Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-01-18, 11:38 AM  
JulieIL

You've gotten some good suggestions, but I wanted to chime in to voice support, as well as send healing and reassuring thoughts.

Someone close to me has been dealing with this, so I can only imagine how difficult it can be. Therapy (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, specifically ACT) has been extremely beneficial to this person.

You may also explore group support, either guided by a therapist (google "Anxiety support group" your city) or even as a Meet-Up group (I was surprised to find Meet-up groups (google "Meet Up," then search your city with key word "Anxiety" or "Support"). I even found a walk/jog group that incorporated mindfulness- time didn't work but would have been beneficial to get input from trained therapist, as well as meet other participants.

The app "Pacifica" offers mindfulness training and practical exercises, as well as an online support community. My Ob/Gyn shared that, adding privately that she had been experiencing panic attacks before seeking help- I've been seeing her for years and never would have envisioned that being an issue for her. She tucks into her office for literally 5 minutes and uses the Pacifica sessions (as short as a few minutes- include music and visual cues).

The books: "Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life" and "The Happiness Trap" were beneficial, though depression was part of the picture in my situation (anxiety likely at core, which led to isolation/avoidance coping, which led to self issues).

Please take care. <<hugs>>

Julie
JulieIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 07:19 PM  
lorajc

Thanks Julie and everyone else..... haven't had time to look anything up yet...need to.

Right now.....I can't go for therapy due to finances but I really appreciate the info and may look into it in the future if I can afford it.

I still have to look up Somatics, etc. For now I'm still practicing breathing during yoga and relaxing at night on my infared heating pad....other than that...my breathing is still horrible and I get more nervous when I notice it and I guess you could say I do panic and hyperventilate.....geez.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 05:24 PM  
Fidget Queen

I think my original answer totally missed the mark - sorry, I didn't quite understand what you were saying.

I've had severe anxiety and panic for almost 10 years now. And I'll say - paying attention to it has always made it worse. I do my most healing when I manage to just say "screw it" and kind of move on to other things.

That's one of the reasons I love Kundalini - it allows you to do breathing exercising without forcing yourself to "relax". Breath of Fire is awesome for that!
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 12:27 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

(((Hugs))) You're definitely not alone!
This year will be my discovery to heal myself!

ETA: I've found Kundalini Yoga also to be *very* benefitial for my anxiety! That and long walks (we recently got a puppy ) are my go-to things right now! (Plus healthy eating, plenty of sleep, etc.)

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote