would love to use the mobile vet, we have used them for end of life for two of our dogs. It was so much more peaceful. But the hubby wasn't on board for spending that much money for vaccinations. I'm going to get a better carrier. I think the ones that open from the top would work a lot better. I also stopped coloring my hair a few years ago, and I keep it shoulder length. It's about 50/50 gray. I pretend it's highlights, lol.

Donna, I checked out the Budget Dermatologist. I'm looking forward to watching some of her videos. I also put Pahla's video in my watch later section. I did watch her video on anxiety and could relate to a lot of it, although I had it worse at age 59, and she struggled with it during perimenopause.
Old 10-17-20, 10:41 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Today was Cardio Interval Sculpt from WS3. I'm on week 4 of the master rotation, so two more weeks to go and then I'll have to figure out what to do next.

Welcome Tracy! I've had rotator cuff issues for 30+ years from an old injury I have managed to avoid surgery but have to be careful with certain exercises. I find Jessica is just the right difficulty level for me, so even though I do workouts from other trainers now and then, I always go back to Jessica. I've never done any Cathe so I can't compare, but what I have seen of her stuff seems very advanced and too intense for me at this point.

Donna, I haven't done anything with my hair since February. It's shoulder length now. I haven't had hair this long in years and I'm having fun with it. I also haven't dyed it since February since I've been working from home and have no reason to. I have been getting compliments on my natural color, so I'm thinking I'll just stop dyeing it, even when/if I ever go back to the office.

Sherry, If you aren't enjoying the lunches with your friends, then you're doing the right thing by no longer attending. People are so polarized these days that it's tough to maintain some friendships and I'm afraid that's not going to improve anytime soon.

Pam, Thanks for the tip on the Minimal Mom. I'll have to check that out.
Old 10-18-20, 08:02 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I missed yesterday's check in, here's what I have been doing:

Saturday:

Jenny Ford - You Tube - Live Step For Beginners - she filmed this outside of her home. I think she filmed these in April/May when everyone was in lock down. She has a few other longer and more intermediate/advanced workouts on her channel, too. I went w/ beginner b/c it has been awhile since I did step and it was also shorter at 30-ish minutes. I want to incorporate step at least once a week - it really ups my cardio more than march/walking workouts.

Jane Adams - Yoga for Beginners - Floor Practice - what can I say - a nice restorative practice, good scenery....

Outdoor walk

Sunday:

Ellen B - all from her streaming site - Upper Body Blast, Quick Fix (which is her new one for this month - all floorwork) and Zen Stretch

My DD is competing in a horse show today so in a little while I'll go over to watch and that will probably be it for me.

Random thoughts:

Welcome, Tracy - it is good to have you here!

I started to let my hair grow out in January b/c I was tired of it being short so quarantine came at a good time - LOL! I think it looks better this way - so I will definitely be keeping it on the longer side. I had cut it back when my DD started school b/c I just didn't want to blow dry it and having it long and air drying it made me cold when having to take her to school. My DD is now a senior in H.S., LOL! I have had it at various lengths from shoulder length bob to shorter bob - and now it is about shoulder length. It is naturally curly so I don't style or blow dry - just air dry. I haven't had to go out w/ wet hair yet since we have been working from home since March. But, I think even if we go back in the winter I'll still keep it longer...I think it looks better.

Sherry, I agree about skipping the lunches, if you aren't enjoying them - why bother - you can fill your time w/ things you enjoy more.

I like the Budget Dermatologist - she doesn't have many videos up yet - and her advice is pretty much what you'd expect to hear, but I still enjoy listening.

I do have to check out Minimal Mom

And, speaking of anxiety - I don't know what is up w/ me if it is anxiety or what, but my sleep is just terrible - I feel that all night I'm just 'cat napping'

Anyone have any suggestions on better sleep? I suppose I should do the dreaded cutting back on caffeine to hopefully reduce anxiety and improve sleep - but I just love my coffee...

I was thinking about trying herbal tea at night or melatonin or maybe trying some restorative stretching. I dunno...I fall asleep fine, but then I keep waking up and can't go back to sleep.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-20, 04:33 PM  
TracyQ

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Today I did a fantastic 45-minute Peleton Cycling class followed by a Five Park Yoga Deep Relaxation Yoga. It’s a very relaxing 30 minute stretch. Here’s a link for those that might be interested in trying it. https://youtu.be/ZsL72WDNYI8.

I also got a walk in yesterday and today. My walks are important for my mental health.

Donna—I don’t sleep well at all. At my last check up which was in August my doctor said she could prescribe something but I passed. I’m 57 and don’t take any prescriptions and don’t want to start. Even though I always thought I needed a lot more sleep, I’m surprised how well I manage even when up up worrying half the night. 2020 has really been the worst year ever.

I have that Jane Adams Yoga dvd and like it very much.

Wishiwasinhawaii—love the name. I’m not following a Jessica rotation but I am going to stick with her workouts for weight training until I build some strength. Part of the problem is my physical therapy got cut short due to Covid and even though I stretched it and did PT at home it’s not the same as going there and my shoulder is very stiff and weak. My doctor said to just keep working at it....sigh I have the most trouble with overhead movements. At least I’m pain free now.

Leonana—I’m not sure I’ve ever done Tone and Flow. Looking forward to trying that one. I bought a lot and traded for some of Jessica’s workouts when I first injured my shoulder. That was before I knew I was going to have to have surgery. After surgery I was laid up for months so I never got around to doing them. I really like her as an instructor. She has a leg workout on YouTube that rivals some of Cathe’s leg workouts and IMO Cathe is the leg workout queen.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-20, 06:47 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

This morning I did Core Control and later did Poise and Grace, both from WS2. I also walked for a half hour and did a 10 minute indoor bike ride.

Tracy, I've been to PT many times for my shoulder. The most recent time there were a lot of others there who had the rotator cuff surgery and they all told me how stiff and painful it gets. I remember the PTs sometimes had use all their body weight to stretch some of them out. So I imagine it must be even tougher to stretch out on your own. Glad to hear you don't have the pain now. Will you be going back to PT? Thanks for the link to the stretch. I will give that a try.

Donna, I don't drink coffee, but I've had some trouble with sleep, although it's been better lately. It started when the pandemic did, so I know it's related to that, but I've realized lately that worrying about that and everything else is pointless because it's out of my control. This too shall pass.

Waves Sherry and Pam!
Old 10-18-20, 11:05 PM  
Leonana

Today was a 15 Minute Reps to the Rhythm walk from You Tube. He's such a cheerful young man, the walk sort of cheered me up. A bit dancey for me with my two left feet, but I kept up. Then I did 45 minutes on my stationary bike while I watched videos.

Tracy, I really like Jessica as an instructor too. I workout for stress relief, and I find her comforting, and she is the right intensity for me. I think I know that leg workout! It's 40 minutes and a real killer, lol. Jessica was more advanced when she first started doing dvd's, and her earlier you tube workouts are also harder. As time passed, I think she realized most of her audience wanted something less intense.

wishiwasinhawaii, it sounds like one positive from the quarantine is that you discovered don't need to die your hair. That's great you got compliments on it.

Donna, I have the same problem. I fall asleep, then wake up sort of panicked, with my heart racing. I find that it's worse every other night. The second night I'm tired, so I sleep better. On nights I'm tossing and turning, I get up and read for an hour or so. Then I can fall asleep when I go back to bed. I'm still tired the next day from being up late, but I get some sleep. I've read that even if we're not sleeping, just laying in bed with our eyes closed will rest our bodies. Sometimes that helps me to not get anxious about not sleeping. But it's getting to the point where even my bedroom is making me anxious, it's reminding me of not sleeping at night. I need to practice more meditation, that usually relaxes me. Also, sometimes I can fall asleep listening to a podcast. I guess it tricks my mind, as I'm actually trying to listen, then I fall asleep. There is a podcast called Happiness Spells, where she repeats happy and comforting phrases. That helps me fall asleep sometimes. I just keep trying different things, and usually one will work.

As for caffeine, I have been drinking half caf. I have a half cup of caffeine and half decaf. Then my second cup is decaf. I probably should go to decaf completely, but haven't made the leap yet. I am dragging all day when I don't have caffeine!
Old 10-19-20, 08:16 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday was a full day at the horse show w/ my DD. She did pretty well, she placed 8th and her horse was well behaved, which is not usual for him, LOL! He did kick her at one point though so she has a big bruise.

Anyway...today was:

Pahla B - Knee Friendly Cardio - I wasn't sure what I wanted to do this morning and decided to go w/ Pahla for her basic workouts and her positive personality. This was a typical routine from her, but still, fun to do.

Moving Mango - a new-to-me Pilates channel. I tried her Day 1 of her 90 day Fall Challenge today. The full workout is 1 hour, but she has it broken into two parts, so I did the first part. It was a nice practice. She seems to be nice and calm and encouraging. It makes me wonder, how would I feel if I did 90 days of Pilates in a row?

