Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-16, 10:12 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
http://smile.amazon.com/finum-Drip-C...brewing+basket

Is something like this what you use, Bunnyhop?

Donna
Like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Finum-Brewing-...brewing+basket

I'd put the coffee in a glass measuring cup, add the boiling water, let it steep, then put the basket in my coffee cup and pour the grounds/water mixture into the coffee cup. Quick and easy way to filter out the coffee.

Works fine, tastes great, but if you're looking for a cup of coffee with no little bits of coffee in the bottom, you might want to go with the drip cone or Aeropress styles of brewing.

I don't drink coffee these days, somehow I lost my taste for it (and I'm prone to caffeine related sleep issues), so I'd kind of forgotten what I'd do back when. HTH!
Old 04-09-16, 12:22 AM  
videofit

Some of you may find this information useful:

"Coffee contains a substance called cafestol that is a potent stimulator of LDL-cholesterol levels (12). Cafestol is found in the oily fraction of coffee, and when you brew coffee with a paper filter, the cafestol gets left behind in the filter. Other methods of coffee preparation, such as the boiled coffee common in Scandinavian countries, French press coffee, or Turkish coffee, are much higher in cafestol. So for people who have high cholesterol levels or who want to prevent having high cholesterol levels, it is better to choose paper filtered coffee or instant coffee, since they have much lower levels of cafestol than boiled or French press coffee. Espresso is somewhere in the middle; it has less cafestol than boiled or French press coffee, but more than paper filtered coffee."
Old 04-11-16, 10:26 AM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Finum-Brewing-...brewing+basket

I'd put the coffee in a glass measuring cup, add the boiling water, let it steep, then put the basket in my coffee cup and pour the grounds/water mixture into the coffee cup. Quick and easy way to filter out the coffee.

Works fine, tastes great, but if you're looking for a cup of coffee with no little bits of coffee in the bottom, you might want to go with the drip cone or Aeropress styles of brewing.

I don't drink coffee these days, somehow I lost my taste for it (and I'm prone to caffeine related sleep issues), so I'd kind of forgotten what I'd do back when. HTH!
OK. Thank you!

Quote:
"Coffee contains a substance called cafestol that is a potent stimulator of LDL-cholesterol levels (12). Cafestol is found in the oily fraction of coffee, and when you brew coffee with a paper filter, the cafestol gets left behind in the filter. Other methods of coffee preparation, such as the boiled coffee common in Scandinavian countries, French press coffee, or Turkish coffee, are much higher in cafestol. So for people who have high cholesterol levels or who want to prevent having high cholesterol levels, it is better to choose paper filtered coffee or instant coffee, since they have much lower levels of cafestol than boiled or French press coffee. Espresso is somewhere in the middle; it has less cafestol than boiled or French press coffee, but more than paper filtered coffee."
I had not heard about this before, but I will keep it mind. Thanks.

I haven't bought anything yet. I'm drinking tea for now, until I figure which coffee maker I really want. I still have my old Cuisinart drip brewing machine, but I'm reluctant to pull it out of storage. I drank less coffee (my goal) when I was using the French press, so I was wanting something sort of similar.

Thanks for all your help, everyone!

Donna
Old 04-11-16, 12:34 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
I'm drinking tea for now, until I figure which coffee maker I really want. I still have my old Cuisinart drip brewing machine, but I'm reluctant to pull it out of storage. I drank less coffee (my goal) when I was using the French press, so I was wanting something sort of similar.
I am a tea drinker but have added one cup of coffee into my routine since it's supposed to be good for your liver. I bought a Melitta red plastic cone and box of unbleached paper filters (generic brand). I heat up the water in a Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave and just pour it over the grounds in the cone/filter which sits on my mug. Coffee in seconds!
Old 04-17-16, 10:35 AM  
cyana

Late to the thread.....back to the Aeropress.....the DH of a friend became a coffee fanatic after he retired. He's had an Aeropress for well over a year and likes it very much.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-16, 04:26 PM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyana View Post
Late to the thread.....back to the Aeropress.....the DH of a friend became a coffee fanatic after he retired. He's had an Aeropress for well over a year and likes it very much.
Thanks, Cyana! I'm going to go with something cheaper right now and see how I like it. However, I'm keeping the aeropress on my wishlist for later on, maybe as a Christmas gift to myself.

Donna

Tags
aeropress, french press, off topic