Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-18, 07:46 PM  
Genevieve M

What is WRONG with me????

Hi,

I have been a long-time VF-er and, up until about two years ago, was a happy home exerciser - Cathe, KBKB, my boy Bob Harper. I always looked forward to my weekly and weekend workouts.

Struggled with a serious bout of depression about two years ago and was hospitalized. With a lot of great medical care, I am back in the mainstream of society, working and paying bills.

The only thing missing from this equation is that I don't have the interest or urge to work out anymore. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you think turning 60 has anything to do with it?

I have a great home gym set up and it kills me that I can never make working out a priority anymore.

Also, as you have gotten older, do you find it's harder to gain muscle?

Thanks for any insights you can give.
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-18, 09:24 PM  
BunnyHop

This past year all I've done consistently is walking (last winter& spring) and Jari Love's original Get Ripped.

I do an episode of CS or some Melt Method work every few days, but don't really feel consistent with it.

For some reason the utter simplicity of Get Ripped is working for me just now.
I do find that when I'm not in the mood and/or just feel tired, that going lower on the weights helps me just get it done. I put my step and weights out and have the dvd pre-loaded in the player so all I have to do is get up and do it.

I like feeling strong, and I do feel I've begun rebuilding muscle lately. I'd actually been doing it every other day for a while, being careful not to lift too heavy, but kinda slipped in the past week or so. Lots going on in life and weirdly enough being able to sleep more in the mornings has disrupted my workout routine. Used to wake up super early and just get out of bed to do a workout rather than lie there. Guess I've learned how to roll over and go back to sleep? It's been a few years since I was able so maybe I'm entitled to indulge for a bit.

I'm looking forward to cooler temperatures, though, I want to walk outside.
Old 08-30-18, 09:28 PM  
DCW

Hello!
For me, I got out of the habit of working out. I never did DVDs and Classical Stretch was recommended to me. Now I do an episode every morning 6-7x a week. I mix it up with a walking buddy at work, another friend and I meet up for walks in a park by a river, I take boot camp classes at a rec center.

I say all of this to encourage you to find a new way to move. It might be dancing, taking up a new sport, or finding an exercise/walking buddy.

I will confess that I never feel like getting out of bed to exercise using a dvd but once I start I am ok. When I finished I am glad I did it. In the beginning, I did start sleeping in exercise clothes so I had no excuse not to exercise. LOL!

You will get back in the grove!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-18, 09:31 PM  
DCW

Hey Anna,
It's harder for me to get up now because it's dark in the morning now rather than daybreak.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-18, 04:39 AM  
cecififi

Hi Genevieve,

Thanks for sharing about your experience. Whenever I am having a life struggle or challenge and am feeling down - no matter how much I love my workouts - I just can't do them. When my spirit lifts again, my motivation is re-ignited but it takes some effort. Research around motivation
says that not until you are actually in the activity, will you start to feel motivated so waiting to feel in the mood may not be the best strategy to get back into things. I am wondering if you may have 'lost' the habit of exercising and are looking for the motivation to do it. If this is the case, perhaps just doing it - maybe 15 minutes a day to get back into the habit of it might help. I could be way off here. I am just trying to brainstorm.

And yes, as we age it is harder to gain muscle. I lift quite heavy weights at the ripe age of 52 and have some good muscle definition in my arms and legs. Its hidden behind a wall of fat on my belly, however
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-18, 08:55 AM  
BunnyHop

Oh, and I do seem to benefit from doing just a little something when I'm not feeling motivated.

A short segment of yoga is better than nothing, and tends to lead me to do more through the day.

This morning, though, all I did was meditate and get a shower. Feeling kind of dizzy and light headed, sorta sick-y and figured I'd better just hold off on physical exertion. Might even go take a nap as the chance presents itself.
Old 08-31-18, 09:18 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve M View Post
Hi, I hav been a long-time VF-er and, up until about two years ago, was a happy home exerciser - Cathe, KBKB, my boy Bob Harper. I always looked forward to my weekly and weekend workouts.
Struggled with a serious bout of depression about two years ago and was hospitalized. With a lot of great medical care, I am back in the mainstream of society, working and paying bills.
The only thing missing from this equation is that I don't have the interest or urge to work out anymore. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you think turning 60 has anything to do with it?
I have a great home gym set up and it kills me that I can never make working out a priority anymore.
Also, as you have gotten older, do you find it's harder to gain muscle?
Thanks for any insights you can give.
Genevieve, I'm sorry you have had to go through such a hard time. I feel that if you came through that, you can do almost anything! You should think about stress-free and dread-free workouts that make you feel good. Don't focus on big rotations. I hope you don't hate Leslie Sansone because she has been a major slump-buster in my life.

If you can do one Leslie mile per day, you'll be surprised how quickly it will become a habit. Her 1-milers average about 12-14 minutes. I like her original "Walk Away the Pounds" set and her "5-Day Slim Down:"

http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...ew.php?id=2585

I'm 62 and do find it harder to build muscle. I still keep trying though!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-18, 09:18 AM  
Aunt Famous

Hey, Genevieve.

Your post resonated with me. I find that even with a fully stocked home gym and an unlimited membership to a nearby yoga facility, I am currently having difficulty with motivation. I walk almost every day, lift weights at Planet Fitness a few nights a week, and force myself to attend a gentle yoga class every Monday -- but compared to my old schedule, I feel like a slacker. Where's the Pilates? Where are the kettlebells?

I became an empty nester in May, lost my beloved dog in June, and turned 50 in July. I spent almost every summer weekend escaping from home and traveling.

I am tired.

Is it any wonder?

I had a trainer once who told me that you can only handle so many things at one time, so if you're having some personal or emotional difficulties, take it easy on yourself -- cut back on workouts, do what you can, take care of yourself.

I am also reminded of a quote that I love: Some years ask all the questions. Some years provide the answers.

Cobbling these two together, I am proud of myself for doing something, even if I'm not the home-exercising-beast from days of yore. I am also proud of myself for getting more sleep, working on my anxiety levels, and really trying to eat a whole lot better. These things count, too.

Yes, I have much trouble gaining and retaining muscle. You're not alone. I have counterbalanced that trouble with the fact that I'm having an easier time of gaining and retaining perspective. I have had some medical testing this year for heart and stomach pains that turned out normal (thank heavens), but the pains themselves probably came from stress and anxiety. At 50, I have decided that I have to focus on health, not all the aesthetics/bathing suit/weight crap of the rest of my life so far. If I need to take it easier on myself -- hey! I'm doing something. And something always beats nothing.

Hang in there, friend. You're not alone.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-18, 09:20 AM  
sbh

Three years ago I felt the same way. Stress of life just sucked me in. I just did not want to do traditional workouts. So, I started adult beginner ballet. A whole new different concept of moving. It definitely kept my interest because there is so much to remember when executing the movements. Then I sprained my ankle and had to stop ballet for almost a year, but I still wanted to keep moving and found my way back to traditional workouts again. So now I do a combo of both and I really like it. I'm 56 now and I have made muscle gains. Still have that post menopausal belly, but we have become friends now.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-18, 09:21 AM  
Demeris

For most of us it's MUCH harder to gain muscle after 60. Our minerals are all out of balance--for a variety of reasons. Our digestive system doesn't work the way it did when we were younger. Our endocrine system has shifted into granny gear (for those of you who remember driving standard transmission).

I am on a quest to build muscle, and I believe it can be done, but it requires rebalancing our minerals--which is a diet & supplement topic which is not allowed, for very good reason.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
restart