Sherry - we are twins in our sleep disturbances - that is exactly what happens to me. I will have 1-2 bad nights, and then the next night I'll be so tired I will sleep. I do wake up w/ my mind racing and all that just as you said. I also get up and read. So - is it anxiety? hormones? or just having a lot on our minds? I admit I'm anxious about my daughter and her college apps and what is going to happen w/ this virus and next year for school, etc. etc. Basically, all stuff I have little to no control over so I probably do need to work on my mind more than anything else. I also think this is almost like a 'habit' our bodies get into - I know last year I had even more things to be worried about than I do now so I just wonder if my body has just gotten into this pattern of anxiety?

wishiwasinhawaii -nice workuts! And, you are right, pretty much everything we worry about is out of our control.

Tracy - I'm sorry you don't sleep well either. It does take a toll on your energy levels....I haven't done Five Parks in quite some time, I will have to put it on my list....

Waves, Pam!

Hope everyone has a good start to the week.

Donna
Old 10-19-20, 01:51 PM  
Leonana

Today was 21 Day Tred and Shed. I don't usually do walks with weights, but I was in the mood for something different today. This was a pretty good strength workout.

Donna, CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) has helped me the most. Research has shown that CBT actually changes the circuits in our brains. When we change our thoughts, it changes our brains physically. I also think it works the opposite, the more we have anxiety, the more our brains are programmed to be anxious. I had a horrible time with anxiety a year ago. I was fortunate to have a couple of counseling sessions that started me on the right track. Then I bought a CBT workbook, which was a godsend. I started reprogramming my brain back to being less anxious. However, COVID has been somewhat of a setback, obviously. And I still have situational anxiety wrt having my blood pressure taken.

However, my sleep has been affected due to the pandemic. I think that is a natural reaction for most of us, and anxiety due to a situation, not generalized anxiety. However, eventually it could lead to generalized anxiety, without recognizing how our thoughts affect our brains.

There was lots of information in the workbook that helped me, but one point was especially helpful. No situation is 100% good or bad. No matter how bad the situation, there will always be a positive. We've pointed out some positives in the thread during this pandemic - working from home, etc. Recognizing that took away some of the fear of future events.

I also think I'm a Highly Sensitive Person, and am reading a book about it. We take on everyone else's problems. I try to remember that wrt my daughter. Of course, she's 19, so a different situation from your daughter. But in the end, they are in control, not us, and will have to make the decisions about their future. I have to realize I don't have control, and I can't let it overwhelm me. Easier said than done I know! One thing that helps me is to focus on the positives about my dd, everything she has done well. Also, CBT says we tend to be fortune tellers, trying to predict the future. However, we don't know the future. Most likely the worst is not going to happen, and there is just as much of a chance of a positive outcome as a negative one. Reminding myself of those things at night calms me down, and puts me into a more positive frame of mind, and I feel more peaceful.

Okay, I'll take my counseling hat off, lol. Writing it out has helped me too.
Old 10-20-20, 07:39 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday was a bit of a disaster - we had a plumbing issue that needed to be addressed ASAP (our pressure tank was leaking) so in between trying to work I was trying to find a plumber who could come ASAP. My regular plumber couldn't make it, my back-up plumber (family business) was on vacation...so I just kept calling and reading Google reviews until I found someone - who was good, prompt and reasonable! We got a quote from him for some other work we need to have done - so maybe the silver lining is that I found a good and affordable plumber. My regular service is good, but they are pricey - this job would have cost at least 1.5/2X what we were charged from the new place.

Then, I had to go get my flu shot.

Since I always feel a bit off after the flu shot I took it easy today -

Jessica Valent - Gentle Pilates - one of her newer workouts. It slower moving and good for beginners.

I was going to so something else but my arm hurts to lift and I just generally feel draggy today.

I have an eye appointment this afternoon - so after that I may go out for a walk since I expect to be feeling better!!

Sherry - thanks for all that info! What book did you use? The anxiety coach/therapist my DD saw last year used CBT - so all of that makes a lot of sense. And, everything you said is 100% correct. It is interesting that when we try to predict the future we almost always imagine something bad happening, when, as you said, something good can happen too!

Waves, everyone ---

Donna
Old 10-20-20, 08:26 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

Welcome Tracy!!!

Sunday, my hair was in a ponytail and I took the scissors to it, LOL. Now it's just below by bra line. I haven't colored my hair in over a year, and that's saying something (from this former hairdresser!)

Monday, was only 30 minutes on the treadmill.

Tracy, I also don't sleep well. I just ordered a fitbit watch to track my sleep (if I can wear it at night.) Sorry about your rotator cuff injury and then surgery. I have frozen shoulder, so still not 100 percent yet. I really notice when doing yoga, but it's better than it was a year ago!

We're doing a Halloween event tonight in Bristol. I hope the people are sparse and weather will keep a few folks away! Not DH, though!

https://www.coggeshallfarm.org/event/phantoms-and-fire/

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jessica smith get strong