Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-17, 06:16 PM  
Bluebelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlita View Post
Clark Howard has a great how-to guide for freezing credit. I did mine in less than 10 minutes. Unfroze it once last year to buy my car. It was easy. You can unfreeze it for a time period or for a certain company only (like I did for my car loan company).
Another Clark Howard fan! Thanks for posting! I just saw the question on this.
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-17, 08:54 AM  
dianestjohn

i just had my cc hacked; Citibank said someone had called them and asked that my cc be added to this person's Apple wallet. The person gave them my mother's maiden name as an identifier which is kinda spooky but I guess wouldn't be too hard to figure out with online resources if someone had my name and address. Citibank gave me the phone number of the person who had called them and I quickly googled that phone number and immediately saw the person's name and home address online, so I was tempted to call and yell at them or make some prank calls or whatever as a revenge tactic, but I assume Citibank will take some sort of action against them.

Hubby and I have been saying that with the total lack of privacy in the world, Wikileaks, the NSA monitoring everything we all do online, maybe people will start buying things in brick and mortar stores and paying with cash or a check, such a radical concept
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-17, 10:09 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianestjohn View Post
i just had my cc hacked; Citibank said someone had called them and asked that my cc be added to this person's Apple wallet. The person gave them my mother's maiden name as an identifier which is kinda spooky but I guess wouldn't be too hard to figure out with online resources if someone had my name and address. Citibank gave me the phone number of the person who had called them and I quickly googled that phone number and immediately saw the person's name and home address online, so I was tempted to call and yell at them or make some prank calls or whatever as a revenge tactic, but I assume Citibank will take some sort of action against them.

Hubby and I have been saying that with the total lack of privacy in the world, Wikileaks, the NSA monitoring everything we all do online, maybe people will start buying things in brick and mortar stores and paying with cash or a check, such a radical concept
I had a horrible experience similar to this. It was indeed spooky scary, but based on how my situation went down, the only thing that makes any sense is for it to have been an inside job. I think I've lost my faith in humanity, if I had ever had any to begin with...
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-17, 11:27 AM  
Dabbadooey

I have stopped using a debit card after it was compromised twice in a short period of time. I also had a credit card compromised recently. I am going back to cold hard cash.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-17, 01:21 PM  
Betty Boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianestjohn View Post
i . . . The person gave them my mother's maiden name as an identifier which is kinda spooky but I guess wouldn't be too hard to figure out with online resources if someone had my name and address. . . .
You might want to change the answers to your security questions to stuff that no one could guess.
Old 05-28-17, 07:18 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I have had my credit card hacked in the past. I found out immediately through an alert. It's important to have alerts set up so that every transaction is either emailed or texted to you immediately.

I think the worst thing is a debit card. I always believed they were risky and never used one, although banks automatically send them to you when you open accounts. I recently went into my bank and told the rep that I don't like to use a debit card, and the next day, my checking account was hacked by someone who had the debit card numbers. It was a weird coincidence. I immediately cancelled the debit card and now I only have an ATM card. With a debit card, you don't need a PIN and can use it as a credit card and the money comes out of your bank account. With an ATM card, you need the PIN.

I understand why some people have to use a debit card, but I think it is better to have prepaid cards as opposed to a debit card linked to your bank account. Ideally, it is best to have no debit card.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 04:45 PM  
Annie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
I have had my credit card hacked in the past. I found out immediately through an alert. It's important to have alerts set up so that every transaction is either emailed or texted to you immediately.

I think the worst thing is a debit card. I always believed they were risky and never used one, although banks automatically send them to you when you open accounts. I recently went into my bank and told the rep that I don't like to use a debit card, and the next day, my checking account was hacked by someone who had the debit card numbers. It was a weird coincidence. I immediately cancelled the debit card and now I only have an ATM card. With a debit card, you don't need a PIN and can use it as a credit card and the money comes out of your bank account. With an ATM card, you need the PIN.

I understand why some people have to use a debit card, but I think it is better to have prepaid cards as opposed to a debit card linked to your bank account. Ideally, it is best to have no debit card.
I NEVER use my debit card to make any purchase, and I tell everyone else not to and how risky it is. Your bank account can be drained before you know it. But now you've got me to thinking, I wonder if I can change mine to be an ATM card only. I've never thought about that before, and it's a great idea and much safer!
Annie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-17, 09:56 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie S. View Post
I NEVER use my debit card to make any purchase, and I tell everyone else not to and how risky it is. Your bank account can be drained before you know it. But now you've got me to thinking, I wonder if I can change mine to be an ATM card only. I've never thought about that before, and it's a great idea and much safer!
I'm wondering too!! I never, EVER use debit, EVER, so what's the point of having one? Never knew you could have an ATM only card! Thank you for that info!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-17, 06:09 PM  
pgun3

Mine was swiped within the last couple days!!! Quite a few charges. Thank God the cc company is on top of them! 3 declined and the others were pending!!
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-17, 12:31 PM  
donellda

I went through this about a month ago. I found 2 odd charges on my card. Both companies had a name with the word dog in it so my cc provider did not flag it because I buy my pet food through a vet supply company. I was a little disappointed that they did not catch it before I did.
donellda is offline   Reply With Quote