Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-16, 10:34 AM  
antbuko

I hated last night's episode. Don't know if I can get past it. I thought Glen's first death was far more heroic. I could have lived with that. The excessive violence did nothing for me, although I get that the episode was about taming Rick.
Old 10-24-16, 01:26 PM  
acey

I too understand the need to "tame" Rick and to hammer (bash) home the point that people's capacity for evil and brutality know no bounds. But I'm also beginning to feel really, really manipulated as a viewer. I didn't cry my eyes out like I did with previous major deaths. Even when I teared up at the dream scene of a brighter future, I felt manipulated. "Nyah nyah see what could have been? Aren't you sad, viewer?"

A death like Tyreese's, for example, was poignant. The actual death was filmed discreetly and respectfully, not all in your face. Yes, I know, the point is that Negan is just beyond the beyonds evil and now they have to figure it out.

At this point all that's keeping me watching is the acting - I love these cast members (saw some of them at a NY Times Talk) - such class acts, obviously tight-knit and they regularly rise above the writing, which itself is the reason I feel so exploited so unnecessarily. It feels like Negan is just this narrative tool. If his group is so universally far-reaching that they could magically block every road the group tried to take to Hilltop, how come we NEVER heard of them til now - what with Alexandria, the Wolves, and the other groups? How could Jesus not know that the idea of killing what Rick thought was the core of the Saviors at the compound was a very bad idea? It's like Negan and his group just magically appeared and multiplied.

Sorry to rant.
Old 10-24-16, 01:32 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey View Post
... It feels like Negan is just this narrative tool. If his group is so universally far-reaching that they could magically block every road the group tried to take to Hilltop, how come we NEVER heard of them til now - ...
I'm right there with ya. Makes no sense to me.
Old 10-24-16, 03:25 PM  
MARIKA

I thought the episode was way to much too. I was thinking the same thing about a lot of people being really disgusted by the pointless violence. I find Neegan or whatever his name is to be to stressful to enjoy watching the show. I never read the comics and I don't live in a zombie world, I just can't wrap my head around humans treating humans they don't even know like that?? can't we all just get along?
Old 10-24-16, 03:30 PM  
mandie123

I had to look away the whole time!
Old 10-24-16, 05:32 PM  
Stephanie_B

Knowing Lucille was going to bash brains, I didn't really look or not look. I didn't want Glenn to go as I like the character...but I told DH that. He'd told me all summer Abraham. So we were both right and wrong. It didn't really gross me out more or less, but honestly the rotting pus filled corpses grossed me out more and the stretch neck dude.

I didn't think Jeffrey could play Negan with out me seeing him as a hottie...but oh he did and it was grand.

That said, I didn't miss the show. Every year it's less and less.

I did watch the Strain and I guess I should try other shows, but very few things interest me enough for long,

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 06:37 PM  
T2B

Last night TWD was devastating and brutal to watch. I teared up every time I thought about what Glen said to Maggie. And I was mad that they are still writing the Daryl character as though he can not control his emotions after all this time. Daryl is the reason that Glen was killed.

I was not impressed with Negan's dialogue either, it was just cruel and unnecessary and those people that are following him? Unbelievable. The old line about what it means to live in a world after an apocalypse is b.s. Everyone is going to be an evil, sociopathic jerk?

I'm still undecided as to how much longer I want to watch this show. It continues to be about what they can do to brutalize and destroy Rick. I don't want to see that.

And, Robert Kirkman comes across as a smug jerk every time I see him on The Talking Dead.

I won't be watching this on Sunday nights anymore. I do not want to start my work week depressed and sad or mad because of a tv show. Boo, hiss.

joy, love
peace and patience
kindness with goodness
faithfulness & gentleness
self-control
- Motivational Sticker

Now: XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating (Generic) 7/22/22 - 10/24/22
Peak Fit System: 6/3/22 - 7/21/22 *** STS/LIS 90 Day Undulating: 11/19/21 - 2/12/22 *** 6 Week Fusion XTRAIN: 5/17/21 - 6/27/21 *** Body Beast: 12/21/20 - 3/18/21 *** STS: 1/29/20 - 5/3/20 *** Fit Tower/LIS/ICE/ 90 Day: 10/29/19 - 1/19/20 *** XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating: 7/29/19 - 10/25/19
T2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 08:16 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2B View Post
... I won't be watching this on Sunday nights anymore. I do not want to start my work week depressed and sad or mad because of a tv show. Boo, hiss.
Yeah, my tv viewing has shifted quite a lot in the past six months or so. On Sundays, the only thing I'm watching nowadays is Elementary, but I'm guessing there will eventually be something else as the new season gets going.
Old 10-24-16, 08:33 PM  
hypnomoon

The show started to lose its appeal to me last year. It no longer was my favorite show. I didn't long for this premier either.

And, I do feel like my emotions are toyed with. Last night's show was horrific. There was no entertainment value in it at all. I'm going to question whether I'll continue on with it or not.

I gave up on FTWD a long time ago. I just couldn't care for any of the characters. Madison did get on my nerves too.
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-16, 03:44 PM  
JulieIL

Yikes- probably the most brutal gore I've ever seen on TV, though Game of Thrones has had a few moments...

We're also feeling lukewarm towards this season. I think part of the appeal of TWD was seeing the group, people from different backgrounds that pre-ZA wouldn't have crossed paths, work together to rise above zombies, and the occasional bad person/people. But there was an underlying current of hopefulness, that there were still good people in the world, and the message that we still need one another.

This episode was just overwhelmingly negative, as if all the goodness of the world has been overrun by sinister, cruel bullies that are just too powerful to overcome.

Instead of connecting as a family while we watched (i know, it's not meant to be a family show), we were left almost shellshocked, with high schooler DS actually leaving to do homework.

I don't watch much TV, so I'll continue watching, but I definitely miss some of the underlying optimism of the previous seasons.
JulieIL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
way off topic