Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-18, 11:11 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I love Norwex liquid detergent on my clothes, find its good for odor control. It's expensive but you don't use very much, especially if you have a front loader. I use Arm & Hammer unscented for everything else. I also use vinegar in place of fabric softener and double rinse.
I forgot I double rinse too. It seems one rinse doesn't get all the detergent out of the clothes. Or maybe I use too much detergent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I tried white vinegar for my workout clothes but it didn't help. Maybe I didn't use enough? I never use liquid fabric softener anymore after working at a coffee shop/laundromat and seeing how the liquid fabric softener ate away the enamel on the machines. I don't want that on my skin! I do use Bounce fragrance free dryer sheets though. It helps get off the dog hair that held on even through the washing.

Sherry, how much baking soda do you put in a load of laundry?
I've never noticed vinegar helping either. But I sometimes put it in the softener dispenser in the washing machine. I have a hard time with sweat smell in dh's work clothes. I finally just started spraying Shout stain remover on the underarm and neck area, and that seems to help. It does leave a slight fragrance, since the Shout has fragrance, but it's not enough to bother me. I also use a dryer sheet with fragrance on his clothes only, he's not allergic.

But I use fragrance free dryer sheets on the rest of the clothes and linens. I tear them in half, as a half sheet seems to work and it saves money.

The Arm & Hammer baking soda bag has directions on it for how much to put in your laundry. I usually put in a cup per load. That's why I like the big bag from Costco, it lasts longer and is cheaper.
Old 07-22-18, 02:23 PM  
Vantreesta

Thanks, Sherry!

I really only have to double rinse dog laundry. Mine never seems to need it, but I am more liberal with the detergent on theirs.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-18, 02:24 PM  
marki64

I like All detergent too. I like the Fresh Rain scent. I find what really helps reduce the stink, is washing your workout clothes immediately after you work out.

I learned that with an HE wash machine you only need a small amount of detergent. My clothes are much cleaner with less detergent and use just a little fabric softner. I agree that the Affresh wash machine cleaner helps get the residue out of the tub and clothes are cleaner. Keep your wash machine door up or open, that reduces mildew smell.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-18, 05:57 PM  
killoffsonny

Your husband probably would freak out but we only use equal parts baking sodal and vinegar. It has not odor at all. And we mostly wash in cold water.
Old 07-22-18, 07:27 PM  
ncl

I use Molly Suds brand laundry detergent, no discernible scent to me. I am so used to unscented that when DSD comes home and uses her detergent, I almost feel sick smelling it, so strong and perfumey! ICK!

https://www.mollyssuds.com
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-18, 03:02 PM  
GeekyGirl

I use soap nuts. If I want scent, I add about 10 drops of an essential oil. If I need extra cleaning power, I use Branch Basics (which I use for all cleaning and dish washing). When I need to clean my washing machine, I run a cup of white vinegar through it. I also make sure to leave the door open at least overnight after doing laundry to let the interior dry.
GeekyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-18, 11:58 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncl View Post
I use Molly Suds brand laundry detergent, no discernible scent to me. I am so used to unscented that when DSD comes home and uses her detergent, I almost feel sick smelling it, so strong and perfumey! ICK!

https://www.mollyssuds.com
Those look nice! They have a lot of products on their website, and an All Sports Laundry Wash too.
Old 07-28-18, 02:52 PM  
JulieIL

I second Linda's suggestion to check out Affresh washer cleaner, especially if you have a front loading machine. Also, keep washer door open when not in use (unless you have little ones around).

I use just a bit of Febreeze laundry additive, and it has helped. I also double rinse when clothes are particularly stinky.

Julie
JulieIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-18, 04:03 PM  
upperwside

I use Persil and plain old vinegar for softener. My clothes smell clean.. Not like perfume or over fragranced.

I love Persil, started using it when I lived in Europe.. Gets everything so clean.. And I only use cold water.. For environmental reasons.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-18, 05:31 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieIL View Post
I second Linda's suggestion to check out Affresh washer cleaner, especially if you have a front loading machine. Also, keep washer door open when not in use (unless you have little ones around).
Julie
I just bought some Affresh washer cleaner & wipes to try. I always leave my washer door open when it’s not in use, that really helps. I don’t think I’d buy a front loading machine again, never had odor issues with a top loader.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote